Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about joining legal action on recent massive price cut

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet, here you are. “These people” would include me. The OP could be seen as satire or serious commentary; you seem to be taking it seriously.

OK, in that case, I’ll say that I felt pretty smart when I bought my car. It was too expensive last fall, and the price became perfect in April. Now it’s more perfect. As long as Tesla can cut production costs and recruit more buyers I say GET THE PRICE DOWN. More owners, more word of mouth, more affordability, much owners. And guess what, I’m going to buy another one. Love the car, love the new price.

One more thought: early adoption is risky, whether it be an early Lego release, a new iPhone or a new car. If you really want it first, you can camp outside the Apple Store door, or buy a Lego kit from a scalper on eBay or put up a deposit for the Model 3 or Y. But you’ll pay more, sometimes a lot more, thousands more... If you bought a Model 3 three months ago like I did, and you’re posting about class action then you’re either naive, not very introspective, or you’re writing (as I said) satire.
Stupid autocorrect, “more owners” not ”much owners”

When I purchased ICE cars I would wait until the new model year came out and get a great deal on stock left on the lot. That opportunity was available once a year and you could get got deals. I discounted $7,000 of a Civic EX doing that. Discounted a lot off a G37x doing that as well.
The second option is to order and wait. When the new model 2015 WRX came out I ordered one from the deals and waited 3 months for it to come in. I received that about $4k under under sticker at a time when these were not selling with a large discount.

I paid almost $65,000 for my non performance dual motor with EAP and FSD. I don't feel like I got ripped off because I paid what they were selling the car for.

I expected this to happen. Unless you are an extremely uneducated person you have to understand that as mass production is perfected and R&D is paid down products will become cheaper. All the "production hell" news stories should have been a major tip-off as well so no excuses.

The goal is to replace ICE cars on a large scale so everyone should be complaining Tesla needs to sell these for $25,000 and not complaining about price cuts.

Whiny and entitled. Deal with it.

You got taken, sucka. You ain’t getting it back. As a shareholder thanks for padding my bottom line.

Now gonna go drive my M3P. Best car I ever had, my Model S included.

As a shareholder, you should be concerned about shrinking margins. While lower costs are great for buyers, it takes away from shareholder profits so some of us have mixed feelings on the topic.

As a shareholder, you should be concerned about shrinking margins. While lower costs are great for buyers, it takes away from shareholder profits so some of us have mixed feelings on the topic.
Good thing you are not running the company.

Tesla is creating endless demand at these price points. When the manufacturing process is properly ramped up and optimized Tesla’s profit margins will still be crushing ICE competition due to the greatly reduced complexity of the BEV platform and the cheapest most advanced batteries in the world.

No, not concerned about shrinking margins. More concerned that Tesla was forced to abandon hyper growth to address the false concerns of trolls and shorts regarding profits and cash flow even though they are obliterating the competition which is still issuing press releases about how formidable they will be five years from now. The trolls and shorts were successful in slowing down Tesla’s relentless expansion and making themselves a few bucks with their endless fake narratives. Too bad, set us all back another couple of years.

Good thing you are not running the company.

Tesla is creating endless demand at these price points. When the manufacturing process is properly ramped up and optimized Tesla’s profit margins will still be crushing ICE competition due to the greatly reduced complexity of the BEV platform and the cheapest most advanced batteries in the world.

No, not concerned about shrinking margins. More concerned that Tesla was forced to abandon hyper growth to address the false concerns of trolls and shorts regarding profits and cash flow even though they are obliterating the competition which is still issuing press releases about how formidable they will be five years from now. The trolls and shorts were successful in slowing down Tesla’s relentless expansion and making themselves a few bucks with their endless fake narratives. Too bad, set us all back another couple of years.
And I’m glad you’re not running it if you think the demand is endless and the reason for any potential failure is the shorts. Why would Tesla abandon its mission due to fake media if they’re taking deposits left, right and center on cars not even in production? Tesla can’t be compared to present ICE manufacturers, but unfortunately at some point demand will drop due to competition and saturation.

And I’m glad you’re not running it if you think the demand is endless and the reason for any potential failure is the shorts. Why would Tesla abandon its mission due to fake media if they’re taking deposits left, right and center on cars not even in production? Tesla can’t be compared to present ICE manufacturers, but unfortunately at some point demand will drop due to competition and saturation.

Tesla can fail for many reasons. Shorts took over the narrative recently with this false crap about falling demand, the same narrative they have been using since 2012 but god forbid there is a quarter where Tesla doesn’t break its delivery records. I mean we all know there is no seasonality in the auto market right?

When you are establishing an essentially new market for a product no one else is making with ever increasing demand at the proper price point there is no reason to count your profits until you have approached saturation. BEVs are at one percent? Two percent of market?

Anyway, let’s agree to disagree. I have no problems with the price, ESPECIALLY not from the perspective of what it is costing me. You buy a new car with the expectation you will hemorrhage asset value. If you think otherwise then you are a glass half full kind of person to an extreme and to your own detriment. The idea that the company should have to answer to you if they proceed to cut prices is asinine to say the least.

With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

Not sure if I'd line up at the stores overnight or put reservation money.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

I can't even imagine how recent S or X owners feel right now.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?

You don't have a leg to stand on. You agreed to pay a price for a car. You paid that price and got the car. Companies change their prices all the time. They have a legal right to do so. Tesla has no legal obligation to refund money to people who bought a car before a price reduction.

Not only that, if Tesla wanted to, they could charge everyone who wanted a car a different price. (Other car makers do this daily!) If I owned a bakery and I wanted to charge blue-eyed people less than brown-eyed people, I could do it. As long as you're not discriminating against a protected class. And "People who bought their cars a month ago" are not a protected class.

Your lawsuit will be thrown out of court faster than you can say "I think the world owes me something for nothing."

Stop being a baby and accept that you got a great car at a great price, and if someone else got one cheaper that does not affect you in any way. America has far too many lawyers and they make the country a worse place. Along with self-entitled people who jump to sue someone any time they're unhappy about something.

With the recent major price reduction, I feel like I'm hit with the penalty for being a few months earlier adopter.

Not sure if I'd line up at the stores overnight or put reservation money.

I bet many of you, the loan balance is higher than how much you can buy the cars right now. Even with the tax credit refunds.

I can't even imagine how recent S or X owners feel right now.

You can easily disregard by saying 'that's how business works' but US is a country with lawsuits with a few MPG difference.

If there's no compensation gesture from Tesla, I'm willing to join a party with legal action. Do any of you know which firms are cooking up those ideas?
Grow up.

Manufactures change pricing ALL the time. You got what you agreed to and paid for

Reactions: CyberShy and KG M3
1. someone makes an offer:
2. someone accepts an offer:
3. parties exchange some consideration (ie a deposit) or simply shake hands

And yet this is uncomprehensable for Tesla.

1. Ordered LR-RWD for some 53k
2. While such cars were still in inventory, DS configured an AWD for 57k for me. When objected I got "Tesla is not making RWD any more".
3. 2 days before delivery I get "Because you are not from this country you need to pay 1800 EUR more than order agreement states". Oh, but the car is there waiting for immediate delivery.
4. I pay and get next call: car is not there any more, wait for next shipping or pay 1070 more for the car that is avaiable
5. I pay that and get Car is broken, delivery is not possible, wait for parts
6. And next day Final invoice says I need to pay another 800 for some Direct delivery.

Total sleaziness.
Dropping the price after I drive off in the car is bliss compared to this.

early adoption is risky.
I agree.
but I thought model S and model X buyers were early adopters.
when is it not an early adoption for tesla buyers? 2021?
Good point. I made my purchase 16 years after Tesla was founded, 7 years after the Model S production began. Hardly early adoption. But my car turns heads and attracts strangers who want to know about my exotic car. It’s still sensational in Saint Louis. So, to my neighbors I’m an early adopter. But I don’t feel that way; I’m driving pretty mature technology. Maybe I should have made a distinction between early adoption and wanting to be the first in line for a new model. I did neither. Nor did the OP. And as far as those who bought the car in 2018 or 2017? They had a year or two extra of driving fun before the rest of us. And they got rainbow glass. That’s the part that really gets me. I want those red globs of water on my glass roof, seriously.

I ordered the Stealth Performance the day ordering opened so I paid the higher price.

Got, supposedly, free lifetime connectivity stuff, free supercharging, $7500 tax credit, the fun of owning and driving that car since Aug 8 2018. Took advantage of $5k (plus the little bit of tax) rebate to get MPP brakes on the car and a small bit of Tesla stock. Track mode showed up too and that's a minimally used but maximally appreciated perk - for me. For nearly 1 year, no petrol fuel costs and am lucky enough that 90+ percent of charging my car is done at work so there's that too. Maintenance? What's that? I can rotate some tires.. No pricy oil changes or other exaggerated costs.

The Audi we have, an A3 hybrid, was initially selling with very little dealer flexibility because it was carpool lane enabled, but with really great financing because they needed to move green(er) cars in Ca. The car was discontinued in favor of the big fat e-tron SUV and the last of the A3s were a steal to buy in comparison to first day wannabe owners.

What's my point? Prices always change, getting the newest one almost first is gonna cost you.. Pretty much always been true that the best car deal is one where someone else ate the first couple year deprecation costs..

Enjoy and good luck

Reactions: MXWing and UTMB
Good point. I made my purchase 16 years after Tesla was founded, 7 years after the Model S production began. Hardly early adoption. But my car turns heads and attracts strangers who want to know about my exotic car. It’s still sensational in Saint Louis. So, to my neighbors I’m an early adopter. But I don’t feel that way; I’m driving pretty mature technology. Maybe I should have made a distinction between early adoption and wanting to be the first in line for a new model. I did neither. Nor did the OP. And as far as those who bought the car in 2018 or 2017? They had a year or two extra of driving fun before the rest of us. And they got rainbow glass. That’s the part that really gets me. I want those red globs of water on my glass roof, seriously.
Yes, the sight of the red orange globs of water on the glass roof is quite mesmerizing. I bought mine in 2019 and it came with that glass. I got quite lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.