Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This truck design had better be a joke....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, but useless for tradesmen. You don't want to have to remove the plywood, doors, lumber,etc. from the bed in order to get at your tools. Conventional pickups with lockable tool bins attached across the sides leave the floor of the bed open for lumber.

Agree. There's no room for racks for ladders either. Just don't think it was designed for these uses that people assumed when they heard "pickup" they were going to see. I know Tesla was reportedly wanting to work with Mercedes to come up with a Tesla work van. Was a no-go from MB I heard but could be something Tesla may be working on on their own now for a future expansion to their trucking line.

Someone on TMC posted a photo of the rear bed that has a recessed floor storage area.

8j75zghdta041.png

I appreciate the wild imagination and attempt to be cutting edge, but it's the proportions and detailing that seems crude. The roofline sloping down creating a pointy top seems to be the worst aspect - think Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk from the 90s.

I think they could have taken the same edgy design language and honed the details to add a little visual aggressiveness. My quick, crude photoshopped fixes attached (After and Before images):

View attachment 480181 View attachment 480182 View attachment 480183 View attachment 480184
Oh... You fix the wheels too. I like it! Can you make it so that the sides of the bed are straight across instead of slanting down? The folks that work with their trucks want to be able to reach over the sides.

Hmmm... a friend of mine just called and said he put down a deposit for this truck. He owns a farm and said the vehicle would be ideal for hauling equipment and supplies, especially useful with the ramp and cover, and serve as his primary vehicle for driving. He’s coming from a Hyundai SUV and has never owned an electric vehicle. He said he liked the design.

Based on this anecdote, I think I would soften my opinion. Might not be the vehicle for me, but others from unexpected demographics seem to like it.

• Informative
Reactions: Fraank and SMAlset
In the few images of the bed, I don't see anywhere for water to drain out. it appears to be a solid box which would be a big mistake.

Yeah, I wonder about installing a 5th wheel or a gooseneck hitch in it too... if it actually has no frame, it’ll be kind of useless for those of us who pull heavy loads. And it’ll be extremely hard to convert into an RV. I don’t think my dually is shaking in fear just yet, which surprises and disappoints me.

We’ll see. For rental and contractor use, it might be viable.

Yeah, I wonder about installing a 5th wheel or a gooseneck hitch in it too... if it actually has no frame, it’ll be kind of useless for those of us who pull heavy loads. And it’ll be extremely hard to convert into an RV. I don’t think my dually is shaking in fear just yet, which surprises and disappoints me.

We’ll see. For rental and contractor use, it might be viable.
Not seeing a lot of options for a ladder rack

I am surprised by those who think the Rivian looks better. I always thought it was butt ugly in the front.

Storage, somewhere in the reveal it was said there is storage under the rear seats. Hopefully accessible from the outside but they did not show it.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
This looks futuristic....

Benz-Concept-gear-patrol-full-lead.jpg

This looks like someone from 1989s version of futuristic....

191121212606-tesla-cybertruck-exlarge-169.jpg

Doesn't look futuristic to me unless you mean the blue lights some how. Personally I don't care for the blue LED lighting I'm seeing on a number models or prototypes looking to be modern in their view I guess. Also on that vehicle I dislike the huge wheels and the big honking emblem on the front saying "look at me I'm driving a Mercedes if you can't tell". I find that tacky and for the most part they seem to be the only one wanting to throw their emblem in everyone's faces. To me seems desperate for recognition and advertising. All in the eye of the beholder. No idea what badging Tesla will do on CyberTruck but they've always gone tasteful and subtle.

Perhaps the ugliest thing on 4 wheels I’ve ever seen. :(
C'mon -
Datsun 120Y
Leyland P76
Citroen Ami
Leyland Princess
Pontiac Aztec
AMC Pacer
just off the top of my head. It certainly is a polarising design, it'll never ever pass. unnoticed. I like it, and I reckon that in 2 or 3 years, by the time it appears, the shock will have worn off and it'll be accepted as a revolutionary design. I'd be astounded if the design wasn't copied

Doesn't look futuristic to me unless you mean the blue lights some how. Personally I don't care for the blue LED lighting I'm seeing on a number models or prototypes looking to be modern in their view I guess. Also on that vehicle I dislike the huge wheels and the big honking emblem on the front saying "look at me I'm driving a Mercedes if you can't tell". I find that tacky and for the most part they seem to be the only one wanting to throw their emblem in everyone's faces. To me seems desperate for recognition and advertising. All in the eye of the beholder. No idea what badging Tesla will do on CyberTruck but they've always gone tasteful and subtle.

Do you really think the cybertruck needs any badging to say "look at me"? It could have no badge on it at all, and it's going to draw attention. I think 1/2 the people who buy one are going to buy it just for that reason. Just for the attention.

Reactions: mattjs33
Changes I would make in priority order.

1. Do away with the raked front pillars and make the front windshield wraparound. Vision out the front should be a high priority.
2. Make the side panels on the bed retractable making it easy to reach over the side of the bed when needed..
3. Make the stainless steel black stainless steel and as smudge proof as possible.
#2 is not going to happen as they are structurally required for the towing capacity on a unibody.