Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking to swapping month old SR+ with LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla owners,

Bought SR+ MSM month back (delivered on 06/07), I absolutely love the car and every moment inside the car. Since last one week I am feeling to trade/exchange with LR RWD if possible, I know return/exchange policy is 7 days or 1000 miles whichever is 1st. The reason for this thought as i drive about 100 miles in a day and current range on sr+ is around 135 mile on full charge and it is more than enough for my daily commute.
For some reason i am feeling extra 5 or 6k is totally worth it .

so far i got about 1200 miles on my car (two weeks i was on vacation). Please suggest your thoughts and is it possible or worth it ..

Thanks

Hello Tesla owners,

Bought SR+ MSM month back (delivered on 06/07), I absolutely love the car and every moment inside the car. Since last one week I am feeling to trade/exchange with LR RWD if possible, I know return/exchange policy is 7 days or 1000 miles whichever is 1st. The reason for this thought as i drive about 100 miles in a day and current range on sr+ is around 135 mile on full charge and it is more than enough for my daily commute.

so far i got about 1200 miles on my car (two weeks i was on vacation). Please suggest your thoughts and is it possible or worth it ..

Thanks
Tesla will never take it, and if they do you can't buy another Tesla within 12 months.
Tesla Returns Policy said:

Hello Tesla owners,

Thanks
Only 135 miles?

Tesla will never take it, and if they do you can't buy another Tesla within 12 months.

Wait a second, this isn’t the standard 7 day return policy, right? Because they must hide that info somewhere else since they specifically mention if you do return it and decide to order a new one it’ll be treated as a new order and with current pricing. No mention that you can’t buy one for another year...

Wait a second, this isn’t the standard 7 day return policy, right? Because they must hide that info somewhere else since they specifically mention if you do return it and decide to order a new one it’ll be treated as a new order and with current pricing. No mention that you can’t buy one for another year...
Yes, it's the 7 day policy, strange that it's just for the UK.
Maybe it's just something they can protect themselves with, and they don't usually enforce it.

I dont think this OP thinks he is going to be able to "return" the car to tesla under the return policy. That aint happening. In order for OP to do this, OP would have to SELL the current car, with the depreciation hit that would ensue, and then purchase a LR Tesla.

OP, not sure how you are only getting 135 miles range on a full charge, unless you are driving with HUGE elevation change, and/or driving extremely (90+ miles per hour) fast.

The cost to do this will be not only the cost difference between the two cars, but also the amount of money you will lose on the trade in / sale of your current car. You will likely lose 5-7k on the trade in (if you are lucky.. might be a bit more), as well as then have to pay the difference in the two cars. It might actually be a bit more, because anyone taking the car in trade will know they have to sell it used (and that anyone purchasing it used will not be eligible for the tax credit), so you have to tack that loss onto the trade in price.

This is no different than trying to trade in a very low mileage ICE car btw. Trading in / selling a very low mileage car is always a losing proposition from the money perspective.

Now, only you can know if its "worth it" to end up losing somewhere between 5-7k on the trade in, plus the difference in price for the vehicles... and I dont even know if the LR RWD is still available off menu. I thought it was discontinued.. meaning you will need to go with the AWD (for even more increase in cost, which is 10k). So.. is it worth it to pay somewhere around 15k to 17k more for you? Only you can answer that, but I bet if you actually sit down to pencil out the loss, you will see around that much money lost.

1. Only 135 miles on a SR+ with a full charge seems really low. What does your commute look like? Cabin Overheat Protection, Sentry Mode?
2. $5-6k for the LR RWD is good if you want the upgraded audio, Premium Connectivity, slight performance bump and more range. Only you can decide.
3. Telsa will more than likely low-ball your trade, which means you would need to weigh the difference between selling it to a Carmax, etc. vs. trading it to Tesla for the sales tax savings assuming you only pay tax on the difference in your state. Unfortunately, in your case the cost delta between an SR+ and LR RWD is no longer $5-6k. It is $5-6k plus destination, fees, tax, plus what you will lose on the SR+. So ask yourself if it is worth $12-14k or more to make this switch. That said, if your priorities are in line and you can afford it Tesla would be happy to take your money. ;)

Reactions: Leafdriver333
How are you only getting 135 miles on a full charge, OP? I get above the rated range going around 55 MPH, and you should get at least 190 miles going 70+ MPH.

trip_chart.jpg

1. Only 135 miles on a SR+ with a full charge seems really low. What does your commute look like? Cabin Overheat Protection, Sentry Mode?
2. $5-6k for the LR RWD is good if you want the upgraded audio, Premium Connectivity, slight performance bump and more range. Only you can decide.
3. Telsa will more than likely low-ball your trade, which means you would need to weigh the difference between selling it to a Carmax, etc. vs. trading it to Tesla for the sales tax savings assuming you only pay tax on the difference in your state. Unfortunately, in your case the cost delta between an SR+ and LR RWD is no longer $5-6k. It is $5-6k plus destination, fees, tax, plus what you will lose on the SR+. So ask yourself if it is worth $12-14k or more to make this switch. That said, if your priorities are in line and you can afford it Tesla would be happy to take your money. ;)

thank you for your insights, it is actually 235 miles, typo :)

I dont think this OP thinks he is going to be able to "return" the car to tesla under the return policy. That aint happening. In order for OP to do this, OP would have to SELL the current car, with the depreciation hit that would ensue, and then purchase a LR Tesla.

OP, not sure how you are only getting 135 miles range on a full charge, unless you are driving with HUGE elevation change, and/or driving extremely (90+ miles per hour) fast.

The cost to do this will be not only the cost difference between the two cars, but also the amount of money you will lose on the trade in / sale of your current car. You will likely lose 5-7k on the trade in (if you are lucky.. might be a bit more), as well as then have to pay the difference in the two cars. It might actually be a bit more, because anyone taking the car in trade will know they have to sell it used (and that anyone purchasing it used will not be eligible for the tax credit), so you have to tack that loss onto the trade in price.

This is no different than trying to trade in a very low mileage ICE car btw. Trading in / selling a very low mileage car is always a losing proposition from the money perspective.

Now, only you can know if its "worth it" to end up losing somewhere between 5-7k on the trade in, plus the difference in price for the vehicles... and I dont even know if the LR RWD is still available off menu. I thought it was discontinued.. meaning you will need to go with the AWD (for even more increase in cost, which is 10k). So.. is it worth it to pay somewhere around 15k to 17k more for you? Only you can answer that, but I bet if you actually sit down to pencil out the loss, you will see around that much money lost.

Hello ,

Thank your insights.. i totally agree it is not worth to spend all that extra money. my bad typo mistake.. it is 235 miles on full charge.

Hello All,

Sorry for the typo, my bad. it is actually 235 miles on full charge.

Thank you again with all your kind responses and valuable insights.

As raptor5244 says , i don't think it is worth to spend extra 12k to 14k if it is really that much :)

It is called settling and it sucks but it is the wise financial move. We are blessed to be able to own and drive any of these cars. Drive it for a 3-4 years until depreciation levels off and then see what the next move is. I think we will be in for exciting times over the next decade as more and more EVs hit the market. A EV pickup truck that does 0-60 in 3 seconds sounds like it could be fun. If they ever stick an electric motor in a 2300lb Miata for $35k I might not be able to resist. :)

• Love
Reactions: Kali and jjrandorin
Hello Tesla owners,

Thanks

Have you looked into the winter-range effects, says you are in Colorado, so that would be a concern to be aware of.

Keep and enjoy your current car. In a couple of years, upgrade if you want to. Alternatively, visit the "waiting room" thread and someone my buy it from you at nearly what you paid for it. Good luck!

Edit: Visit this thread as well.

Buying a used Tesla 3 advice...
Thank you for all your insights. decided to stick to it and got windows tinted.. looks beautiful. . thinking to get FSD and keep it for 5 years.

Have you looked into the winter-range effects, says you are in Colorado, so that would be a concern to be aware of.
Colorado front range (foothills) is far better than Midwest and northeast from snow & winter prospective, simply its dry and snow melts very fast.. plus more snow only in mountains not in foothills. I always got two sets of wheel & tires.