Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why Sentry Mode rocks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone actually turned in sentry cam footage and gotten a 'result'?
Yes. Someone’s Sentry Mode caught a pair of anal orifices keying a Model 3 in Old Sacramento. As I recall, at first police paid limited attention. But a local TV station picked it up. The video clearly showed their faces. The TV exposure was too much. They turned themselves in.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I wish Tesla Cam was more consistent & more user friendly.
My Mom got in an accident in her MR yesterday & we couldn't get any creditable files either:

1) in the Saved Clips folder - all the files were 1kb ie corrupted.
2) in Recent Clips folder - she was unable to download the last 60 mins of footage & it got overwritten. So we lost out on any footage of what occurred.

Oddly, the Saved Clip folders had the footage from the tow lot.
So we surmised that Sentry Mode wasn't saving clips & that in accident aftermath, she didn't have the ability to save the most recent 60 mins. Totally understandable.

Wish it could have been remotely done with the app & is a feature that could be added.

That said - Still very happy she is in good health.
I had problems like that until I got a more durable USB drive that was rated for camera use.

I had problems like that until I got a more durable USB drive that was rated for camera use.

Folks have had the same problems with every type of storage up to and including SSDs.

It's not a hardware problem, it's a software problem.

Even crap/cheap USB sticks are rated for much faster write speeds than the car is using, and years of write cycles at the rate the car uses them. There's a world of difference between the demand of the Teslacam stuff (quite low) and folks running multiple 4k dedicated dashcams (much higher)

Was going through the footage and spotted like somebody bump the door on the parking lot. Don't see any damage done but still feel upset with people who casually bumping doors.

What do you do with the footage when your drive is full? Just deleting? Do you review your Sentry mode footage?

48642381327_38472340f6_c.jpg

Was going through the footage and spotted like somebody bump the door on the parking lot. Don't see any damage done but still feel upset with people who casually bumping doors.

What do you do with the footage when your drive is full? Just deleting? Do you review your Sentry mode footage?

Yes i make it a routine to review every 2 weeks - sooner if there are sentry mode notifications I am wary of.
While my drive is 128GB it does fill up quickly - so I rather be safe than sorry.
Luckily most SM detection is benign & my routine is to skip through them in 30 sec increment on each cam (front/LR/RR).

I also go in & tag the files under various terms so that I can search for them in windows explorer once I move them over from the flash drive to my PC.

As with any surveillance, you realized that people have been careless or thoughtless all these years & the best deterrence is to park far away from other cars & even then that is only 95% successful as these pest or worse shopping carts are attracted to this type of behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: Kappelan
Folks have had the same problems with every type of storage up to and including SSDs.

It's not a hardware problem, it's a software problem.

Even crap/cheap USB sticks are rated for much faster write speeds than the car is using, and years of write cycles at the rate the car uses them. There's a world of difference between the demand of the Teslacam stuff (quite low) and folks running multiple 4k dedicated dashcams (much higher)
The problems went away completely when I started using a quality USB drive.

The problems went away completely when I started using a quality USB drive.

You seem to be confusing correlation with causation.

As pointed out- for lots of people it went away when they switched to a LOWER quality USB drive.

For others it never appeared using the exact same type of drive others had issues with.

Some folks made it go away just by reformatting the drive.

Because it's not a hardware problem

If it were a hardware problem you wouldn't have folks with the same type of drive both having and not having issues.

If it were a hardware problem you wouldn't have folks "solving" it by swapping out a high end 256GB stick for a crappy 16GB one.

If it were a hardware problem you wouldn't have folks with SSDs running into it.

But you do have all those things reported by various users.

You seem to be confusing correlation with causation.

As pointed out- for lots of people it went away when they switched to a LOWER quality USB drive.

For others it never appeared using the exact same type of drive others had issues with.

Some folks made it go away just by reformatting the drive.

If it were a hardware problem you wouldn't have folks with the same type of drive both having and not having issues.

If it were a hardware problem you wouldn't have folks "solving" it by swapping out a high end 256GB stick for a crappy 16GB one.

If it were a hardware problem you wouldn't have folks with SSDs running into it.

But you do have all those things reported by various users.

So your correlation is better than mine. Gotcha.

Something is fishy.

This thread ( What the heck is wrong with people ) is by the same poster, saying this video is from their "coworker driving their M3"

Yet this post, people are "throwing money at me just to be on my video"?

Yet, there are people posting in both threads (as I am now) acting like these are not related?

Color me 'confused'. :confused:

(also, this is dashcam video... not sentry mode. Geesh) :cool:

So your correlation is better than mine. Gotcha.

Well, it is though :)

If it was hardware you wouldn't have people with the same hardware as each other both having and not having the issue. My samsung 128GB key continues to work flawlessly- others with the same key report errors. Same HW though. Ditto with many other brands/models of keys, SDcards, and SSDs in the various dashcam/sentry threads here.

If it was a hardware issue everyone with that HW would get the same results.

They don't though. Because the problem isn't HW.

Add to that lots of folks whose HW worked fine for months now have issues since one specific SW update.

Why would anyone think to blame the hardware in that case given the software was what changed?

Well, it is though :)

If it was hardware you wouldn't have people with the same hardware as each other both having and not having the issue. My samsung 128GB key continues to work flawlessly- others with the same key report errors. Same HW though. Ditto with many other brands/models of keys, SDcards, and SSDs in the various dashcam/sentry threads here.

If it was a hardware issue everyone with that HW would get the same results.

They don't though. Because the problem isn't HW.

Add to that lots of folks whose HW worked fine for months now have issues since one specific SW update.

Why would anyone think to blame the hardware in that case given the software was what changed?
You keep talking about people swapping out "highend" large USB sticks with "crappy" small ones with no actual information about the real technical specs of the sticks. The vast majority of people have no idea what the technical differences between one storage device vs another and are strictly relying on name brand and price to determine what is good and what is bad. I have been dealing with dash cams for years and years now and the media that you use in them is very specific if you want them to be reliable over any period of time.

Reactions: notrhj
You keep talking about people swapping out "highend" large USB sticks with "crappy" small ones with no actual information about the real technical specs of the sticks. The vast majority of people have no idea what the technical differences between one storage device vs another and are strictly relying on name brand and price to determine what is good and what is bad. I have been dealing with dash cams for years and years now and the media that you use in them is very specific if you want them to be reliable over any period of time.

I'm talking about folks swapping out things like dashcam specific endurance pro media for "this old 16GB stick I had in a drawer"

Plus you appear to be ignoring the fact folks using the same hardware both have, and don't have, the error- which again tells you it's software not HW.

(especially when for many the current 'too slow' issue didn't exist before a certain SW version and their key recorded fine up till then).

Most folks referencing other dashcam experience are talking about units much more demanding on storage than what Tesla is doing.

Teslas current 3 cam, 720p, system is recording at 1.5MB/s total write speed.

In contrast Blackvue has current 4k/2 cam systems recording at nearly 5 MB/s write speed.

That's a world of difference. Virtually anything is fast enough for the tesla system.

Likewise that also means the Tesla media will wear out ~3 times slower than when used with 'real' dashcam hardware- which is why "high endurance" recording media isn't really needed.

Even cheap/generic 128MB flash keys will last 5-10 years in typical use with Teslas low write rate...and 256MB keys will last longer than most people own a car.

I'm talking about folks swapping out things like dashcam specific endurance pro media for "this old 16GB stick I had in a drawer"

Plus you appear to be ignoring the fact folks using the same hardware both have, and don't have, the error- which again tells you it's software not HW.

(especially when for many the current 'too slow' issue didn't exist before a certain SW version and their key recorded fine up till then).

Most folks referencing other dashcam experience are talking about units much more demanding on storage than what Tesla is doing.

Teslas current 3 cam, 720p, system is recording at 1.5MB/s total write speed.

In contrast Blackvue has current 4k/2 cam systems recording at nearly 5 MB/s write speed.

That's a world of difference. Virtually anything is fast enough for the tesla system.

Likewise that also means the Tesla media will wear out ~3 times slower than when used with 'real' dashcam hardware- which is why "high endurance" recording media isn't really needed.

Even cheap/generic 128MB flash keys will last 5-10 years in typical use with Teslas low write rate...and 256MB keys will last longer than most people own a car.
I did not ignore anything. Using the wrong media will give you inconsistent results. That’s why it’s considered “wrong”. When you use some random USB drive, you have no idea what the actual chip is inside and it can be different from one drive to another even though they have the same model number.

I did not ignore anything. Using the wrong media will give you inconsistent results. That’s why it’s considered “wrong”. When you use some random USB drive, you have no idea what the actual chip is inside and it can be different from one drive to another even though they have the same model number.

Folks are having issues using things like Samsung Pro drives and SSDs as well.

Likewise folks using 16GB "I found it in a drawer" or "it's something they were giving away as swag" drives sometimes work fine.

And vice versa on both counts.

So again your claims are inconsistent with what's actually happening. Which is that HW all across the quality spectrum are inconsistently seeing issues, particularly since a specific SW update. Incluiding lots of HW that worked just fine for months (and for some folks STILL does and for some not so much)

Because, again, it's a software problem, not a hardware problem

If it was a HW problem it would more consistently follow the hardware. Which, again, it doesn't.

Not sure how you keep being confused about this.