Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three Windshield Replacements in 6 months | Advice Appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - So I've had my Model 3 LR RWD for almost a year now (10/18 Production Date). Car has been great but the windshield keeps cracking from regular road debris.

My original windshield cracked from impact in May 2019. I got it replaced at the service center. The replacement one cracked in August 2019. I got that replaced at the service center again. Both times there was impact (small rock on high away) but the actual impact location was a very small chip. However, in both case it cracked all the way to the edge so it could not be sealed by someone like Safelite.

Three months later, the windshield has cracked again. There is a small chip again indicating impact but it's cracked all the way to the edge again. I've been driving the same roads and highway commute for the last 7-8 years. My old car was a BMW 3 series and I never had a single chip on the windshield. I'm at a point now where it's really hard to believe that it's just bad luck.

Any advice on what I should do? I already reached out to the service center but I doubt they will do anything (the 2nd time they said since its impact its not a defect). I know I can go to zero deductible on glass insurance but it can't all be chance if it's 3 times in 6 months :(

Hi All - So I've had my Model 3 LR RWD for almost a year now (10/18 Production Date). Car has been great but the windshield keeps cracking from regular road debris.

My original windshield cracked from impact in May 2019. I got it replaced at the service center. The replacement one cracked in August 2019. I got that replaced at the service center again. Both times there was impact (small rock on high away) but the actual impact location was a very small chip. However, in both case it cracked all the way to the edge so it could not be sealed by someone like Safelite.

Three months later, the windshield has cracked again. There is a small chip again indicating impact but it's cracked all the way to the edge again. I've been driving the same roads and highway commute for the last 7-8 years. My old car was a BMW 3 series and I never had a single chip on the windshield. I'm at a point now where it's really hard to believe that it's just bad luck.

Any advice on what I should do? I already reached out to the service center but I doubt they will do anything (the 2nd time they said since its impact its not a defect). I know I can go to zero deductible on glass insurance but it can't all be chance if it's 3 times in 6 months :(
I have two small impacts and one large crack (and replacement windshield) since spring 2019. I'm considering going to zero deductible on glass, since at nearly $1K per windshield and ~$150 per crack fill, it's getting expensive. Something about the Model 3 windshield makes it prone to rock strikes--material, angle to ground, ...? I'm sure my insurance rates will go up.

I sprayed my car off and I suppose the water was cold and the glass was hot... windshield cracked. They pointed to something smaller than the tip of a pen and said it must have been an impact and the hot/cold made it crack, so I needed to fork over a grand. I guess things happen, but these windshields seem to be brittle as all get out...

The satellite guy just stopped by since insurance requires them to check that it can't be repaired prior to taking it to Tesla. The guy said he sees the same issue with every Tesla M3 windshield he works on. The cracks on these windshields for some reason will just expand quickly even if there is a small minor chip. He also commented that they noticed the windshield is thinner than most other OEM glass.

Since we can't use other glass, I guess it's just another $1K service revenue for Tesla. As much as I love the company, it's hard not to see this as incentive for them to use cheaper/thinner glass knowing customer will have to come to the service center to replace it.

• Helpful
Reactions: super20g
I've had my M3 for about 5 months now, my windshield was hit twice with a rock on the freeway during this period which causes some surface chips with no cracks. The windshield is still holding up with no cracks. The last one was about a month ago. Hopefully no crack show up on the windshield.

I suggest to avoid being near the 18 wheeler trucks, either move over a lane or go pass them.

Last edited:

The hood is sloped lower to the ground than your average car, and the windshield starts quite low. Notice the great visibility you have looking downward in front of you. This all contributes to more pebbles being able to reach the windshield. More hits equals more cracks.

As far as I can tell, the glass is made by Saint-Gobain, a well-known auto glass manufacturer. At least the windows are. My BMW also has Saint-Gobain Sekurit glass.

I would definitely look into that ClearPlex product.

The Model 3 windshield is indeed a nick, chip and scratch magnet.

Likely a function of the frontal area design and unobstructed projectile path to the large and curved windshield plus the presumed thinner laminated sandwiched pieces that make it up. This cant be helping.

1 year into ownership my windshield looks like one off a 6-8 year old all-highway-miles car. Or from what I hear, a Colorado based 6 month old car.

Same driving pattern and behavior as last 25+ years of driving, no tailgaiting, trucks vans buses pickups and jeeps avoided like the plague as much as possible. Limited to no snow, salt/sand driving.

Reactions: Dr. J
The Model 3 windshield is indeed a nick, chip and scratch magnet.

Likely a function of the frontal area design and unobstructed projectile path to the large and curved windshield plus the presumed thinner laminated sandwiched pieces that make it up. This cant be helping.

1 year into ownership my windshield looks like one off a 6-8 year old all-highway-miles car. Or from what I hear, a Colorado based 6 month old car.

Same driving pattern and behavior as last 25+ years of driving, no tailgaiting, trucks vans buses pickups and jeeps avoided like the plague as much as possible. Limited to no snow, salt/sand driving.

Agreed...the glass just seems way too thin compared to other vehicles. I'm going to try to measure it somehow. I really think it has to do with how it's not a single piece but the two pieces glued together.

I just have a really hard time convincing myself that it's my bad luck. Whatever that I'm saving in gas/maintenance seems like it will just go towards windshields at this point. Pretty sad since I LOVE the car otherwise.

Reactions: Perscitus
The two sheets sandwiched together with a film in between is standard laminated glass MO as seen on all modern era cars.

The only differences I can think of are a. thickness of each sheet b. curvature and size related properties of glass used or cured (read - compromises, limitations caused by these constraints) c. an uptick in the likelihood of windshield strikes caused by the aerodynamic frontal area design.

Given the count of daily beater duty Teslas (particularly Model 3s) out there, there is zero chance of Tesla addressing this in ways other than $1K replacements.

I drove to Texas a few months ago and my window got a chip in it from a rock. A few minutes later the crack started growing, it grew to about 3 feet totally obstructing my view. I got it replaced and the guys doing it said they have multiple Model 3's a day for the same issue. I now live in fear of this happening again!

That's a real bummer. I'm surprised. How is this happening? Is it a problem in NY or are you just driving much too close to other cars at high speed? I guess I should not consider myself to be lucky. I have yet to get a chip during my 3 years of interstate driving. Now that I said it, I'm sure I will get one today. :rolleyes:

I drove to Texas a few months ago and my window got a chip in it from a rock. A few minutes later the crack started growing, it grew to about 3 feet totally obstructing my view. I got it replaced and the guys doing it said they have multiple Model 3's a day for the same issue. I now live in fear of this happening again!
On US 287? That's where 2 out of my 3 rock chips/cracks happened. Like it's a gravel road.

That's a real bummer. I'm surprised. How is this happening? Is it a problem in NY or are you just driving much too close to other cars at high speed? I guess I should not consider myself to be lucky. I have yet to get a chip during my 3 years of interstate driving. Now that I said it, I'm sure I will get one today. :rolleyes:
Hopefully not, dont jinx it!

Is your windshield prestine? You should at the very least have a fair count of nicks and the typical diamond sparkle glitter effect when driving directly into a raising or setting sun.