Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with 2017 model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have you had to renew your internet connection? If so how does the process work?

Nobody has had to renew anything yet, as far as I'm aware. Tesla is a little behind in the premium connectivity space, so I don't think any S, X or 3 has had any renewals come up.

Supposedly it will be $100 per year when it does, and will likely be a purchase you can make through your account or in the car itself.

Reactions: PoitNarf
have you had to renew your internet connection? If so how does the process work?

I don’t have a 2017, but pretty close. Mine is a March 2018 build. Those of us that ordered before Tesla made the change with premium connectivity are grandfathered in to lifetime premium connectivity. I think they made the change back in July of 2018 or something like that.

Reactions: SammichLover
Ya it seems tesla is late in rolling out the subscription package for the internet. A google search uncovered a post in 2018 stating July 2019 would have more information but it seems no one has had to renew their subscription. I got mine in April 2019

They’re likely still trying to figure out billing

If only they had billing info for, and a way to charge money to, people who they already charged money to buy the car and whom they charge every time they visit a supercharger (even if it's free supercharging it still logs the session as $0.00 to your account)

Seriously, January 2018 is when the first data billing should've begin for Model S owners... and this month for the first model 3 owners.

No wonder Tesla keeps losing money when they can't even bill existing customers for services they're now giving them free for no reason but incompetence.

If only they had billing info for, and a way to charge money to, people who they already charged money to buy the car and whom they charge every time they visit a supercharger (even if it's free supercharging it still logs the session as $0.00 to your account)

Seriously, January 2018 is when the first data billing should've begin for Model S owners... and this month for the first model 3 owners.

No wonder Tesla keeps losing money when they can't even bill existing customers for services they're now giving them free for no reason but incompetence.

Granted, but there’s still billing that Tesla has to deal with on the cellular data provider side of things. Perhaps they’re trying to negotiate a favorable deal for bulk cellular data use.

Granted, but there’s still billing that Tesla has to deal with on the cellular data provider side of things. Perhaps they’re trying to negotiate a favorable deal for bulk cellular data use.

errr... don't they already have a bulk deal for the nearly 500,000 cars on the road they're currently providing data to?

AT&T gets paid either way. The only person not getting paid because Tesla can't figure out basic billing is...Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
When you think about it:

80k deliveries in Q3 2018 means by September 2018 Tesla could potentially be leaving out $8 million/year in 1 quarter alone. In terms of profit, that's roughly 900 cars worth of profit they're not getting.

At 400k vehicle's that $40 million USD / or about 4500 model 3's ($45k ASP assuming 20% profit at $9000/each)

When you think about it:

80k deliveries in Q3 2018 means by September 2018 Tesla could potentially be leaving out $8 million/year in 1 quarter alone. In terms of profit, that's roughly 900 cars worth of profit they're not getting.

At 400k vehicle's that $40 million USD / or about 4500 model 3's ($45k ASP assuming 20% profit at $9000/each)

Not to mention the earliest non-lifetime-data Model S cars have been outside the "free" data period since January 2018...more and more every month- 0 of them have been charged.

Tesla being incompetent at this is over 18 months old at this point.

Tesla has to be careful about what they charge for. They are still growing their brand and want to instill as much value as possible. It’s smart not to do it now, but reserve the right to do it at a later time if they need to.

Sure, for you guys that have it, but us SR+ sure would like streaming music service in the car... WE can’t even offer money for that feature...

Last edited:
When you think about it:

Tesla’s just waiting for that quarter when they really need to make earnings look good. ;)