Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Party Servicing in Brisbane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any third party mechanics in Brisbane that have experience with EVs, and preferably Teslas? While I haven't had any issues with the car so far, it's about time I got a tyre rotation, and I wouldn't mind using the opportunity for someone else to give it a look over.

I'd just like to have a look underneath - put it on a hoist and have a good look as we scuff somewhere underneath on our driveway sometimes, but I don't know where or how severely. So I've bought a set of pucks and was going to ask the local Ultratune if they'd mind.

I scratched up the passenger side alloys & found Alloy Doctor at Windsor had experience with the 3 so already knew what needed doing for jacking it up. Did a great job too if you're ever unlucky enough to follow my lead.

Keen to hear if you find somewhere with knowledge.

Are there any third party mechanics in Brisbane that have experience with EVs, and preferably Teslas? While I haven't had any issues with the car so far, it's about time I got a tyre rotation, and I wouldn't mind using the opportunity for someone else to give it a look over.
You dont service a tesla on a regular basis like you do with a dinosaur car. Any tyre shop can deal with your tyres, the chances of your brakes not going full life of the car are slim, and dont forget to top up that washer fluid. Tesla no longer recommend annual servicing.

Brake fluid goes off on its own, so while the shelf-life is recommended in some brands as being 2 years in the workshop it is prudent to change it even in cars that are stored and unused, so that must apply to ours. Someone more knowledgeable than I would probably be able to put a time on it...

I was trying to find where I read 8 years somewhere for the model 3. Will add the link if I find that.

Brake fluid goes off on its own, so while the shelf-life is recommended in some brands as being 2 years in the workshop it is prudent to change it even in cars that are stored and unused, so that must apply to ours. Someone more knowledgeable than I would probably be able to put a time on it...

I was trying to find where I read 8 years somewhere for the model 3. Will add the link if I find that.
That is correct, brake fluid is hydroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture. This in time will contaminate the fluid through the vent in the master cylinder. Once moisture is in the system, it can corrode parts in the brake system. It's a cheap and easy preventative maintenance item every 2 years that could save big $ further down the track. You don't want to compromise on brakes!

On the use of the pucks, I bought a set made from a hard rubber. The type I bought, deform and squash under the load of the car to the point where my hoist arms were touching the black plastic trim. I ended up buying another set that are made from aluminium which are much better, and dearer.

Another item to note, is although I have a hoist suitable for low vehicles, I need to run my Model 3 Performance on a sheet of 20mm plywood so the hoist arm can swing under the lift points. Might be worth just mentioning to any independent mechanic you present your car to,

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
You dont service a tesla on a regular basis like you do with a dinosaur car. Any tyre shop can deal with your tyres, the chances of your brakes not going full life of the car are slim, and dont forget to top up that washer fluid. Tesla no longer recommend annual servicing.
I know, but it'd be nice to have someone confirm that there's say no missing bolts, or abnormal wear visible anywhere, while they check and rotate the tires.

Reactions: strykeroz
Copied from the PDF.

upload_2020-11-2_13-51-45.png

upload_2020-11-2_13-52-9.png

I'd just like to have a look underneath - put it on a hoist and have a good look as we scuff somewhere underneath on our driveway sometimes, but I don't know where or how severely. So I've bought a set of pucks and was going to ask the local Ultratune if they'd mind...
Just following up on this one, we had an ICE in for service at Ultratune Arana Hills and I asked about putting the M3 up on the hoist. They were great about it, and we did it yesterday when we were picking the other vehicle up (I wasn't charged which was great too).

They have two hoists, and we used one you just drive onto so no need for my pucks this time. We had a good look around underneath with a torch and confirmed everything's in great shape which was the best news. We chatted about brakes and I'll be seeing them again in September next year when the car turns 2 to check the brake fluid and likely proactively replace that 12V battery.

Unless something breaks and we need to talk to Tesla under warranty these regular service items including the wipers & cabin filters are either DIY or can be done by your regular garage after having a physical look around the thing.

FWIW they also confirmed 2 years for replacing brake fluid even in cars that are stored without use.