Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fast charging DC network is well underway. I want a CCS adapter for my Tesla so I can use it. Would be nice to have options on critical routes. I am seeing posts on plugshare from other EV owners who are already driving their cars long distances using this network.

Here is the CCS network in place today with stations at least 120kW:

20191118_110625.jpg
20191118_110643.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
Chargers at dealerships have always been a joke. Blocked or in use, broken, or behind a locked gate. If the charger location isn't 99% reliable it can't be part of a travel plan.

Agreed, that is why Electrify America's network is so cool. They are doing it "right" and putting stations in along travel routes. EVGo is pretty good with that as well.

Yes, looks like a decent effort, though very much another me-too that doesn't really move the needle. The interior with the big portrait screen looks like pure Model S - seven years after that design first went on sale. And the performance and range seem very much at the lower-mid range of Tesla territory. At least the pricing, if they can stick to it, is heading more towards mainstream ICE level.

Nothing mind-blowing, but another step towards a post-ICE future by a solid, mainstream manufacturer that will make the ICE holdouts more comfortable, So, good luck to Ford.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I would bet that most Tesla owners use superchargers fewer than ten times a year. I would also bet that a significant number of Tesla owners have not supercharged in the last 12 months.

Most Leaf owners do just fine charging at home on level 1. Leaf owners figure out to make EV work with limited resources. Tesla owners, due to the price point, mostly expect no inconvenience compared to ICE.

Public charging is both very important for a great many people, and also largely meaningless for a great many people.

I don't know where most Mach E owners will fall in this spectrum.

I may be atypical, but I use the supercharger at least 30 times a year, accounting for the vast majority of my charging needs, and saving me at least $100/month. And the closest charger is 45 minutes away. However, although I do use my Model S on a daily basis, I only drive a few miles. The vast majority of miles are spent on my at least once a month trips... So I probably am atypical, but the free charging at the superchargers was a huge deal to me, and I wouldn't have bought my current 2019 Model S without free charging being included.

Last edited:
How is this relevant for an Tesla forum ?
It's just another performance electric car with no modern technology like autopilot.

We do discuss other cars that are BEV's as well.

Just wonder what the range will be for the Y when it hits the road compared to this. Might make the loyal Mustang owners stick with the gas version, as it might not be as good as Tesla. Saying I will wait for Ford's next try.

Do we get the feeling this is a build from scratch EV or quick to marketing temporary solution? Interested to see parts shared with other Ford models. Cart way ahead of horse, but that is what I want to know. If it is a from scratch they sunk a good amount of change in this.

Perhaps not entirely rational, but I'm turned off by relying on a small group of chargers in Walmart parking lots that exist because of the settlement of VW's fraud.

Fair enough.

I will get flamed on here, but I am actually looking forward to VW/Audi's upcoming offerings. Figure they should be supported for taking a huge turn in the right direction after the scandal. I know if they release a good sedan, we will be replacing our S with it.

I also harbor no bad feelings against GM either even after all their debacles. Tesla is showing it is made from the same cloth as the rest of them lately (see: batterygate). At that point, I just pick the best car and service for me.

Last time I checked. This is not possible. Any accountants feel like explaining it?

The Mach-E will make a profit “on vehicle one,” he said in a Bloomberg TV interview. “That’s surprising a lot of people because electrics have not had a history of making money. This will.” Jim Hackett

Don't need to be an accountant ... What he's claiming is that that no 'capital investment' was required to set up the production line and start the parts supply to produce this vehicle, and furthermore this (supposedly) brand new vehicle (except for the old name) cost nothing to design. No 'sunk costs'. It was all FREE. The man apparently thinks we're all Liberals drinkin' the kool-aid, or at the least, mentally deficient. (Pardon the redundancy.)

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I may be atypical, but I use the supercharger at least 30 times a year, accounting for the vast majority of my charging needs, and saving me at least $100/month. And the closest charger is 45 minutes away. However, although I do use my Model S on a daily basis, I only drive a few miles. The vast majority of miles are spent on my at least once a month trips... So I probably am atypical, but the free charging at the superchargers was a huge deal to me, and I wouldn't have bought my current 2019 Model S without free charging being included.

Any issue with your Supercharging speed getting reduced for battery life preservation?

But EA prices are pretty high. By me the 1-125KW rate charger is $0.69/min. 1-350 KW is $0.99/min.

Agreed. You can lower them some by buying the monthly pass+. Will be interesting to see how pricing plays out in this field over time. Tesla has been raising prices over time, so we will see where they all end up. I suspect Tesla is priced a bit low and the others are way too high.