Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Garmin Dash Cams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first time considering a dash cam so I'm a total noob in this realm. I've read many people on this forum discussing a few brands that I've never heard of outside of the dash cam world, such as Blackview. I was considering the 750 and now I just realized Garmin makes dash cams. Having had very good experiences with Garmin products I am interested in their dash cam, but also curious why I've not seem them discussed much on the TMC froums.

Looking at the specs of the Garmin 65W, it seems to be their top end model. It has a 180 degree view which seems better than Blackview 750's 139 degree lens. It also has parking motion sensing, low light capability and other features I see that the Blackview has.

Garmin's wider angle view seems like it would be more useful for a dash cam to potentially capture more of the scene to be used if the car is broken into or in the case of an accident, which is my main use for a DC.

Any one have any experience with the Garmin 65 or other Garmins? How's it stack up against the Blackview 750?

Announcement: Garmin Dash Cam 65W - Garmin Blog

Thanks

SnowFlyer

Last edited:
Go with tried an tested
I have use Blackvue for over three years and just switched to the Thinkware as I like the form factor and better motion detection (the Blackvue is way to sensitive)

That said both Blackvue or Thinkware offer excellent cams exactly what you need in a dash cam

Reactions: Akikiki
Go with tried an tested
I have use Blackvue for over three years and just switched to the Thinkware as I like the form factor and better motion detection (the Blackvue is way to sensitive)

That said both Blackvue or Thinkware offer excellent cams exactly what you need in a dash cam

Thanks for the feedback on Blackvue and Thinkware.

I did a google web search and Garmin's been making Dash Cams since 2014, so 4 years is a decent amount of experience. I've used their products in outdoor, aviation, and marine applications. Garmin's user interface tends to be a little less intuitive than Apple's mobile products, but they've all functioned well and been reliable in my experience. Garmin's made GPS cameras for a while too so they are not complete newbies to the video world and are seasoned veterans in the mobile electronics and GPS world.

Garmin launches new dash cams at CES, GPS optional - Roadshow

I have a pair of Blackvue's in my S. Very pleased with the coverage and performance.

On another note. I added the Garmin Speak to my S. It connects to the Internet via the Bluetooth connection on your smartphone and the Garmin Speak app. It does not need a hotspot. Its fun to talk to Alexa via the Speak and after enabling some Tesla skills under Alexa, its shocking to passengers to hear Alexa reply to car status such as remaining range to instance.

Although it just for fun, I also added the Nexx_Garage GDO hardware and enabled it via Alexa for support. Now, I can walk out to my garage and ask Alexa to open the garage door and close it once I have returned home (secured via a PIN). After leaving the house, I can query the Speak and Alexa for the GDO status. Of course the car still opens and closes the door before I depart and as I return. Such cool stuff these days.