Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This new UI sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how it improves, exactly why it should be used more. Look, I never use it really… but will try to start using it more and see how much it can actually do. Remember, Tesla is collecting ALL of this usage data. Im sure they’ll add some things back in and make some adjustments just like they did with v10.
Unacceptable. You’re trying to argue that it’s ok for Tesla to unnecessarily rely on a flawed voice system for core features, justifying it with the fact that ‘they are working on improving it’.’ Can’t you see the flaw in this argument?

- Voice doesn't work with accents
- Voice doesn't work when there's no cell signal
- voice doesn't work when there's a lot of background noise
- Voice interrupts music or conversations you may be having
- Voice requires you use the right term and fails if you get it wrong
- Finally, Tesla keeps changing what voice commands are available and what they do

- Finally, Tesla keeps changing what voice commands are available and what they do
I don't have an accent so I can't confirm the first point. I'm not sure why it needs a cell signal to work. It's traveling from a microphone above your head to a controller somewhere in the car....? The next 2 seem to contradict. You note that it won't work with a lot of background noise but complain that it interrupts the music playing? And there are multiple terms you can use for the same function ('Turn seta heater on' 'My buns are cold' etc). Once you learn them it's not really a big deal. And I don't know of any commands that Tesla has eliminated. I know they have added them as time has gone by.

I'm not saying that voice commands should be a replacement for a good UI, just that for all of the complaining about the UI, there is a solution available right now for much of what people are complaining about. And using them doesn't require you take your eyes off the road, like even the previous UI required you to do to engage the seat heaters.

One thing I don't ever see on these "correct the UI again" forums is finding some way to increase the size of the font. You kids with 40/20 vision are fine with a 5 point font, whereas some of us older dudes and gals prefer to be able to see what's going on and need something in the 20 point font. I wish there were a way to increase the font, because when I'm driving I don't have time to peer at the center screen and try to figure out what the car is trying to tell me.

TESLA, CAN WE ADJUST THE FONT SIZE ON THE CENTER SCREEN???? It would be a useful feature, and one that a lot of us older Tesla drivers would likely adjust to a larger font.

I don't have an accent so I can't confirm the first point. I'm not sure why it needs a cell signal to work. It's traveling from a microphone above your head to a controller somewhere in the car....? The next 2 seem to contradict. You note that it won't work with a lot of background noise but complain that it interrupts the music playing? And there are multiple terms you can use for the same function ('Turn seta heater on' 'My buns are cold' etc). Once you learn them it's not really a big deal. And I don't know of any commands that Tesla has eliminated. I know they have added them as time has gone by.
  1. Voice doesn't work with accents
  2. Voice doesn't work when there's no cell signal - Ask any of the multitude of people who haven't been able to use voice commands when they have no signal. My presumption is that the voice recognition is actually done on a remote server. We have devices at work that function in a similar fashion.
  3. Voice doesn't work when there's a lot of background noise
  4. Voice interrupts music or conversations you may be having - Clearly you've never tried this. If you've ever used a voice command while listening to music you'd know that it pauses the audio so it can clearly hear what you say.
  5. Voice requires you use the right term and fails if you get it wrong - there may be multiple terms, but if you still need to use one of the recognized terms. On multiple occasions I've played '20 questions' with my car trying to figure out what term it wants. (ok, only twice - now I'm smart enough to give up right away because it's a waste of time.) As far as a command they've eliminated: "Show Odometer." Which is especially problematic because they also saw fit to hide the odometer.
  6. Finally, Tesla keeps changing what voice commands are available and what they do
I'm not saying that voice commands should be a replacement for a good UI, just that for all of the complaining about the UI, there is a solution available right now for much of what people are complaining about. And using them doesn't require you take your eyes off the road, like even the previous UI required you to do to engage the seat heaters.
We agree on this. Voice commands should supplement a good UI, not replace it. My point is the solution is very imperfect.

I think its a mistake to rely on voice commands. it needs a good network connection and you cant always count on that.

therefore, those that keep harping on voice - at least realize that it will fail when you dont have enough LTE bars.
Agree...I drive through several stretches where LTE is simply so weak that voice commands stop working. Same behavior with any phone calls during those stretches, so I'm used to it, but these stretches are for miles, and at highway speed, and not well lit. So to not have voice commands available and have to fumble with the UI for what used to be simple for basic safety such as the defroster, this is just an absurd step backward, IMO. My wife and I loved the clean previous UI where features were intuitive and simple to access. I'm not against new UIs - but in the case of a high-speed vehicle vs. a phone, tablet or PC, this was too much change with limited ability to customize that wasn't warranted. And if this is all for FSD to be 'front-and-center' in the UI, then shame on Tesla. At soon to be $12K, and already a $199/mo payment, these drivers will be the exception, not the norm.

Reactions: Jimt29
Another complaint with the new UI - there’s no universal ‘music’ screen. You have separate buttons for radio, Bluetooth, Tidal, streaming, Etc, but if you’re using one source and try to change music settings with another source it switches sources on you..

Reactions: iamnid
And I don't know of any commands that Tesla has eliminated. I know they have added them as time has gone by.
This sounds like "I don't have this problem so it isn't one." Perhaps you meant something else. As noted voice commands don't appear to be processed in the vehicle.

The worst thing is that the commands are not documented by Tesla. There are 30 commands listed on the voice page. At two no longer work. It's particularly annoying that the wiper commands have changed and I've yet to discover the replacements for those useful to me.

Unacceptable. You’re trying to argue that it’s ok for Tesla to unnecessarily rely on a flawed voice system for core features, justifying it with the fact that ‘they are working on improving it’.’ Can’t you see the flaw in this argument?

Clearly missing the point here… I get what you’re trying to say but again, they are on the cutting edge of technology… is it perfect, no, but how does it get there? Exactly. Botton line, there is a massive R&D project taking place that every Tesla owner is part of, hence why you are asked to opt into sharing the data. Of course, you don’t have to share your data and that’s fine, but the point is that no one is saying it’s 100% perfect.

• Disagree
Clearly missing the point here… I get what you’re trying to say but again, they are on the cutting edge of technology… is it perfect, no, but how does it get there? Exactly. Botton line, there is a massive R&D project taking place that every Tesla owner is part of, hence why you are asked to opt into sharing the data. Of course, you don’t have to share your data and that’s fine, but the point is that no one is saying it’s 100% perfect.
What point am I missing? That I expect my car and the interface to be usable?

I get that they are continually developing the software. My point is to take a huge step backwards in terms of usability and then say "but you can just use the [flawed] voice command system!" is unacceptable. Even if it worked 'perfectly' it would still be inferior to the screen interface in many ways.

The two are in no way mutually exclusive. They can continue to improve the voice recognition and have a good UI on the screen, and that's what's so frustrating about all this. When I bought a Tesla with FSD, I understood that it was a work in progress, but the interface should never regress.

I will note that we have no idea what Tesla 'expects' users to do. I've seen nothing from Tesla saying "We intend voice commands to replace the screen," it is only users here saying that.

Last edited:
For those that need it, @NowIsGood wrote a nice guide on the new UI:

As you read through it, It's notable how many items are "no longer on the main screen"

What point am I missing? That I expect my car and the interface to be usable?

I get that they are continually developing the software. My point is to take a huge step backwards in terms of usability and then say "but you can just use the [flawed] voice command system!" is unacceptable. Even if it worked 'perfectly' it would still be inferior to the screen interface in many ways.

The two are in no way mutually exclusive. They can continue to improve the voice recognition and have a good UI on the screen, and that's what's so frustrating about all this. When I bought a Tesla with FSD, I understood that it was a work in progress, but the interface should never regress.

I will note that we have no idea what Tesla 'expects' users to do. I've seen nothing from Tesla saying "We intend voice commands to replace the screen," it is only users here saying that.
Hold on now, I’m not saying it should replace the screen at all. Simply saying it’s an alternative to those complaining about v11. I personally think many of the updates, if not nearly all of them, are great and make it incredibly easy to navigate the screen. I think it’s a resistance to change, which is completely natural with a new UI. And many of the complaints are vastly exaggerated when seat heaters have nothing to do with safety at all, nor should accessing them because if you turn them on when you start your car or precondition your car that about solves the safety concern IMO and anything beyond that is really for the sake of trying to trash the new UI because a couple things got moved for logical purposes. Once again, there are certainly improvements to be made and there will continue to be the need for improvements… hence version ELEVEN at this point… but to say your car and interface aren’t usable is a bit extreme. The interface certainly didn’t regress IMO, but it did for you based on what you have become accustomed to using and that’s ok.

But honestly ask yourself this… if you were new to Tesla and bought your car with the v11 software, meaning that’s ALL that you would know, would you take the time to learn to use it and have the same complaints? I’m sure of the response I’ll get here, but let‘s be reasonable…

I think the analogy in an earlier post of using the home button on an iPhone and then having the button completely removed is extremely similar here…

Great thing about capitalism, there are plenty of other vehicles out there to pick from…

Clear step back. What a waste of screen space…The Tesla software engineers cannot distinguish between essential and non essential info.
They log usage of everything… it’s all based on stats and seems they found that out of all the Teslas on the road today that these were in fact the most useful and essential features to keep on the main screen with the push toward more automation. It’s not a clear step back when more are in favor of it than not… but it’s a step back for you and what you like, and that’s unfortunate.

The only thing I like is colored icons

I hate this new UI
-You'd have to honk to save dash cam (or go through opening the car settings to hit the recording), there's a lot of instances where I just want to save some footage without having to do some random honking...bring back dash cam saving to the main screen AND actually make the icon bigger would've been a +
-Way too many screen touches just to get ac/heat/fan to your liking, gg that dam touch sliding for fan control
-You have to go into car settings to get to the trips/odo page & tire pressure page...more coordinating touching and more distraction
-The map direction (direction of car, north, or full trip view) is hidden away now and you have to touch the map screen to wake it up
-The side camera video on signaling should pop up to fill the full map section of screen...it popping up at the small section on the lower right screen is just not a spot where you even see much of anything

IDK, I hate this new UI and wish I can revert back and maybe just keep the colored icons (The only thing I hated about the old UI was the bland gray icons, which always made it hard and unintuitive for me to find the phone icon)

There's plenty of room on the screen that a lot of every day use items could fit, but Tesla has now tucked them away and made it even more of a distraction to get to them when needed
Tessy copied WINDOWS 11 LOL

• Disagree
One thing I don't ever see on these "correct the UI again" forums is finding some way to increase the size of the font. You kids with 40/20 vision are fine with a 5 point font, whereas some of us older dudes and gals prefer to be able to see what's going on and need something in the 20 point font. I wish there were a way to increase the font, because when I'm driving I don't have time to peer at the center screen and try to figure out what the car is trying to tell me.

TESLA, CAN WE ADJUST THE FONT SIZE ON THE CENTER SCREEN???? It would be a useful feature, and one that a lot of us older Tesla drivers would likely adjust to a larger font.
This. I’m not really sure WHY they had to make the font on the map at least overall so small? It wasn’t as if it was taking up too much space or now allows for more things on the map? Even just the name of the current street one is on, at the bottom fo the screen is nearly impossible to read from the drivers seat, let alone the actual street names on the map. I DO use them when trying to find a new destination, and no the GPS isn’t perfect so some human interaction/intervention is often required.

Some say voice commands will save us, but even IF/WHEN it works, some commands have been REMOVED? WHY? I used to be able to just say “show me tire pressure”. Now that this easy access card is buried in the settings menu, and sub menu, I thought I could just say “Show me tire pressure” but that voice command has now been REMOVED.. why on earth would one do that?

They log usage of everything… it’s all based on stats and seems they found that out of all the Teslas on the road today that these were in fact the most useful and essential features to keep on the main screen with the push toward more automation. It’s not a clear step back when more are in favor of it than not… but it’s a step back for you and what you like, and that’s unfortunate.
I wonder though why the ability to just swipe UP from the bottom of the main screen, at least on the RIGHT side of the screen doesn’t just pull of that media console anymore? Now all it brings up in the HVAC/AC/TEMP main interface. When what I’d really like to do is just pull up the media interface and change the channel? Or easily switch to Spotify, or back to TuneIN for some news radio. Doesn’t make sense that this would be changed for the better?