Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, that is why Electrify America's network is so cool. They are doing it "right" and putting stations in along travel routes. EVGo is pretty good with that as well.

My fear with Electrify America is that the second the last VW dollar is spent...they go bankrupt (like Ecotality did as soon as government funding went away for the chargers they were installing). Other automakers may not WANT to be in the energy delivery business, but what choice do they have if they want to compete with Tesla? Either get together to contribute to something like Electrify America or watch Tesla take progressively more market share. Of course ultimately, I've always thought "energy" was Elon's big play. He doesn't want to be the next big Ford, GM, VW or Toyota...he wants to be the next Exxon. He who rules the spice...

Reactions: Az_Rael
This is a post from July of this year Electrify America compared to Tesla SC The cost to fast charge in the wild utilizing EA is comparable to the price of gas. What am I missing? If charging in the wild is comparable to gas then what's the point.

Because the idea is that you will do 90% of your charging at home (and do it cheaply). If the last 10% "on the road" is no better or worse than gas, then who cares...you are still miles ahead overall.

Kudos to Ford for keeping up with innovation. A bold step in the right direction, as a classic Model S owner I wholly agree on the nosecone and vertical screen plageurism, something I can easily overlook in 2024 when I will likely test drive one.

I sniff all the right ingredients, skateboard battery placement with dual axle motors and inverters just like any modern BEV should be.

I wonder if the inclusion of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (wireless no doubt) will cause Tesla to reconsider adding support for these great features. Assuming the navigation on the Mach E has waypoints, that’s another thing that they would have over Tesla. Also items like the heated steering wheel that’s missing on the Model 3.

Tesla being around is pushing the legacy manufacturers to join the EV market. Once they join in earnest and release a true competitor, that will possibly push back on Tesla to address some of their shortcomings as well.

New I heard a rumor that they will install chargers at Ford dealerships and those are all over the place. ---that is true. I ordered a Mach E last night in the extended battery and AWD fashion. I have a home in a state where no Tesla stores or service centers exist.

One question not being asked, what is the longevity of the batteries? Tesla is known for their incredible battery technology, but what about Ford? Who will be their supplier or if it’s in-house (doubtful?), how robust will these batteries be? It wouldn’t be cool if you lose 5-10% of your range after one year.

I’d like to know more about this critical aspect of the car.

Reactions: Hank42 and N5329K
Excellent point. There was a lot of talk and chatter Sunday night. I don't recall any of Ford Representatives mentioning any details about warranties that would come along with this new motor vehicle. That would be an area in the industry that they could attempt to take a lead in.

• Electric Unique Component coverage: 8 years or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) retaining a minimum of 70% of its original capacity over that period²
  • Powertrain coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles (non high-voltage components)²
  • Bumper to Bumper coverage: 3 years / 36,000 miles²
  • Safety Restraint System coverage: 5 years / 60,000 miles²
  • Corrosion coverage (Perforation only): 5 years / unlimited miles²
  • Electric Vehicle Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years / 60,000 miles²

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
It's very well possible that Ford owners will get discounted rates through Ford's "FordPass". Also, two years of free charging will be included in the vehicle purchase according to this page:

Ford Introduces North America’s Largest Electric Vehicle Charging Network, Helping Customers Confidently Switch to an All-Electric Lifestyle | Ford Media Center

I don't think the charging is free. It's the FordPass membership that's free for the first two years. My guess is that FordPass will have a subscription fee. From your article:

" Ford is providing two years of complimentary access to North America's largest network – the FordPass Charging Network – for easy and convenient pay-as-you-drive charging. The FordPass Charging Network includes more than 12,000 charging stations with more than 35,000 plugs1, making public chargers as common as some of the most popular pharmacy or coffee chains."