Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about a new Tesla Y but have concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I ordered a new Tesla Y performance edition the other day but I have some questions/concerns and was hoping to get some true feedback from customers. I am coming from a Kia Telluride SX that had just about every feature you could imagine in a car.

1. I am concerned about the new camera-only system that Tesla is rolling out on new model 3 and model y cars.
2. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the blind spot warning system. Does it work?
3. I know that buying a Tesla, you are pretty much buying a computer with a car attached to it but spending almost 80K on a car is a lot of money and I guess I'm wondering if maybe I should wait a couple more years before entering the EV market. I mean it seems as if Tesla is cutting some corners when it comes to standard features that are found on other cars costing half as much. Even a simple Heads up display would be nice so you don't always have to look at the screen.

I only drove the Tesla one time and yes, it was fun to drive and I'm sure you have to get used to a new way of driving but I would love to get some thoughts and feedback from current owners.

Thanks in advance.

I don’t have mine yet, but I ordered a few weeks ago. I can’t speak to #1 since I have the same concern. When NHTSA returns the “checkboxes” and the autopilot/lane departure restrictions are removed I’ll be a lot more comfortable with the lack of radar.

I can say that #3 was the biggest worry for both my wife and me going into the test drive. We did the usual 30-minute loop from the Tesla store, and it was a little weird still, since it seemed like a HUD or at least blind spot warnings in the mirrors is pretty standard for the segment. I worried about getting used to it. Then we did an overnight test drive and I took it around for a few hours; it was totally natural by about an hour into it. Honestly, the speedometer on the screen is closer to my field of vision then the gauge cluster is on my wife’s Rogue. The blind spot stuff being replaced by a little diagram is different but workable. It’s less about just looking in the mirror before you change lanes and seeing if the dot is there, and more about glancing down at the picture of what’s around you fairly frequently, and then not being surprised when you change lanes. I always do the shoulder look anyway because I’m just in that habit, so if you’re not then it might be different.

1. I am concerned about the new camera-only system that Tesla is rolling out on new model 3 and model y cars.
I would not be concerned at the SAE autonomous driving Level 2 that the driver is responsible for safe driving, accidents, fatalities...

MobilEye says that vision is perfectly fine at Level 2. However, if it wants Level 3 to 5 (that's when the driving responsibilities are now shifted to the machine when it's in operation and not human drivers) then it says it will add RADAR and LIDAR as well.

2. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the blind spot warning system. Does it work?
It works for me because I bought FSD so it does Auto Lane Change for me and so far, it's perfect in safety in the sense that it has not collided with others yet. It's not perfect technologically because sometimes it doesn't respond to the command to change lane and I have to repeat it again. Also, it might abort in the middle of the Auto Lane Change so abruptly as if it's a drunkard and if there's the police, I am afraid that I might be ticketed.

If you don't have FSD, just standard Autopilot, it does not Auto Lane Change for you but I think it would display in the instrument cluster the red lane line if there's a danger of obstacle but I don't think that's safe to take my eyes away from looking around just to look at the instrument cluster.
3. I know that buying a Tesla, you are pretty much buying a computer with a car attached to it but spending almost 80K on a car is a lot of money and I guess I'm wondering if maybe I should wait a couple more years before entering the EV market. I mean it seems as if Tesla is cutting some corners when it comes to standard features that are found on other cars costing half as much.
You are right about waiting for the high-tech consumer item price to go down with increased features for cheap as long as you can wait.

I have no regret for buying my Tesla Model S in 2012 which I could buy now with many more included features for free and the price is now much cheaper in 2021 comparing to 2012. That's because I don't think I could deprive myself of the state of the art in 2012 at that time.

Even a simple Heads up display would be nice so you don't always have to look at the screen.
People have been begging for that since 2012, the answer has been you won't need it when the car will be autonomous.
I don't think Tesla is receptive to that wish.

I only drove the Tesla one time and yes, it was fun to drive and I'm sure you have to get used to a new way of driving but I would love to get some thoughts and feedback from current owners.
I bought it because I hate ICE and Tesla has a practical EV since 2012.

In addition to the above reason, it has given me bonuses with its convenience (no gas station, no oil changes...), technology, performance, and fun that my passengers agree.

The Model 3's and Y's are not luxury cars. But they are fantastic cars to drive. I love mine. They are very nice but you are right, some corners were cut. Interior is black or white. No Sirius XM or Carplay or Android Auto. Instead you get the longest range EV available at the price point. Want luxury? The S is a bit better but still no SXM or AA or Carplay. But you get nicer interiors and another color

Blind Spot Warning is not really there. It does not work like a traditional vehicle with audible or visual pre alerts in rear view mirrors. If you are going to move over, Tesla says to look at the Touchscreen and the driver visualization will show if its clear or not. I think that is an issue. But if you move over and a car is right there you will get a warning.

Your decision to pull the trigger now or wait but it's like cell phone. Buy it now or wait 2 years and it will be even better.

I got my M3 in early production, love it and would have had an X by now if they didn't shut down for the refresh.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Your decision to pull the trigger now or wait but it's like cell phone. Buy it now or wait 2 years and it will be even better.
And just like a cell phone, 2 years from now there will still be a great new feature that is just over the horizon... if you live that way, you end up still having an old school flip phone when the new folding screen razors came out.

Keith

Hi, I ordered a new Tesla Y performance edition the other day but I have some questions/concerns and was hoping to get some true feedback from customers. I am coming from a Kia Telluride SX that had just about every feature you could imagine in a car.

3. I know that buying a Tesla, you are pretty much buying a computer with a car attached to it but spending almost 80K on a car is a lot of money and I guess I'm wondering if maybe I should wait a couple more years before entering the EV market. I mean it seems as if Tesla is cutting some corners when it comes to standard features that are found on other cars costing half as much. Even a simple Heads up display would be nice so you don't always have to look at the screen.

Thanks in advance.
Just enjoy your purchase! I had a similar set of concerns while I awaited my MY. At the end of the day, the MY is a great car. It’s not perfect, but it’s damn fine car.
The blind spot monitoring is different from the conventional systems used in my previous Audi or Honda’s but it still works all the same - it prevents you from merging onto another vehicle.
The convenience of having a climate controlled car so it’s nice and cool inside when I return to it from running into the store, or the sentry video/dashcam features, the amount of storage space etc...
You shouldn’t worry about tithings too much, you will love the car.

I am in the same situation (waiting on my MY order) and not sure what parts will or will not be on/in the car when taking the final delivery.

One thing that we did was rented a MY for two weeks as a 'test' to experience as much as we could (the rental car didn't have FSD) to see if it would fit into our family.

I have seen a few aftermarket items for heads-up/center screens that might be an option (would be nice if there was an OEM option(s))?

Tesla will be rapidly iterating , making it better. New version expected in a couple of weeks. Unknown how long before it reaches parity with radar system.
Haven't had an issue. I have FSD. Lots of updates in the FSD category also.
Some things on the horizon:
  1. 4680 cells, with rumored 400 mile range. When Texas plant is in full gear. Perhaps a year from now.
  2. Autopilot hardware 4. Rumors suggest end of year. Higher resolution cameras according to Elon.
  3. Hepa filter. I think China version has this.
  4. Just rumor: adjustable suspension
If you don't want to wait and you don't want to miss out on the new stuff, then plan your budget around upgrading in a year.