Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking about upgrading to Performance. Change my mind.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, I will HAVE to switch to TOU when I get the car, right now it looks like it would not benefit me as peak usage will double in price for a large part of the year my NEM1 usage credits keep things in check. But my current estimated bill is already over $1700 per year + my solar loan of $3000 in payments. The power squeeze is all over the news here, popping up on nextdoor etc due to recent heat wave. Power last month was $350 + $250 on my solar loan, we have 32 panels but ran the AC allot (several days were 115 degress outside).
SDG&E customers outraged over summertime high usage charges
TOU will be required for the tesla, but they can simply change their mind at any point in time and screw us all over again if they want to.

Anyways, ditching EAP seems like removing 1/2 the point of owning a tesla. my commute is 82 miles per day (or more) so I use cruise control every day on my volt. I mean I will still have CC just not TACC so I guess that would be ok? Performance can't be upgraded later..

If you drive 82 miles per day, definitely keep EAP in my opinion. I only drive 12 miles per day, so I didn’t get EAP but Im still thinking about whether I should add it...

I would def drop the FSD and wheels at this point, especially if helps you get the P.

Ah. But you're able to upgrade through the website?
I believe you can add via phone call. This is probably the best way to upgrade so that you don't have to pay any of the increased costs.
Website upgrade still shows 53k for AWD and $1500 white paint for me. I think I should call tesla to be sure I can get unlimited supercharging still, otherwise I'll stick with my $1000 discount and AWD. Maybe I'm I'm being pennywise though hah.

Ok so going to P is 11k more instead of 10k more because I ordered the AWD early.

Is it worth the 11k difference or a 10k difference?

I feel bad ordering it because I lose my $1000 discount that I currently have on the AWD.

Also, can I give myself free supercharging?

You can refer yourself if you are an existing owner. If not, another owner needs to give you their code.

I'll try to suggest a solution that will make you feel at peace either way.

If you intend to keep the car for approximately 3 years only - go AWD.

5 or more, go P.

Wishing you had P for 5 years + would suck. Not a big deal for AWD if it wasn't going to stay forever.

You can refer yourself if you are an existing owner. If not, another owner needs to give you their code.

I'll try to suggest a solution that will make you feel at peace either way.

If you intend to keep the car for approximately 3 years only - go AWD.

5 or more, go P.

Wishing you had P for 5 years + would suck. Not a big deal for AWD if it wasn't going to stay forever.
If the car is good I see no reason to keep it for less than 8 years. But I also wonder how well out of warranty teslas do. I mean I'll be putting 25k-30k miles on it per year...

If the car is good I see no reason to keep it for less than 8 years. But I also wonder how well out of warranty teslas do. I mean I'll be putting 25k-30k miles on it per year...

My logic behind 5+ is so you don't get burned by depreciation. 8 years is fine which is the battery warranty.

Perhaps after 15 years its got 50 miles range left but hey its a super fast LEAF. :D

I think 3.5 second will be fast in 8 years still. 4.5... pretty fast - but not 3.5 fast.

I have been thinking of upgrading my AWD to a P before my edit button disappears because I'm afraid that I might wish I would have down the road. Overall I think the P model is a great value for the performance you get. That being said the AWD, especially if you got the 4k price, is really a sweet spot in terms of price and performance.

I have been thinking of upgrading my AWD to a P before my edit button disappears because I'm afraid that I might wish I would have down the road. Overall I think the P model is a great value for the performance you get. That being said the AWD, especially if you got the 4k price, is really a sweet spot in terms of price and performance.
Yea I love the fact that my car went up in value before it was was even built hah.

Reactions: jsrawa
I'm right there with you on this internal struggle. I've personally been paying a lot of attention to my daily driving recently, and frankly the opportunities up in the Seattle area to go full acceleration, even for a short while are few and far between (the traffic just sucks up here). I still desperately want it, but I'd only get to use it use it 2-4 times a day, sometimes zero the way even the metered on ramps can get backed up.
On the flip side, when will I ever have another opportunity to buy a car this fast at this price? Once the existing EV tax credit stops benefiting the 2 main American EV auto makers (Tesla/GM) I doubt it will continue much longer in it's current for and I doubt there will ever be one this generous again. This could be the best opportunity for a long time to buy a car this fast at this price.

In the end, even a 4.5 second car is going to be a massive improvement over my current car and I'll be able to get EAP, sport wheels, white seats, and still have money left over instead. Though really my decision between awd vs P is never going to be final until the Sept 15th deadline for free super charging has passed.

Just my 2¢: Performance would be extremely cool. That's half a second quicker than my Roadster. But you don't actually need it, and the base Model 3 is no slouch at all. If you could afford it without giving up EAP I'd say go for it. I'd have gotten AWD Performance as well as EAP if it had been available in first production rather than having to wait.

But EAP is the best thing ever. If I had to choose between Performance or EAP I'd take EAP in an eyeblink! The car drives itself 95% of my freeway/highway driving and makes driving SOOOOOOOOO much more relaxing!

My recommendation: Don't give up EAP. If you can't afford both, skip the Performance.

Ok, so I ended up using a friends referral code I hope he gets something cool. I'm confirming with tesla that the order went through correctly and I get free supercharging.

Also, I kept the EAP, so YAY Ramen Noodles and rice for the next 2 months.

Oh yea, wife said no deal changing the order if I don't keep EAP, so I ended up with EAP and P, but ditched FSD. Hopefully it will be available to upgrade to on 2.5 hardware in the future when it comes out, because pretty sure I just lost out on that free EAP 3.0 upgrade.

edit: Rep is saying I only get one year unlimited supercharging for using the referral code :(

Ok, so I ended up using a friends referral code [...]

edit: Rep is saying I only get one year unlimited supercharging for using the referral code :(

Your rep is poorly informed: From Referral Program
Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance: Free Unlimited Supercharging
Owners can give five friends free, unlimited Supercharging with the purchase of a new Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance. After September 16, 2018, full unlimited Supercharging will go away and owners will be able to give friends one year of unlimited Supercharging.