Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why Tesla Model 3 keycards are $5, sadly...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My keycard was sitting in my wallet for 2 weeks and when I handed over to valet I realized this.

There are creases and bends all over around corners and mid sections. It looks like its a thin soft plastic card with some sort of cheap vinyl wrapping.

I am a little dissapointed for a such good looking card is ruined just by little pressure inside a wallet.

I would gladly happy to pay extra $5 for better quality cards.

Just take care of yours.

I think that if you have a card you really don't want damaged, either don't sit on your wallet or keep the card in a middle slot so the corners aren't subject to as much pressure.

* I ended up replacing my Permanent Resident card early because a corner broke away, and the laminate was peeling, so I'd get teeth-sucking and questions every time I traveled out of the country. Costs over $500 for a new one. I now keep it in a middle slot.

I think that if you have a card you really don't want damaged, either don't sit on your wallet or keep the card in a middle slot so the corners aren't subject to as much pressure.

* I ended up replacing my Permanent Resident card early because a corner broke away, and the laminate was peeling, so I'd get teeth-sucking and questions every time I traveled out of the country. Costs over $500 for a new one. I now keep it in a middle slot.

I never sit on my wallet or put something over it. Anyways its just frustrating to see it like that. Yes I can replace it for 5 bucks but I prefer much sturdier one.

Be glad it only costs $5. Had this been a regular dealer they would suck you $150 for this.

But for $150 you get a real keycard with a battery that gives you passive entry to and operation of the car without needing to ever take it out of your pocket OR carry an extra bulky keyfob.

I'll happily give Tesla $150 for one of those rather than the $5 one.

Reactions: Chips
I have had the Tesla card in my wallet together with some other cards for a month or so (and sit on it all the time), and my card looks like new. What causes the round creases in the corners? is it next to some item in your wallet that has this shape?

I have had the Tesla card in my wallet together with some other cards for a month or so (and sit on it all the time), and my card looks like new. What causes the round creases in the corners? is it next to some item in your wallet that has this shape?

It was inside a dedicated area with a little transparent cover on it too see the content. I put alot of stuff in the past that made much more delicate surface and never had a problem before. Vinyl wrap is very low quality it seems without any sufficient surface adhesive over the plastic card.

I get it they covered it with scratch free material to avoid scratching central console piano black surface when you need to start the car with keycard. I dont like the piano black surface also. Solution to one problem causes another one..

They probably figure people are going to lose them or break them all the time anyway, so better to have a cheap replacement option than people get PO’d at paying $100 a pop each time they have to replace a lost card.

Also, my card came brand new with the little round indentations on each corner; I think it’s just part of the how they are. I can see the outline of a smaller card inside the bigger card like they enclosed a smaller piece in the outer plastic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 191
Also, my card came brand new with the little round indentations on each corner; I think it’s just part of the how they are. I can see the outline of a smaller card inside the bigger card like they enclosed a smaller piece in the outer plastic.
Hm, my card doesn't have this. All I can see are the contours of a small square shape near the top right corner (which is very likely the NFC chip), but otherwise the card is completely smooth. I wonder if they source the cards from multiple different suppliers.

They probably figure people are going to lose them or break them all the time anyway, so better to have a cheap replacement option than people get PO’d at paying $100 a pop each time they have to replace a lost card.

Hm, my card doesn't have this. All I can see are the contours of a small square shape near the top right corner (which is very likely the NFC chip), but otherwise the card is completely smooth. I wonder if they source the cards from multiple different suppliers.

I'm looking at a April card (old graphic) and a September card (new graphic) at the same time; in my case the April card has the barely visible antenna curve at the corners and the chip square -- but all so faint I don't think the average person would notice them. Possible it's wear related, but it has lived a fairly protected life. The September card's antenna is not visible at all, and the chip is faintly detectable at certain light angles, if you know where to look.