Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the HPWC, Feedback from Licensed Electricians on my Q

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to rent or purchase a IR Camera for a while now. Not cheap :( I'd love to own one, as I could use one regularally, just hard to swallow $1-2k to purchase one.

This is a seasonal motel, open 4-5 months/year (summer). Natural Gas usage would be highly minimal.
And again, this is a Motel, and gets high Model S/EV Traffic due to being the only charging location in the midwest's largest tourist city. Got to the point last summer where they had to start taking Reservations to use the 14-50 outlet they had.

Look into getting an energy audit.

Many companies will have ir cameras (I have one) and you may get some other worthwhile information and education about building science and your structures.

I have been trying to rent or purchase a IR Camera for a while now. Not cheap :( I'd love to own one, as I could use one regularally, just hard to swallow $1-2k to purchase one.
It looks like you can still rent a Flir i7 from some Home Depot stores: http://www.flir.com/homedepot/

The stores in Deerfield and Palatine, IL are on the list. Just a little over an hour from Greendale.

I rented one a couple of winters ago to debug some heat loss/ice damming issues. $45 for a half day or $75 for a full day. I have a quick write up with sample pictures here: http://www.tga3.com/flir/

It looks like you can still rent a Flir i7 from some Home Depot stores: http://www.flir.com/homedepot/

The stores in Deerfield and Palatine, IL are on the list. Just a little over an hour from Greendale.

I rented one a couple of winters ago to debug some heat loss/ice damming issues. $45 for a half day or $75 for a full day. I have a quick write up with sample pictures here: http://www.tga3.com/flir/

Chris, I'm down in the Chicago are almost daily, I'd be willing to pick up the camera for you if you decide to rent it. Deerfield is on my way and near the Highland Park SC.

But I'd say first, start talking to the utility up there and let them know what you're doing because as a few have said, it sounds like you're over running that transformer.

Chris, I'm down in the Chicago are almost daily, I'd be willing to pick up the camera for you if you decide to rent it. Deerfield is on my way and near the Highland Park SC.

But I'd say first, start talking to the utility up there and let them know what you're doing because as a few have said, it sounds like you're over running that transformer.

So far, thanks everyone for the responses and feedback on this thread! I appreciate it!
I've been holding off a few days to respond, as I have been communicating back and fourth with the power co. Verdict I'm getting, is since the Dells is "seasonal", they will not be replacing the transformer unless it fails... As the majority of the use is 4 months out of the year. So looks like I will be going with the previous mentioned option, boil the sucker out!
The Sandrift isn't even open for the summer yet (Opens next week, the week before the Tesla Get-Together), with very low load on the transformer. I can just imagine that thing popping when all the AC units are running, people are turning on the electric stoves in the units (all rooms have full kitchen) so on and so fourth.....

Thanks for the info on the Flir, I've used one of those in the past, very nice thermal camera! I'd need it for a weekend at least, so it would be at minimum 2-3 days of use, which adds up quick. I'm going to still see if I can find a used good condition one at a fair price, as I could use one regularly.

Thanks Matt for the offer of picking one up if I need. I will let you know if I do go the rental route. And don't forget, the party's on the 17th, you are of course welcome to come!

I will post later tonight.

Cheers!

So far, thanks everyone for the responses and feedback on this thread! I appreciate it!
I've been holding off a few days to respond, as I have been communicating back and fourth with the power co. Verdict I'm getting, is since the Dells is "seasonal", they will not be replacing the transformer unless it fails... As the majority of the use is 4 months out of the year. So looks like I will be going with the previous mentioned option, boil the sucker out!
You should take video of your transformer boil party, and post it up on here. Sounds like fun.

The Sandrift isn't even open for the summer yet (Opens next week, the week before the Tesla Get-Together), with very low load on the transformer. I can just imagine that thing popping when all the AC units are running, people are turning on the electric stoves in the units (all rooms have full kitchen) so on and so fourth.....

From your diagram, it looks like you have control of four 200-Amp service entrance/panels. If you want to max out without popping panel breakers, with some margin, your should be able to get close to 150 Amps per Service Entrance; that time 4 is 600 Amps * 240 Volts or 144 kW out of a 75 kW transformer. With a little help from neighbors across the street, it could be interesting. Just remember that it may take hours to really get that transformer hot, and be prepared for a self-induced power outage of unknown duration.

Have fun, but I would keep a few fire extinguishers and some water hoses handy near the transformer. Also, keep an eye on all of those electric ranges... :wink:

You should take video of your transformer boil party, and post it up on here. Sounds like fun.
Don't worry about that, I will of course have one of my famous youtube videos on the party and get-together :)

- - - Updated - - -

From your diagram, it looks like you have control of four 200-Amp service entrance/panels. If you want to max out without popping panel breakers, with some margin, your should be able to get close to 150 Amps per Service Entrance; that time 4 is 600 Amps * 240 Volts or 144 kW out of a 75 kW transformer. With a little help from neighbors across the street, it could be interesting. Just remember that it may take hours to really get that transformer hot, and be prepared for a self-induced power outage of unknown duration.

Have fun, but I would keep a few fire extinguishers and some water hoses handy near the transformer. Also, keep an eye on all of those electric ranges... :wink:

Just with the Sandrift running normally, 3 of the services are already heavily taxed. Until I can switch two of the electric stoves to natural gas, one of the HPWC will be limited to 40 amps (One outside the office), and the 14-50 will be locked, and only unlocked for use upon request when the HPWC on the Garage is not in use to prevent over-loading. This summer will be a bit of a Juggling Trick, but will make it work. I will monitor the loads throughout the summer. I have my clamp on amp meter, will be measuring during peak loads, extreme heat, and when it looks like many people are cooking (Electric Stoves) to judge if the HPWC on the office can be turned up. I figure, start low and watch the load. if loads peak well below and are in a safe zone, I will turn up the HPWC. The one on the Garage that this thread has been about will be the main charging location as it was last year.
Have been slowly replacing all Lights at Sandrift with CFL's, but Focus on Energy came in end of last season and replaced EVERY light with a CFL (accept the big Sodium floodlights) at no charge. Just the porch lights for each unit alone that is about 4 kWh draw saved at night! Not to mention all the lamps and lights in the rooms! Farm & Fleet has a nice CFL Flood light Dusk to Dawn fixture on sale for (and I cant believe the price) $26 right now. Equivalent of 300 watt sodium bulb but only draws about 60 watts, so a bit more saved their. It all adds up royally.
All the TV's are still CRT, cant justify spending thousands replacing TV's when they have a stock pile of 20 or 30 more (got them all for $1 each), so not going to save anything with the TV's. basically, the big loads are Air Conditioning, Electric Stoves, Microwaves and Lights. Microwaves are so intermittent wont make much a dent, AC's are more sustained, but draw isn't very high, Lights, well, as most people staying at motels do, leave the lights on all the time. Don't need to worry about heaters as Sandrift is not open during the Winter.

Oh, and another note, I was told the City inspector came through and did the yearly inspection. Saw the HPWC and started asking lots of Tesla Questions. He inspected my install and said it was better then most the professional electrical installs he's seen in the Dells :) So at least I'm set in that regard :)