Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why you need a dashcam...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad every one is safe.

I am shopping around for BlackVue 900 2Ch one. One of the installer is suggesting to get the additional lithium battery(300 + 99 additional charge for wiring this alone). Is that is needed for 2018 Tesla Model X? If we don't have that, does this DashCam record when I parked in parking lots?

Total cost, I am looking at is 469 + 300 + 99 + 360(labor costs) before tax.

You definitely don’t need a battery option when running it on a Tesla. Your car is a giant battery. This is something for normal ice cars that run the risk of draining the 12v battery after a few days and not being able to start.

Regarding the diminished value and loss of use, you are looking at some big numbers. Replacing that quarter panel means this is a structurally repaired car according to Tesla Motors repair guidelines. Trade-in value will drop 40%-50%, renting a Tesla for 60+ days at $175/per. Definitely make claims for these, assuming the other driver was held liable.

Reactions: Rahul
Regarding the diminished value and loss of use, you are looking at some big numbers. Replacing that quarter panel means this is a structurally repaired car according to Tesla Motors repair guidelines. Trade-in value will drop 40%-50%, renting a Tesla for 60+ days at $175/per. Definitely make claims for these, assuming the other driver was held liable.
My understanding with how this works is that I would get an appraisal from a co and submit that to the other driver’s insurance, American Family. They have accepted liability. I’ll talk to the appraisal company about all this.

@Rahul shocking to see it happen and stuff like that happens really quickly too. Man glad your wife and kids were okay. And thanks Tesla for keeping us protected so well.

I had thought the car was impacted just on the front watching the video so when I then looked at the photos of the damage, was shocked to see the rear wheel area. Also shocked to hear some appraiser thinks a broken wheel area like that on a MX is going to be repaired for 12K. Maybe at one of those late night TV advertised car repair places!

Funny thing you mentioning about the microSD card in your Blackvue dashcam in your car. I recently bought a Blackvue microSD card for use in my Model 3 TeslaCam since my husband has had great luck with the card in his MS for the past year. When I ordered mine from the same place as his at the end of March, the customer service guy there said "I see from your past order that your husband's card is about a year old. You know that it's flash and has a limited life and if you've gotten a year out of it that's pretty good but you really should replace it before it goes out on you".

My husband has been using his card in our Blackvue DR900S-2ch similar to you -- 24/7 (including parking). So I mentioned this to my husband after I placed my order in March and asked "when was the last time you checked your card?" As it turns out, his card too is now toast. Last recording was April 9, 2019. He originally ordered it on 4/19/18 along with his DR900S, and ran him a little over $100. Given his heavy usage of it, I think he got his money worth. In November it saved us $3000+ of damage repair from a hit-and-run in a bank parking lot by a company utility truck that was backing out of the space next to him. The vehicle turned too soon and scraped the rear wheel and bumper area of his car. So honestly I think you did well with your card. These cards are flash based and every time they are written over the destructive process burns a layer from the cell. Does it until it can't write to the cell and then moves to the next until finally it runs out of space to write. Then stops writing at all. Only thing it is then good for is to pull any files off it that were kept.

FWIW when he put the microSD card into the computer to check it, it wouldn't erase. He could see files from April 9 and before but that was it, nothing current. I've also been reading on the Model 3 forum area from owners who have had their various flash drives fail on them and it's pretty much the same scenario. Some files will be viewable (apparently write protected) but the drive can't be erased to reformat. It's the nature of flash. For my Model 3 TeslaCam/Sentry mode recordings I ended up buying two 128GB microSD cards (the Blackvue one and a Samsung Pro Endurance*) and two UGreen SD card readers (USB-A/USB-C). I keep the cards in the readers and switch off between them to check files. I think it's smart to regularly check your files. As you said you would not be happy to have an accident with you not at fault and not have that footage to back up your position. Car repairs are one thing but imagine if there was personal injury/ies too.

*the Pro Endurance is meant for dashcam use, their EVO line is not btw. My first time trying this one out.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rahul