Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why Sentry Mode rocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sort of, I was parked in a city ramp in an end spot when another driver over steered on a corner and hit my rear bumper and kept going. My alarm went off and I got the app alert. I checked the Sentry Mode video and saw the car that hit me but because of poor lighting and video resolution I couldn't read his plate (Even had one of our video editors try to pull a clear image from the video but no luck). Since I had the exact time of the incident and the description of the other car I asked the ramp control center to pull the video and get a plate number. They informed me that they could only release the video to an investigating officer from the Minneapolis PD. So, I filed a police report and was promptly told that the MN PD does not investigate hit and runs with no bodily injury or large property loss.

The video did confirm that I was parked at the time and I won't take a hit on my insurance. I do still have to pay my deductible.
What a shitty attitude from the car park management company. Capitalism, I guess - there’s no money in it for them....
As for the police - didn’t New York turn around it’s criminal culture when undertaking a zero tolerance attitude?

As with any surveillance, you realized that people have been careless or thoughtless all these years & the best deterrence is to park far away from other cars & even then that is only 95% successful as these pest or worse shopping carts are attracted to this type of behavior.
Yeah, I park away from others with a space on each side, wherever possible. I accept it’s not 100% guarantee, but simple actions that take a few seconds more of your time, improve your odds.
Just out of interest, if I was to put a sticker on the car stating “You are being recorded by 360dg surround cameras & uploaded online continuously” do you think that would be a help or hindrance?

Reactions: VQTRVA
You can get the video easily. File a small claims action against John Doe. Then file a subpoena with the parking garage company. It/s nothing more than the court’s official permission to require them to give the video. That forces them to provide a copy of the video(s). You then give that to your insurance company to pursue the claim against the offending driver.

I’m sure the local court clerk can give you the necessary info on filing a subpoena.

Something is fishy.

This thread ( What the heck is wrong with people ) is by the same poster, saying this video is from their "coworker driving their M3"

Yet this post, people are "throwing money at me just to be on my video"?

Yet, there are people posting in both threads (as I am now) acting like these are not related?

Color me 'confused'. :confused:

(also, this is dashcam video... not sentry mode. Geesh) :cool:

Same OP, same video linked, yet two slightly different stories. Not justifying what the SUV driver did by any means, but there's definitely more to this and whoever is driving that Model 3 isn't as innocent as they would like us to believe.

Same OP, same video linked, yet two slightly different stories. Not justifying what the SUV driver did by any means, but there's definitely more to this and whoever is driving that Model 3 isn't as innocent as they would like us to believe.
Yeah, dude is a clown either way in my mind, he refuses to give details despite asking multiples times, as well as any videos prior to this.

A lot of times in this situation the disposition falls in between the extremes.

With video of a door ding / parking lot incident / road rage incident, you can certainly get more results than not having the video.

Will the police actually pursue the person to ticket him or charge him criminally? Probably not unless there's a lot of damage or there were other crimes committed in conjunction.

However, identifying the suspect is the key thing here. If you have a license plate or some other means on video to identify the person, then there is certainly a claim to their insurance that can be made. Often, turning the video into your own insurance company will let them find out who the perpetrator is and they can then pursue him.

This.

There’s crime out there and I hope police pursue drug dealers, pimps, robbers, and murderers. My insurance can pursue douche bags like this and hopefully their insurance will get jacked up! Lol cause I’d file a claim that’s for sure.