Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you move the car control menu icon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there a way to move the car control icon on the main screen? It seems hard to believe that the Tesla engineers made it so that all of the car's control functions go through one small button, and they placed that button in a spot where the driver can't see it behind the wide yoke, and also didn't make the button moveable. My car was made before the screen tilt option was added, but I can't imagine it helps that much. I have to lean way over to see where it is, which is less than ideal. It should at the very least be able to be placed anywhere on the screen (with tapping it causing a fan of control options) and have the ability to have permanent tabs on the left side with features easily accessible.

Sorry to gripe, but I feel that if no one talks about these things, nothing will ever change. If a Tesla engineer or CEO looks at this, improvements could be made.

While I'm at it, if Tesla wanted to save 50 cents own their $100K+ car by ditching the turn signal, couldn't they have at least put the left turn signal button on the left side of the yoke and the right turn signal button on the right side?

And since there's no HUD, they should add customization options for the dash screen. There should be a way to have the music showing on one side, a way to have a larger, less bland, central speedo, a map even when there's no active nav, etc. I frequently turn nav on even when I don't need it because I can't stand having the empty screen.

Last edited:
Nope, no way to move the Controls button. Because of its location, it's fairly easy to locate by touch (bottom corner).

But perhaps you didn't realize, you can just swipe anywhere on the left side to the right and the controls appear - so you never have to use the controls button if you don't want to.

I wondered about the turn signal location too, but I gather since all stalks use a UP and Down to signal, they elected to emulate that approach. It took a couple of weeks to get used to it, but I like it better now than the stalks. There are a few very rare situations where it's not easy to activate, but there are a few rare different situations where the stalks are not handy as well.

As for music, you can select which side it appears on and there are 3 different sizes to select from. Might be nice to have more choices though.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Nope, no way to move the Controls button. Because of its location, it's fairly easy to locate by touch (bottom corner).

But perhaps you didn't realize, you can just swipe anywhere on the left side to the right and the controls appear - so you never have to use the controls button if you don't want to.

I wondered about the turn signal location too, but I gather since all stalks use a UP and Down to signal, they elected to emulate that approach. It took a couple of weeks to get used to it, but I like it better now than the stalks. There are a few very rare situations where it's not easy to activate, but there are a few rare different situations where the stalks are not handy as well.

As for music, you can select which side it appears on and there are 3 different sizes to select from. Might be nice to have more choices though.
Yes, thanks, I just discovered the swipe from the left today and was going to post about it! It's buried in the fine print in the manual. I tried it today and it really is much better, so I'm not sure why they don't promote that feature, or put some sort of icon on the left middle of the screen to make it more obvious.

I'm somewhat used to the turn signals, but there are those moment when it requires me to think about it or look down at the wheel.

I'd like to have the music info on the dash screen so that it's right in front of me, like this...

Attachments

• IMG_7860.JPG
    IMG_7860.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 68
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there a way to move the car control icon on the main screen? It seems hard to believe that the Tesla engineers made it so that all of the car's control functions go through one small button, and they placed that button in a spot where the driver can't see it behind the wide yoke, and also didn't make the button moveable. My car was made before the screen tilt option was added, but I can't imagine it helps that much. I have to lean way over to see where it is, which is less than ideal. It should at the very least be able to be placed anywhere on the screen (with tapping it causing a fan of control options) and have the ability to have permanent tabs on the left side with features easily accessible.

Sorry to gripe, but I feel that if no one talks about these things, nothing will ever change. If a Tesla engineer or CEO looks at this, improvements could be made.

While I'm at it, if Tesla wanted to save 50 cents own their $100K+ car by ditching the turn signal, couldn't they have at least put the left turn signal button on the left side of the yoke and the right turn signal button on the right side?

And since there's no HUD, they should add customization options for the dash screen. There should be a way to have the music showing on one side, a way to have a larger, less bland, central speedo, a map even when there's no active nav, etc. I frequently turn nav on even when I don't need it because I can't stand having the empty screen.
You can swipe the left edge of the screen left - right and it would bring up the control menu as well.
This should help accessing the control menu much easier.

Major challenges with info screen. Beautiful dash, and great idea. 1) Icons way too small. 2) Icons too low.

CA DMV says in handbook driver can't move eyes off road for more that 2 seconds. Find myself having to stare for up to 5 seconds at screen to accomplish task as simple as changing temp or fan speed, lights or suspension height.
When is Tesla going correct this?

Major challenges with info screen. Beautiful dash, and great idea. 1) Icons way too small. 2) Icons too low.

CA DMV says in handbook driver can't move eyes off road for more that 2 seconds. Find myself having to stare for up to 5 seconds at screen to accomplish task as simple as changing temp or fan speed, lights or suspension height.
When is Tesla going correct this?
The new software update with the ability to program/control settings with the left steering wheel/yoke button is a big step in the right direction.

The swipe from the left of the main screen is much better than hitting the small call icon hidden out of view in the corner. In addition to taking your eyes off the road, reaching out and hitting a small area of the screen, which may be partially obscured by the wheel/yoke while driving is difficult and distracting. Ideally, Tesla would have the ability to customize both the dash screen and the main screen. On the main screen, they could do customizable widgets, for example, like I mentioned above with a radial fan of features, or even an option to have a row of AC buttons placed where you want, or even a row of frequently used hot buttons that you can tap easily. It would cut into the map area, but that's ok as it would increase safety and ease of use.

And while I'm making suggestions, I'd also suggest making the turn signal indicators on the dash screen larger and higher up. For some reason they're really small and having them low on the screen in the middle of the traffic view is odd. They should have a more prominent position higher up on the screen. If they want to be different, they can make them more animated, but they way they are doing now makes them less useful, which seems to be a common problem. Be different, fine, but not at the expense of user friendliness.

Last edited: