Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is devastating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you probably missed the other thread.. you most likely also missed this informative post by Lasairfion:

VINs of cars who lost back bumper?

Other anecdotal examples of the rear bumper "falling off"

Tesla Model S
Vauxhall
Scion
Cadillac
Subaru

Apparently driving through water deep enough to catch the rear bumper could dislodge/damage the rear bumper cover causing it to "fall off".

Don't drive through water:

Driving through water can cause long term damage:

Cars hitting water while driving. Notice where all the force of the water is directed- right into the wheel wells and fender skirts.

Examples of why not to drive your ICE vehicle through water. (hint, water is not compressible)

Off-road tips on how to ford water. Notice how slow the vehicles are going, and how they use the front fender to push a bow wake in front of the vehicle.

It should be noted, in my service manuals and owners manual that came with my Land Rover, they are very clear that driving through water is not recommended ever for any reason, and any damage deemed to be from driving through water will not be covered under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
"I can't imagine this happening if applied as designed. Unless the bolts were not secured / washered properly."

this is wrong. it happened to me (so it's happened at least 3 times). IMO this would occur to almost any model3 driven through the water I was in when it happened. the bolts ripped out of the bumper cover which is (plastic), they did not become unfastened.

the stuff posted about this are absurd. it's not the bumper - its just the cover. it's not the rain - it's the rainwater on the street. the bumper cover is not defective per se - it's just not built (or tested) to tolerated being driven in 1-2 feet of water. most importantly it's really stupid to think that one can always avoid driving in some water on occasion when you live anywhere with torrential rains storms.