Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after test driving Ioniq 5 from a Model 3 LR owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

Ioniq 5 1.png

Ioniq 5 2.png

Ioniq 5 3.png

LONG PROMISED COMPARISON OF IONIQ 5 AND MODEL Y (LR)

IONIQ 5 Review and Comparison to Model Y
Pros
  • Stunning looks
  • Maximum range of 303 miles
  • Fast-charging ability
  • Sustainable cabin materials
  • Zero-emissions driving
  • Over-the-air updates for maps and multimedia software
Cons

• Range good, but still not at Tesla levels
  • Entry-level version with smaller battery not on sale until the spring
  • Interior lacks the retro-futuristic charm of the exterior

New?

• The Ioniq 5 is completely new and a great first surge into the EV market
  • Comes with 800-volt fast-charging capability
  • Offers latest Highway Driving Assist 2 features
  • Base model with 220 miles of range arrives in the spring

PRICING
IONIQ 5 LIMITED $56945 MODEL Y LR $69440

Hard to find Long wait

Up to $10 markup Inconsistent delivery dates

$12495 Savings

$7500 Tax Credit

$19,995 Less

Advantage IONIQ 20 points

DRIVING
An all-wheel-drive Ioniq 5 has a second motor driving the front wheels. This 74-kilowatt front motor brings total output to 320 horsepower and 446 lb-ft of torque. The AWD Ioniq 5 hits 50 mph in less than five seconds, delivering a satisfying punch from a standstill, but also a confident thrust at higher speeds. All variants have a top speed of 115 mph.

IONIQ 5 LIMITED $56945 MODEL Y LR $69440 (NO FSD)

Handles well Great Handling

Quiet (Laminated windows) Quiet (Laminated windows)

Steering Assist Autopilot

Wide 55 tires, smooth Wheel Choice

256 Range, actual 264 318 Range, actual 275

0 – 60 in 4.74 sec 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec

Advantage Model Y LR 5 points (50 points for me)

The autopilot totally outshines the steering assist. I almost took out the neighbors garbage cans and lawn while driving the IONIQ 5. This is the primary reason I am not keeping the vehicle. My wife said, “You need to get rid of this car before you kill both of us!”

For someone who has never owned a TESLA, the IONIQ would be just fine, but my body and brain memory will not let me trust this vehicle. A neighbor with an ID-4 said the same thing. The only safe way to drive with the steering assist is with it off.

EXTERIOR STYLING

Fresh, new Dated duck-bill styling

Turns hundreds of heads Looks like every other TESLA

Generated over 30 comments in 3 wks Mundane, 8 year old styling.

Some fresh new colors (Gag green) Same old 5 Red & Blue only color

Advantage IONIQ 5 10 points

INTERIOR STYLING

Great passenger room Limited passenger room, especially back seats

Reclining back seats Not available

No appreciable FRUNK Sizeable FRUNK

No deep rear trunk Deep rear trunk

Soft comfortable styling Dated styling

Advantage TIE

FAVORED FEATURES

Front seat leg support Not available

Vehicle to load charging Not available

Ultra-fast charging 10% to 18% in 18 min Slower charging rates

Cool shade for roof meets in the middle None

Advantage IONIQ 5 5 points

SOUND

Bose System with huge Subwoofer Good System

ANDROID AND APPLE CAR PLAY (HUGE!) Not available
Waze

STANDARD FEATURES

Kinda AWD AWD

Blue Link Ltd phone control Good phone control

No auto-lock Auto-Lock

No auto shut-off Auto shut off

Key FOB No key FOB is required

Four level regenerative braking Off/On regenerative braking

Three driving levels Eco/Norm/Sport One driving level

Advantage TIE

SECURITY

No security cameras SENTRY

Advantage Model Y 5 points

PET PEEVES

Blindspot mirrors No blind spot mirror

Push the button to initiate front sensors Automatic sensors

Squirrelly consistent adjustment in auto assist Smooth autopilot

All and all the IONIQ 5 is well-designed efficient and beats the MODEL Y in points and in a number of areas, including styling and significantly in price ($20,000). It also includes two years of FREE supercharging at the ELECTRIFY AMERICA which is growing rapidly. WIll be at all SAM"s stores soon.

It is a great vehicle out of the box. It is a super deal for an ICE driver and likely a better deal than a Model Y all around.

If I wasn’t already brain/body trained in AUTOPILOT, and dependent on the SENTRY mode for security, I would probably keep the IONIQ 5.

My IONIQ 5 is now on AUTOTRADER in Palm Bay, FL, while I await the delivery of my Model Y Performance. So, there you have it.

Attachments

• 20220403_132935_resized.jpg
    20220403_132935_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 148
  • 20220403_133115_resized.jpg
    20220403_133115_resized.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220403_133703_resized.jpg
    20220403_133703_resized.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220403_133711_resized.jpg
    20220403_133711_resized.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220403_133725_resized.jpg
    20220403_133725_resized.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220403_134736_resized.jpg
    20220403_134736_resized.jpg
    971.1 KB · Views: 78
  • PPF Dynoshield and WET.jpg
    PPF Dynoshield and WET.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Around me, the ID4s are also far more available, with several sitting in local showrooms. Not true of the Ioniq5’s unless the dealer markup is egregiously high. And even then it’ll sell. The scarce Ioniq5 allocation for the US seems to be the major problem though.
I still haven’t seen an ID4, but have seen plenty of IONIQs. Which is strange, give that the IONIQ is a more recent release. I wonder if Canada is maybe getting a bigger per capita allocation of the IONIQ than the U.S.

Around me, the ID4s are also far more available, with several sitting in local showrooms. Not true of the Ioniq5’s unless the dealer markup is egregiously high. And even then it’ll sell. The scarce Ioniq5 allocation for the US seems to be the major problem though.

LONG PROMISED COMPARISON OF IONIQ 5 AND MODEL Y (LR)

IONIQ 5 Review and Comparison to Model Y
Pros
  • Stunning looks
  • Maximum range of 303 miles
  • Fast-charging ability
  • Sustainable cabin materials
  • Zero-emissions driving
  • Over-the-air updates for maps and multimedia software
Cons

• Range good, but still not at Tesla levels
  • Entry-level version with smaller battery not on sale until the spring
  • Interior lacks the retro-futuristic charm of the exterior

New?

• The Ioniq 5 is completely new and a great first surge into the EV market
  • Comes with 800-volt fast-charging capability
  • Offers latest Highway Driving Assist 2 features
  • Base model with 220 miles of range arrives in the spring

PRICING
IONIQ 5 LIMITED $56945 MODEL Y LR $69440

Hard to find Long wait

Up to $10 markup Inconsistent delivery dates

$12495 Savings

$7500 Tax Credit

$19,995 Less

Advantage IONIQ 20 points

DRIVING
An all-wheel-drive Ioniq 5 has a second motor driving the front wheels. This 74-kilowatt front motor brings total output to 320 horsepower and 446 lb-ft of torque. The AWD Ioniq 5 hits 50 mph in less than five seconds, delivering a satisfying punch from a standstill, but also a confident thrust at higher speeds. All variants have a top speed of 115 mph.

Handles well Great Handling

Quiet (Laminated windows) Quiet (Laminated windows)

Steering Assist Autopilot

Wide 55 tires, smooth Wheel Choice

256 Range, actual 264 318 Range, actual 275

0 – 60 in 4.74 sec 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec

Advantage Model Y LR 5 points (50 points for me)

The autopilot totally outshines the steering assist. I almost took out the neighbors garbage cans and lawn while driving the IONIQ 5. This is the primary reason I am not keeping the vehicle. My wife said, “You need to get rid of this car before you kill both of us!”

For someone who has never owned a TESLA, the IONIQ would be just fine, but my body and brain memory will not let me trust this vehicle. A neighbor with an ID-4 said the same thing. The only safe way to drive with the steering assist is with it off.

EXTERIOR STYLING

Fresh, new Dated duck-bill styling

Turns hundreds of heads Looks like every other TESLA

Generated over 30 comments in 3 wks Mundane, 8 year old styling.

Some fresh new colors (Gag green) Same old 5 Red & Blue only color

INTERIOR STYLING

Great passenger room Limited passenger room, especially back seats

Reclining back seats Not available

No appreciable FRUNK Sizeable FRUNK

No deep rear trunk Deep rear trunk

Soft comfortable styling Dated styling

Advantage TIE

FAVORED FEATURES

Front seat leg support Not available

Vehicle to load charging Not available

Ultra-fast charging 10% to 18% in 18 min Slower charging rates

Cool shade for roof meets in the middle None

Advantage IONIQ 5 5 points

SOUND

Bose System with huge Subwoofer Good System

ANDROID AND APPLE CAR PLAY (HUGE!) Not available
Waze

STANDARD FEATURES

Kinda AWD AWD

Blue Link Ltd phone control Good phone control

No auto-lock Auto-Lock

No auto shut-off Auto shut off

Key FOB No key FOB is required

Four level regenerative braking Off/On regenerative braking

Three driving levels Eco/Norm/Sport One driving level

Advantage TIE

SECURITY

No security cameras SENTRY

Advantage Model Y 5 points

PET PEEVES

Blindspot mirrors No blind spot mirror

Push the button to initiate front sensors Automatic sensors

Squirrelly consistent adjustment in auto assist Smooth autopilot

All and all the IONIQ 5 is well-designed efficient and beats the MODEL Y in points and in a number of areas, including styling and significantly in price ($20,000). It also includes two years of FREE supercharging at the ELECTRIFY AMERICA which is growing rapidly. WIll be at all SAM"s stores soon.

It is a great vehicle out of the box. It is a super deal for an ICE driver and likely a better deal than a Model Y all around.

If I wasn’t already brain/body trained in AUTOPILOT, and dependent on the SENTRY mode for security, I would probably keep the IONIQ 5.

My IONIQ 5 is now on AUTOTRADER in Palm Bay, FL, while I await the delivery of my Model Y Performance. So, there you have it.
Thanks for the thorough review. The IONIQ seems like a worthy EV offering.

I would, however, dispute the repeated references to the IONIQ styling as an unambiguous positive, given how subjective that point is and given that the very divided subjective feelings on that. I am definitely on the negative side of that split. While I would be willing to own a vehicle for which my feeling about the styling was ‘meh’ if it otherwise was good and met my needs - and I have done that - I don’t think I could do it if the styling actively made me cringe. The IONIQ styling comes close to being cringeworthy for me…maybe even over the line.

Anyway, I am glad for the IONIQ on other grounds. It seems like at least some other EV makers are upping their game, and keeping the vehicles at least somewhat affordable at the same time. That is important for the achieving the EV transition.

Thanks for the thorough review. The IONIQ seems like a worthy EV offering.

I would, however, dispute the repeated references to the IONIQ styling as an unambiguous positive, given how subjective that point is and given that the very divided subjective feelings on that. I am definitely on the negative side of that split. While I would be willing to own a vehicle for which my feeling about the styling was ‘meh’ if it otherwise was good and met my needs - and I have done that - I don’t think I could do it if the styling actively made me cringe. The IONIQ styling comes close to being cringeworthy for me…maybe even over the line.

Anyway, I am glad for the IONIQ on other grounds. It seems like at least some other EV makers are upping their game, and keeping the vehicles at least somewhat affordable at the same time. That is important for the achieving the EV transition.
So many times when change occurs in an accelerated way, it initially appears with a cringe, as it takes a giant leap forward.

I remember when the Denver Broncos first got their new uniforms, I thought they were cringe worthy. After several months, I felt like they were the best looking uniforms in the league.

Similarly, it took me six days before I committed to ordering the CYBRTRK, which I initially saw as nothing more than a rolling doorstop. Remember when the audience thought it was a joke and was waiting for them to roll out the "Real" truck.

Some may say that Tesla models are getting a bit "long in the tooth" and I can see why. Where do you draw the line between "if it aint broke don't fix it" and "outdated styling'? Like it or not, I'm not sure I've had a vehicle that has turned so many heads and resulted in so many comments as the ioniq 5 and I'm not saying I personally like it "that" much. I am not fond of a vehicle with a boxy look.

It's all relative and each person is respectfully entitled to their own opinion. Things like range and acceleration are so much more measurable.

One common theme though is that Musk's foray into EVs to support sustained energy is more than catching on, it's leading the way. The Ioniq and others are worthy competitors and that will only make our EVs and our future better.

Now, the Hummer, don't even go there. I see that as the definition of UGLY, just kidding. To each their own.

A couple of follow-up thoughts on the IONIQ 5.

Sometimes you can have too many buttons and options. Like the time they gave me a Cadillac loaner for my Tesla in the shop. OMG.

While having the four levels of regenerative braking and the three levels of acceleration is great, at times seems a bit overwhelming.
Buzzers, whistles and cowbells, but alas no farts. Max regenerative doesn't work with lane assist or cruise control and keeping it all straight is a bit of a challenge.

The most disappointing driving quality feature (secondary to the pseudo-pilot auto-pilot), is the hesitation on initial upon acceleration which slightly lunges your body forward and then catches on throwing it back. Way too much like an old Ford I had, that did that just before it stalled and left you rolling through a busy intersection.

One evaluator stated that when in pseudo-autopilot mode the vehicle seemed a bit squirrelly with too frequent steering corrections. I can agree with him because of that feeling of fighting the steering wheel all the time, and of course, the near misses of mailboxes and grass, I've chosen to leave the feature OFF unless on the highway for long trips.

For some reason the Bluetooth is not working well with my phone, "They can hear me, but I can't hear the caller through the car speakers," so when I get a call, I have to unplug the phone from Android play, and disable the Bluetooth all before the advance of the next garbage cans or tree. Neither my techie son, nor I can figure it out, so at this point, I have no interest in resolving it, as the vehicle is up for sale.

Hearing about some folks having a dead 12V battery and Hyundai not yet having a fix, I bought a $90 charger that I carry with me. Not a pleasant thought of anticipation.

I don't mean to be picky. It's a very good effort for a first try and an ICE driver would appreciate it immeasurably.

Unfortunately, I'm just way too spoiled by my Teslas which go where you point it, go when you accelerate and they drive themselves quite well. Awaiting the arrival of the MYP in June.

My IONIQ 5 will be picked up by Texas dealer on Wednesday. Wash sale, I keep the $7500 tax credit.

Returning to driving the 2014 Tesla Model S has been so refreshing. Interesting to note that a 2014 Tesla so generously outshines a 2022 IONIQ 5.
I could drive with confidence, knowing my autopilot (Mobil-Eye) was reliable. It was actually exhilarating. And watching NETFLIX. Ahhh.
Awaiting MYP (May 15-May 30th) ,
I don't care if it has EVERY READY batteries.

Test drove a lot of EV's and outside of the model 3 I loved the Ionic 5. The front "A"? pillars were so far out of the way that I feel like I had a beautiful view of the whole road. Tesla model 3 was a close 2nd. The handling to me was so attuned to what the car was doing without trying to kill my kidneys and spinal cord it really is a fun ride, just enough acceleration to keep smiling when not going thru corners. If the dealer's and they're +10,000 surcharge it would have been a really close call with the model 3.

Test drove a lot of EV's and outside of the model 3 I loved the Ionic 5. The front "A"? pillars were so far out of the way that I feel like I had a beautiful view of the whole road. Tesla model 3 was a close 2nd. The handling to me was so attuned to what the car was doing without trying to kill my kidneys and spinal cord it really is a fun ride, just enough acceleration to keep smiling when not going thru corners. If the dealer's and they're +10,000 surcharge it would have been a really close call with the model 3.

It has way more room than the Model 3 and the interior seems better put together. The rear leg room is amazing in that car. The Model 3 though is way smaller and more nimble. Very different segment

Reactions: markc2
It has way more room than the Model 3 and the interior seems better put together. The rear leg room is amazing in that car. The Model 3 though is way smaller and more nimble. Very different segment
not so much a segment but just the things that we wanted to try. The Ionic 5 is a way bigger "car" but never felt big the way the ID4 or Mach-E did. Didn't get to try the Mach-E GT...

The I5 felt to me very "planted" and it actually had a staggered wheel setup. The Ionic 5 just kept on reminding me of a Volkswagen GTI but just bigger and all of that electric power and low center of gravity fooled me into thinking it's a GTI....but then again I'm old :)

I never expected the two cars to handle the same, I just wanted to see which of the two I liked better.

I had no problem with the fit and finish of the two cars.

Reactions: Benzz
My IONIQ 5 will be picked up by Texas dealer on Wednesday. Wash sale, I keep the $7500 tax credit.

Returning to driving the 2014 Tesla Model S has been so refreshing. Interesting to note that a 2014 Tesla so generously outshines a 2022 IONIQ 5.
I could drive with confidence, knowing my autopilot (Mobil-Eye) was reliable. It was actually exhilarating. And watching NETFLIX. Ahhh.
Awaiting MYP (May 15-May 30th) ,
I don't care if it has EVERY READY batteries.
Much love here too, but every spring, like the little boy in his 50ies that I am, the itch comes to look for fresh wheels. Before I could suppress it for 2-3 years, now I am soon heading into year 8 in the same car, and it as much of a thrill to drive as on day one.

Reactions: SO16 and markc2
Hyundai's concierge service is just taking names of people interested. They don't know when it arrives in dealerships yet.
On the Genesis website there is the comment: “Initially, the 2023 Genesis GV60 will only be sold at select Genesis retailers in CA, CT, NJ and NY. Contact your Genesis retailer for availability details.” I’ve tried to reach out to some NJ/NY dealers and they’ve been in the dark. Like the Ioniq5, Hyundai might be making major inroads into Europe, possibly Canada, before US. And the website shows only an AWD and Performance models, no RWD so best quoted range is AWD with 248 miles…disappointing but given this would replace our 2012 Nissan LEAF with a range of about 35 miles, that’d be OK. And I do like the exteriors/interiors in the photos but doubt its for everyone.

Last edited:
On the Genesis website there is the comment: “Initially, the 2023 Genesis GV60 will only be sold at select Genesis retailers in CA, CT, NJ and NY. Contact your Genesis retailer for availability details.” I’ve tried to reach out to some NJ/NY dealers and they’ve been in the dark. Like the Ioniq5, Hyundai might be making major inroads into Europe, possibly Canada, before US. And the website shows only an AWD and Performance models, no RWD so best quoted range is AWD with 248 miles…disappointing but given this would replace our 2012 Nissan LEAF with a range of about 35 miles, that’d be OK. And I do like the exteriors/interiors in the photos but doubt its for everyone.

Its no different than the Ioniq 5 in terms of range. I think people have been getting close to EPA on tests so not that bad. Also, I contacted my local Genesis dealers and none know when it will be available for sale. They aren't even taking deposits.

My personal experience, Ioniq 5 is pretty efficient in city/local drive, but once you get on highways at 65+ miles/hour in summer days with AC on, range takes a huge hit. The realistic range for AWD in summer highway driving is about 200-220. It's not terrible, but definitely need to plan accordingly if going on trips.