Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is what getting sideswiped in a Model 3 looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ironically I was listening to the electrek podcast where they had just discussed the crash test and in particular side impact tests. As it turns out, they were right, but I didn't know I'd find out for myself just a few minutes later. Also, remember to verify that both your cameras are working. For some reason my rear camera had stopped working (probably loose connector or something), so I never got the critical rear camera shot, even though the LEDs on the front camera showed that everything was in order.

Just wow. Glad you are OK.

How do you even avoid stuff like that even if you are constantly watching every car around you? What was the excuse for that sideswipe? Can people just not drive anymore at all? I am sure these are examples of why the industry is really hyped on FSD cars.

Ironically I was listening to the electrek podcast where they had just discussed the crash test and in particular side impact tests. As it turns out, they were right, but I didn't know I'd find out for myself just a few minutes later. Also, remember to verify that both your cameras are working. For some reason my rear camera had stopped working (probably loose connector or something), so I never got the critical rear camera shot, even though the LEDs on the front camera showed that everything was in order.

Very sorry to hear this and glad the occupants are okay. Thanks for sharing the footage.

What? No swearing or crying in the audio? You are one steely-eyed missile man @schwedisch.

Were you on autopilot? Obviously running v9. Did you hit the dashcam icon to save the video? Hope you are back on the road soon.

I was on autopilot, but I can't remember if I had disengaged it or not at the time of impact. As soon as I heard the squealing tires, I knew something was up and I wanted to move into the left lane just in case something was coming my way, so I was checking my blindspot before trying to do an evasive maneuver, but obviously it was too late.. having said that, I'm not sure whether or not the autopilot was on at the moments of impact.

I'm actually surprised myself at how calm I appear to be but I guess it just took some time for the situation to sink in.

Just wow. Glad you are OK.

How do you even avoid stuff like that even if you are constantly watching every car around you? What was the excuse for that sideswipe? Can people just not drive anymore at all? I am sure these are examples of why the industry is really hyped on FSD cars.

I've been thinking about what I could have done different. I was driving on autopilot and listening to a podcast, and I wasn't monitoring my blindspot constantly. Had I known for sure that my blindspot was clear, I might have been able to get out of the way in time. I've been told that it is better not to attempt any evasive maneuver unless you are 100% sure you will not cause more damage, in fact, if I had tried to get into the left lane and hit someone in my blindspot, I would probably have become partially at fault.

:eek: Looks like he thought he was at Monster Truck Rally! What the hell was he doing! glad you are okay. I did get some enjoyment out of watching rear of the truck explode into a million pieces while you causally slowed down and pulled over. I would like to see some exterior pictures if you have any. Wondering how much damage the Model 3 sustained.

More like later that night. Mostly swearing though since I'm concerned they will total the car, and it will mess up all the tax credits and other rebates that I will have to pay back (and likely not be eligible for again).

I think you can still get the $7500 tax credit on a totaled car. (You didn't buy it for resale and you put it into service before the end of the year.) But talk to your tax person to be sure.

@schwedisch

Sounds like autopilot disengaged at the 3-4 second mark? It went off the moment your rotational axis overpowered the input for Tesla control.

Shame software is not to where it was able to evade as your left side was clear. :(

Also, did you try to put the car into park between seconds 14-15? I heard the error beep, Perhaps due to car still in motion.

More like later that night. Mostly swearing though since I'm concerned they will total the car, and it will mess up all the tax credits and other rebates that I will have to pay back (and likely not be eligible for again).

I think you are good on the tax credits. You met the standard for the letter of the law. You purchased and placed vehicle in service.

I would be ordering a replacement RIGHT NOW and go from there. 2.5 months is not much time to make it.

Last edited:
Oh man, I'm glad you're OK - the truck looks much worse off.

Thanks for sharing this!

The pickup truck was completely mangled and un-drivable. I took them half an hour just getting it up on the flatbed. The driver walked away with no injuries at all though so good news all around on that front. I'm actually surprised he managed to get out of the cab on his own.

• Love
Reactions: emorog and skip8jj