Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those with FSD - Do you leave Smart Summon on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never tried it. I do use regular summon almost every day and it's very flakey. I use it to get in and out of my garage. Sometimes it fails a few seconds into it and I have to restart the app. Seems like a bluetooth issue. Does anyone know if theres a way to use Summon and open your garage door with homelink all with one button press?

I've never tried it. I do use regular summon almost every day and it's very flakey. I use it to get in and out of my garage. Sometimes it fails a few seconds into it and I have to restart the app. Seems like a bluetooth issue. Does anyone know if theres a way to use Summon and open your garage door with homelink all with one button press?

I'm sure I saw this option when setting up homelink but I've never tried it. I like my front bumper more than the idea of the car opening the door for itself... which would be cool though.

Also, lately I find that I stopped using homelink altogether. It's just not reliable. It has way shorter range than my keychain remote and sometimes, if I'm not right in front of the garage, or the car is still moving, when I press the garage on the screen, it starts to open the door but stops it after a few inches. Very annoying - then I have to go for the remote, press again to close and press again to open. Never ever had similar problems with any previous ICE car and their garage buttons. It's just one more thing tesla can't do properly so I've ignored it...

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
In my experience it works fine even if you've left it off by default. I guess it takes a little bit longer to get it started. (Note that I do have sentry mode enabled, that might help as the Y never goes to sleep.)

I've used smart summon twice in 3 months, and only when there were no other moving vehicles or people around. That's about how useful it is. In a parking garage it drove towards me on the left side of the roadway, even while it was easily wide enough for 2 cars to pass...

Didn't realize it drained the battery until I saw this thread. Concerned about what I might be losing by disabling standby mode so I checked my car and standby mode was off and summon works well enough for me the delay isn't horrible.

Note: I haven't tried smart summon yet and only use the manual forward/reverse summon in my driveway (kind of handy when washing the car).

In my experience it works fine even if you've left it off by default. I guess it takes a little bit longer to get it started. (Note that I do have sentry mode enabled, that might help as the Y never goes to sleep.)

I've used smart summon twice in 3 months, and only when there were no other moving vehicles or people around. That's about how useful it is. In a parking garage it drove towards me on the left side of the roadway, even while it was easily wide enough for 2 cars to pass...

Your MY will go to sleep when sentry mode is enabled
IF
your MY is at home, you have assigned your home location, and the disable sentry mode at home option is selected.

That is my config, so I do not forget to turn on sentry mode when I head out to get groceries, etc. No battery drain for me with this config.