Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is why you need a dashcam...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to my wife and kids last Friday evening:

IMG_6279.JPG
IMG_6281.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG

Unbelievable, but glad everyone was okay.

Glad we had the dashcam so didn't have to worry about who's fault this was. The other driver's insurance (American Family) has accepted liability. The appraiser has given a ~$12K estimate. Not sure how long it's going to take to get our X back yet.

On a side note a couple days after the accident I decided to double check that my Blackvue DR750S-2CH dashcam was working properly in my other car. Turns out it hasn't been recording since 11/27/2018! I've been formatting it periodically but it never gave an error. I only realized when I formatted it this time the clips were still there afterward. I took it out of the dashcam and tried on my computer to format only to get an error that the card is "write-protected", basically bricked.

The card is the stock Blackvue SD card that came with the dashcam. I haven't had the dashcam for barely a year, so I reached out to Blackvue. They're not doing anything about it because they only warranty their cards for 6 months. Sucks but oh well, I'm getting another brand SD card.

If you have a dashcam I highly advise to make sure periodically it's recording properly, not just to format and forget. I would not have been happy if this accident was not recorded.

While not Teslas (yet!), my company runs a fleet of 500 tractor-trailers across the country. We have dashcams installed in all of them, and they have paid for themselves in accident cases where we were not at fault but wouldn't have been able to prove it otherwise. I really like it when I hear that an attorney has dropped a case after viewing a video from our cams.

Glad everyone was ok in yours.

This happened to my wife and kids last Friday evening:

View attachment 398254
View attachment 398255
View attachment 398256

Unbelievable, but glad everyone was okay.

Glad we had the dashcam so didn't have to worry about who's fault this was. The other driver's insurance (American Family) has accepted liability. The appraiser has given a ~$12K estimate. Not sure how long it's going to take to get our X back yet.

On a side note a couple days after the accident I decided to double check that my Blackvue DR750S-2CH dashcam was working properly in my other car. Turns out it hasn't been recording since 11/27/2018! I've been formatting it periodically but it never gave an error. I only realized when I formatted it this time the clips were still there afterward. I took it out of the dashcam and tried on my computer to format only to get an error that the card is "write-protected", basically bricked.

The card is the stock Blackvue SD card that came with the dashcam. I haven't had the dashcam for barely a year, so I reached out to Blackvue. They're not doing anything about it because they only warranty their cards for 6 months. Sucks but oh well, I'm getting another brand SD card.

If you have a dashcam I highly advise to make sure periodically it's recording properly, not just to format and forget. I would not have been happy if this accident was not recorded.

Man sorry to see that ..u still have ur S P90D?

In my video I can see she is looking down at something while making the turn, not paying attention at all

Does AZ have any laws about texting or holding/using a mobile phone while driving ? CA does have the laws, but I still see people using their phones behind the wheel anyway.

Have you heard back from the body shop yet about damage estimates ?

Man sorry to see that ..u still have ur S P90D?
I returned that lease and replaced with this X.

BTW I was in an accident with that car too. Not at fault but the other driver lied about what happened and her insurance State Farm denied responsibility even though the police report cited her the traffic violation. I went thru my insurance Amica but took a year to get my $2500 deductible back. Amica was about to take it arbitration when they paid up. But even more painfully it took 4 months to get the car back

9E6EFB96-7E27-4655-ADDF-28D82778FC2E.jpeg

I didn’t have a dash cam for that car but after that incident will never drive without one.

Talk about bad luck this happening 2x! Before owning Tesla’s never had an accident. Not being ageist or sexist, but both of these accidents were with high school aged female drivers.

Glad every one is safe.

I am shopping around for BlackVue 900 2Ch one. One of the installer is suggesting to get the additional lithium battery(300 + 99 additional charge for wiring this alone). Is that is needed for 2018 Tesla Model X? If we don't have that, does this DashCam record when I parked in parking lots?

Total cost, I am looking at is 469 + 300 + 99 + 360(labor costs) before tax.

Glad every one is safe.

I am shopping around for BlackVue 900 2Ch one. One of the installer is suggesting to get the additional lithium battery(300 + 99 additional charge for wiring this alone). Is that is needed for 2018 Tesla Model X? If we don't have that, does this DashCam record when I parked in parking lots?
Total cost, I am looking at is 469 + 300 + 99 + 360(labor costs) before tax.

You do not need the extra battery or any of the backup power arrangements on any Tesla. Simply wire it to an always on 12V line. It is easiest on the X, because the Brake Controller port under the dash has a constant 12V available. The 12V system is continuously charged by the main battery.

My Blackvue 900 kit came with the battery backup unit. I just threw it away, not needed.

Reactions: Rahul
You do not need the extra battery or any of the backup power arrangements on any Tesla. Simply wire it to an always on 12V line. It is easiest on the X, because the Brake Controller port under the dash has a constant 12V available. The 12V system is continuously charged by the main battery.

My Blackvue 900 kit came with the battery backup unit. I just threw it away, not needed.

Thanks for the details. So, it even records when it parked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the details. So, it even records when it parked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Depends on how you configure it. Mine goes into "parking mode" after the car has been sitting for 5 minutes. But it is always powered up, running and monitoring things.

Beware, make sure it is connected after any Tesla service. Apparently Tesla has a policy to disable any external dash cams, whenever taken in for service. They disconnect all the cables.

Depends on how you configure it. Mine goes into "parking mode" after the car has been sitting for 5 minutes. But it is always powered up, running and monitoring things.

Beware, make sure it is connected after any Tesla service. Apparently Tesla has a policy to disable any external dash cams, whenever taken in for service. They disconnect all the cables.
Thanks for the information. This is really useful :) Looks like lot of work. I already spent many hours before buying and need to spend more time after buying too :)

Seems unreasonable. Any idea why?

Not really. I just attributed it to corporate paranoia. The main thing you have to do is remember to plug it back in after you pick up your car. They may also have changed their stance since they now have the built-in dash cam feature. My experience was with my 2015 S. I have never taken my X in for any service.