Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is pathetic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotted here in Los Angeles. I suppose the bumper could have been a replacement after a repair? Somehow I doubt it, and even if it is, it should match better than this. I wonder if this is age? I will say my bumper is very slightly off in color but nothing close to this.

Attachments

• 358CAD65-133F-462E-B006-2CFE8A762E86.jpeg
    358CAD65-133F-462E-B006-2CFE8A762E86.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 141
Look carefully on the mismatch of the bumper on our Model Y.. Zoom in if needed.

PXL_20210317_164147592.jpg

Now, let me say that our vehicle has been wrapped.

IMG_20201013_180943.jpg

I think we may be looking at something more than a mismatch of paint color.

I have been buying white cars forever. Plastic and metal just do not show the same colors no matter who makes them or who supplies the paint, just the way it is with water based paints. My Mercedes is very similar. This is not a mismatch of paint.

Go back in time to oil based paints and now we are talking, my 1996 Mercedes SL has almost no perceptible color difference between the plastic bumper cover and the metal of the car.

Never really noticed it though but here you can see mine is similar as well as everybody else's. Really depends on the lighting as to how noticeable it is.
IMG_2856 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I have been buying white cars forever. Plastic and metal just do not show the same colors no matter who makes them or who supplies the paint, just the way it is with water based paints. My Mercedes is very similar. This is not a mismatch of paint.

Go back in time to oil based paints and now we are talking, my 1996 Mercedes SL has almost no perceptible color difference between the plastic bumper cover and the metal of the car.

Never really noticed it though but here you can see mine is similar as well as everybody else's. Really depends on the lighting as to how noticeable it is.

I've owned plenty of white cars, and virtually every OE has figured out how to color match their bumpers and panels with modern paint. Tesla doesn't get a pass on this.

VW nails it:

DSC_3921%20web-M.jpg

DSCF1293w-M.jpg

BMW nails it:

DSC_1254-M.jpg

Even Toyota gets it close enough that you need your nose on the paint to notice any mismatch.

IMG_1016-M.jpg

I see this all over town. Every white MY I've seen has a color mismatched bumper. It's shocking that Tesla is unable to figure out how to properly blend the two and it seems they don't care enough to fix this problem. What's even more shocking is people are comfortable buying a vehicle with two tone livery. Different strokes...

Reactions: Exelion and 2101Guy
varies from car maker to car maker, and even some models within a mfr's lineup. My guess is that in some cases, bumpers are painted on a different assy line and painted in batches.

On another line is the car body/doors getting painted. Body/Doors could be a different day, different bay, different paint batches..

Im certainly not "giving tesla a pass", but I'd be lying if I said I didnt see same thing on other cars. (like my wifes Lexus RX350 that I sold last year.)

Also, certain colors will display the issue more prominently than other colors to the human eye