Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Can't be good... screen issues with 2019.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine did something similar yesterday as well.

Attachments

• D447D27B-616B-4A6C-9C3E-E3ADDE65DD28.jpeg
    D447D27B-616B-4A6C-9C3E-E3ADDE65DD28.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 93
As others have noted, my 08/18 build previously had zero screen glitches or any reason to reboot.

On 8.3 I had my screen glitch, requiring a reboot, and then I had it self reboot while driving.

Last Sunday, I had the posted glitch occur on 8.5, and performed a manual reboot.

Is it possible this is an issue caused by their prostration for accepting HW3.0 on new production?

I as well am on 8.5 and had this happen to me for the first time. When I zoomed out on the GPS, it actually got rid of the red lines. However, on my drive to work, after seeing those red lines on the GPS for the first time, the screen randomly rebooted as others have mentioned. Pretty wild to drive on "senses" only while waiting for it to reboot. haha

Happened to me a couple of times. I'm on 8.3.

I wish Tesla would make it a point to stress that the car will drive completely normally if the screen crashes or reboots. I've seen a lot of people asking the same question or worrying about it. No reason to panic! It's not that difficult to drive without a speedometer.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Happened to me a couple of times. I'm on 8.3.

I wish Tesla would make it a point to stress that the car will drive completely normally if the screen crashes or reboots. I've seen a lot of people asking the same question or worrying about it. No reason to panic! It's not that difficult to drive without a speedometer.

Again, I don't think anyone is panicking. We're just making an observation of this issue. For me, it was 4 months of ownership without it ever happening, then about 6 times in the past 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Again, I don't think anyone is panicking. We're just making an observation of this issue. For me, it was 4 months of ownership without it ever happening, then about 6 times in the past 2-3 weeks.

Okay, should I panic or at least put an inquiry into Tesla now? Last night getting into the car to leave work, where it was plugged in and charged to my 85% limit, the screen was dark and unresponsive. I stepped on the brake, but screen did not fire up and my seat did not change to my memorized settings like normal. However, I was still able to drive forward. I had expected the screen to automatically reboot, but it didn't after about a minute. I reparked into my spot and attempted the 2-button hard reboot. Waited 30 seconds, nothing. Repeated 2nd time, nothing. Repeated a 3rd time, still nothing. On 4th attempt it finally came back on after about 20 seconds. All normal after that. Never had to wait that long for a reboot before (not complete, just talking about on-screen acknowledgement of Tesla logo) or needed a 2nd attempt. I'm currently on 2019.8.5 as of Monday night.

What makes you think that?

I just had the same issue yesterday on 2019.8.5. It's software because: 1) multiple people see a similar style of display corruption 2) it, specifically, looks like shape bounds errors when drawing into the display framebuffer. Some of the corruption stays and moves slowly down the screen as the map scrolls. I don't think you can produce this with bad hardware. (It's not behaving like your desktop gpu does when you overclock it, for example.)

I, too, experienced screen craziness this am as I prepared to leave my garage for work. This is the first issue I have had since taking possession in Dec of last year. (Ver. 2019.8.5, current) The screen was wildly flickering a lot of latent images, with my streaming audio selections staying static and functional. I worried that the vehicle proximity screen would be affected but, once I got into traffic, the ghost cars around me were ever present. The flickering stopped after about 6 mi of driving BUT, my speed limit was a very light gray, difficult to see. The nav earth view was vibrant, as usual. I leave for home in about an hour and we'll see if it corrected further. If not, I'm heading to reboot city! I must say, after reading all the posts, something is afoot(?) What's Tesla up to?

Last edited:
I, too, experienced screen craziness this am as I prepared to leave my garage for work. This is the first issue I have had since taking possession in Dec of last year. (Ver. 2019.8.5, current) The screen was wildly flickering a lot of latent images, with my streaming audio selections staying static and functional. I worried that the vehicle proximity screen would be affected but, once I got into traffic, the ghost cars around me were ever present. The flickering stopped after about 6 mi of driving BUT, my speed limit was a very light gray, difficult to see. The nav earth view was vibrant, as usual. I leave for home in about an hour and we'll see if it corrected further. If not, I'm heading to reboot city! I must say, after reading all the posts, something is afoot(?) What's Tesla up to?
Update: Errant pixels on screen when leaving work. Reset at home. All is well again, in paradise!