Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts after test driving Ioniq 5 from a Model 3 LR owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

Ioniq 5 1.png

Ioniq 5 2.png

Ioniq 5 3.png

Before I get a chance to do a complete review, I think I may have found a game-changer. Drove home with lane assist today and is truly a lane assist and nothing like auto-pilot. You genuinely cannot trust it for even a split second. Anyone who is accustomed to Tesla, could not safely use it. I went into the grass today and have had a couple of close calls. More to follow....................
There are various "auto" settings on ionic 5, you can have cruise control with or without the following - speed, follow distance, steering. I think you had follow on but steering off.

There are various "auto" settings on ionic 5, you can have cruise control with or without the following - speed, follow distance, steering. I think you had follow on but steering off.
No. The steering was "on" and it was green, But when that green steering wheel turns grey, you better watch out for the neighbors garbage cans and for small dogs, not to mention the front yard grass.

It's the main reason I won't to keep it. It is truly a lane assist system would be fine for someone who comes from an ICE car, but I can't trust it.

Otherwise the car is a grand attempt with numerous items Tesla doesn't have.

If the car is otherwise great, I would not be too disappointed that the Ioniq 5 lane assist function is not yet very good. I don't really rely on those functions anyway. In my view, even the best of them are not quite ready for prime time. Maybe in 5-10 years, but not yet.

Reactions: timeshifter
Is the Ioniq’s lane assist updated as improvements are made ?
For someone who has never experienced autopilot, it might, and I emphasize might be a good choice. Unfortunately, after experiencing autopilot, even the Mobile Eye first edition on my 2014 Model S, the only way to safely drive the Ioniq for me (unless on the highway) is with the Lane Assist OFF, and even on the highway, it is sketchy. There are quite a number of other ways in which the Ioniq is lacking. Having said that, it is an extremely solid first attempt and for the price, an excellent selection for the ICE drive who wants to move up. The price saving ($20k and tax credit of $7500) alone make it worthy of exploration.

My neighbor who has a VW ID4, says the same thing. "I don't feel safe driving with the Lane Assist." He does not use their LANE ASSIST, because it isn't reliable. It's simple. Tesla has 10 years of experience that other manufacturer's don't have.

However, for me, and I emphasize, for me. My wife said, "Get rid of this car, you are going to kill us." I have become so dependent on autopilot, that I am unable to make the reverse transition. A good example of that is I continually walk away from the car not remembering, that I need to turn it off and lock it. Body and brain memory is hard to retrain. Thank goodness is keeps on beeping. Also, carrying a key FOB is about as much fun as having windows you roll up.

And don't get me started on the dealer experience. I had to go to NY to get one for $1500 over MSRP. Locally they was a $10,000 market adjustment.
They contacted me three days before my son picked it up and said, "Whoops. We sold your car. Don't worry, we have another one. Let me just give you the VIN." He showed me a picture of charging it to full and how he safely removed the front license holder without damaging the car.

When my son picked it up to drive to FL, it had 60 miles on and the charge was down?!!??!!? A used car?! Say what?? When I tried to get the phone app, it wouldn't let me, because the primary user is Samuel, and I'm not Samuel. So, I still don't have the phone app and still don't have my phone paired. What fun. Not going to bother. The dealer prep was less than optimal with plastic left all over the place. It will be on CarGurus in the next few days. There is also an access part missing. Access to repair of the charging apparatus. Not anywhere in the vehicle! Part unavailable. That should help with the sale!

20220325_135615.jpg

Let's talk about the 12 V battery going dead on a number of the Ioniq 5s.
So I bought a $95 emergency Type S jump starter in anticipation of that forthcoming pleasant experience. Anticipation!

That said, the Ioniq also has quite a number of things that the MY doesn't, like blindspot mirror warning, roof shade, Bose with monster subwoofer, moving console, air-conditioned seats, Carplay (huge), XM radio, 100,000-mile warranty, leg recliner support better seats, more room, heads up display and more. I will do a complete review comparing the Model Y and the Ioniq as soon as I get some time to breathe.

So when I am pushed by Tesla, I will commit to accepting the 2022 MYP, which I have on HOLD. Hopefully, it will be from Austin, but if not, I will live with it (It already has about $10k in equity). I will be disappointed because I really want the new Crimson color (this will be my fourth Red one), but I have heard it won't be out for several months and my "ON HOLD" clock is ticking. My speculation and fear is that Austin will only be pumping out the new Model Y (Standard Range+) for a while with the 4680 batteries, until such time as Fremont is also able to produce vehicles with 4680s. That is one way Telsa could keep from producing MYPs or MYLR with two different battery types from two different factories. Perhaps even ALL Tesla factories will convert to 4680s at the same time when production 4680 is up to speed and they will all launch at once. In the meantime, the Standard+ vehicle might be the test bed for the 4680s. WTFK.

Any thoughts on whether we are seeing any MYPs outta GigaTexas with 4680s would be sincerely appreciated.

Hi everyone,

While this isn't a comprehensive review, it's some initial thoughts from a 15-minute test drive. For comparison, I drive a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

On the weekend, I had the chance to test drive the Hyundai Ioniq 5. The weather was windy and snowy, not the best conditions, but living in Southwestern Ontario is reality.

We test drove the 2022 IONIQ 5 Preferred AWD Long Range. I was also shocked by the overall size. It is much bigger than the Model 3, and you sit much higher.

The AWD handles the blowing snow and winter conditions, including snowdrifts blowing on the roads. My wife and I were very impressed with the ride and comfort.

Here are a few things that I noted during the test drive.

• Depending on the steering wheel's position, it will block parts of the screen behind it.
  • The screen is laggy (compared to my Model 3)
  • The rear window does not have a wiper or spray nozzle for cleaning. Hyundai sales rep explains that the air will clean the back window. I know that marketing teaches the salespeople, but in all practicality, all the road dirt/snow/salt was very evident during our drive.
  • To adjust the regen, you toggle the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. This is a quick way to change the amount of regen. The car would accelerate (a short jump of speed) accordingly to your choice. The first time the Ioniq 5 briefly accelerated when I squeezed the + paddle, it was a little unnerving.

Dealership experience

While I let my dealership know my intent was to only test drive, I got the full dealership experience once again. I've owned 16 cars and have plenty of dealership horror stories that all came rushing back. I've owned two Model 3's in the last three years, so I am more than happy about sitting at home and clicking on the website to order my car. Thank you very much.

The salesperson for our test drive was super nice and tried his hardest to make us feel welcome. His knowledge of the car was less than ideal, and he told us some wrong information about the vehicle. While it wasn't a big deal as I came in very educated about the product, this is where dealerships fail. They think they are still selling gas-powered cars to customers that know more about their product than they do. After the test drive was over, we had to sit through the sales pitch, meet the manager, etc. Since leaving the dealership on Saturday, I have received two emails and one text from them. All three messages told me how important my business is, etc. One email from the manager asked why we didn't buy a car during our visit.

Conclusion

While this vehicle is excellent in almost every way, it will not replace my Model 3, but it could be an ideal replacement for my wife's hybrid when the lease is up. It's not as fast as the Model 3 and doesn't have neck-crushing acceleration, and that's OK. It's still zippier than any comparable gas-powered SUV in its class.

I can see this selling well, and while I don't think it's a threat for the Model Y or Model 3 sales, I can see it eating into sales over the Ford Mach-E and Volkswagen ID.4

We are also going to test drive the Kia EV6 shortly.

View attachment 780671

View attachment 780672

View attachment 780673
Thank you for a thoughtful review. I am coming off of a 3 year lease of a model 3. I love it, but am looking for something with a smoother quieter ride. Could you compare the cars on those parameters?

Thank you for a thoughtful review. I am coming off of a 3 year lease of a model 3. I love it, but am looking for something with a smoother quieter ride. Could you compare the cars on those parameters?
@Steven Mandel Test drive a new Model 3 too. By all accounts 2021+ are notably quieter and smoother than the older ones (except for occasional assembly issues causing major wind noise sadly). You might want a different car anyways, if only for variety's sake, but it's worth at least testing a new Model 3 as a baseline.

Also test the Polestar 2 dual motor. Smoother and quieter than a Model 3 comparing 2021 models, and better power than most non-Tesla EVs. It's a very different feeling car from a Model 3, with different strengths and weaknesses, yet I liked it just as much. I almost bought a Polestar 2 Performance before cancelling the order and buying an M3P instead. Polestar brings the test car to you so that makes it pretty easy.

The Mach-E is also nicely quiet, and potentially smoother, *but* every version of it has issues that would keep me from ever buying or recommending it (unless/until Ford improves it). Basically the GT Performance Edition is the only one with a good suspension, it rides and handles well with the Magneride dampers, but the GT (PE or regular) overheats too easily and throttles both power and charging speed. Meanwhile the non-PE Mach-E don't have enough power for me and they have crappy suspension tuning that is too soft, e.g. the rear of a Premium AWD I tested was floaty just cruising on the highway. (GT PE and Premium AWD were the only two trims I tested, but by most accounts all the non-PE ones have the same floaty suspension, even the regular GT.)

(I'll readily admit that a 2021 M3P gets floaty when pushed really hard on a twisty back road, but it's not floaty just cruising around, not like that Mach-E Premium AWD was.)

I can't give any firsthand comparison with the Ioniq 5 or EV6 yet unfortunately, those weren't out when we were car shopping last fall. Obviously I'm interested and following these threads even though I'm not currently in the market. I'm sure you're also looking at the BMW i4 too, by all accounts it's very quiet and smooth, though I've seen many reports that it doesn't drive as well as a Model 3 in terms of handling and driver engagement. I've no idea if they're even available to test yet in the US though.

I love my M3 but it is 3.5 years now and it’s resale value is crazy …. However, I can’t find anything else convincing. Ioniq is not for sale here though I have seen a couple on the road, Kia is available, polestar 2, Mach e, etc… they all have something cool about them but none are the total package. Just looking at the steering wheel controls is dated. And all their forums are littered with software bugs while I have had basically zero (once just once I had to reboot M3). I probably like the polestar 2 best but FWD and a bad autopilot for 3,5k and the dealer is 3 hours away? Nada.

Anyone found anything actually better?

I love my M3 but it is 3.5 years now and it’s resale value is crazy …. However, I can’t find anything else convincing. Ioniq is not for sale here though I have seen a couple on the road, Kia is available, polestar 2, Mach e, etc… they all have something cool about them but none are the total package. Just looking at the steering wheel controls is dated. And all their forums are littered with software bugs while I have had basically zero (once just once I had to reboot M3). I probably like the polestar 2 best but FWD and a bad autopilot for 3,5k and the dealer is 3 hours away? Nada.

Anyone found anything actually better?
A new Model Y.

Reactions: pipestem
A new Model Y.

So, I spent some time going through the ordering process for a few alternatives .... and .... best overall option is a new model 3 rwd. It has a reasonable availability window (jun-aug). Its basically my car which I love with routine improvements (it does feel a little more solid), a heated steering wheel (whoopee), a little more range, and 3.5 years more warranty. I like the specs and features of the bmw i4 40 but it just oozes pretentious and worse unknown availability. A Mach e has good features and specs but a minimum 32 week window for seomthing i don't really want or trust. Q4 etron has apparantly been pushed back to 2023. I ain't paying $50k for no Kia. Long live the king. I might do it.

So, I spent some time going through the ordering process for a few alternatives .... and .... best overall option is a new model 3 rwd. It has a reasonable availability window (jun-aug). Its basically my car which I love with routine improvements (it does feel a little more solid), a heated steering wheel (whoopee), a little more range, and 3.5 years more warranty. I like the specs and features of the bmw i4 40 but it just oozes pretentious and worse unknown availability. A Mach e has good features and specs but a minimum 32 week window for seomthing i don't really want or trust. Q4 etron has apparantly been pushed back to 2023. I ain't paying $50k for no Kia. Long live the king. I might do it.
The heated steering wheel is the best part of a Tesla....pure luxury 🤣, before I got my M3 LR, I did not know that I needed one and if it was an option I probably wouldn’t have ticked the box...now I would fight anybody to keep it! Let others have their German suspension and their Italian handling...I have a heated steering wheel 😜

Suddenly seeing a fair number of Ioniq 5 vehicles on the road. Significantly more than any other EV, aside from Teslas of course, which are everywhere. I will hand it Hyundai in evidently being dedicated to putting out a reasonably high volume EV, which other legacy manufacturers have not achieved yet. Still hate the styling of the Ioniq though, now that I am seeing it up close, but I grant you that is a totally subjective point.

Reactions: mangrove79
I have seen two Ioniq 5's in the wild in Silicon Valley. However, I see way more ID.4's around - that's because they've been on the market longer.
Around me, the ID4s are also far more available, with several sitting in local showrooms. Not true of the Ioniq5’s unless the dealer markup is egregiously high. And even then it’ll sell. The scarce Ioniq5 allocation for the US seems to be the major problem though.

Reactions: miimura