Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time-Based Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they don't come up with a new rate schedule, then you won't see a change. But once they do, you'll be subject to it after the 5 year grandfather period ends. SDG&E seems to be leading on this, but there has been no change at SCE as of yet.

Got it last night here in SoCal, in SCE territory. So far this morning, during the "shoulder" hours, our Powerwalls have been discharging while all of our solar gets exported. As of 8 AM when our nighttime off peak period ends, the Powerwalls had about 91% charge. Now they're down to 76% (thanks to some cooking and a bit of EV charging). This might actually be a good thing, as I haven't been crazy about the Powerwalls sitting at 100% charge for hours every day.

The question is, when will our Powerwalls start charging from solar? We'll see. I have the reserve set down at 15% since we're getting plenty of solar generation each day. (At our altitude, we're above the inversion layer the great majority of the time, so we don't really experience "May gray" or "June gloom".)

Got it last night here in SoCal, in SCE territory. So far this morning, during the "shoulder" hours, our Powerwalls have been discharging while all of our solar gets exported. As of 8 AM when our nighttime off peak period ends, the Powerwalls had about 91% charge. Now they're down to 76% (thanks to some cooking and a bit of EV charging). This might actually be a good thing, as I haven't been crazy about the Powerwalls sitting at 100% charge for hours every day.

The question is, when will our Powerwalls start charging from solar? We'll see. I have the reserve set down at 15% since we're getting plenty of solar generation each day. (At our altitude, we're above the inversion layer the great majority of the time, so we don't really experience "May gray" or "June gloom".)
Mine has consumed solar all morning despite being set to “cost-saving.” Powerwalls are sitting at 99%. I have reserve set to 60%. I’ve exported excess solar but I assumed I would export all solar especially during peak, consuming from the batteries during that time.

Looks like it finally switched over.

89ECCC56-03CB-4472-BF32-130EC79EFE14.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Well, we're into our peak period today, and our Powerwalls never charged from solar at all. They're now down to 61% charge. This will still be more than enough to carry us through the evening hours. I'll be watching tomorrow to see if/when, and at what state of charge, our Powerwalls start charging.

Actually, they did charge a little this morning, from our off peak (before 8 AM) solar production.

Here is my observation of what cost-saving mode seems to do for me. I have solar and am on the PG&E E-6 schedule. The weekday schedule is off-peak until 10am, shoulder until 1pm, peak until 7pm and then shoulder until 9pm. On the weekend, there is a shoulder period from 5pm to 8pm, the rest is off-peak.

1. Off-peak: powerwalls charge from all solar.
2. Shoulder: powerwalls charge from all solar, tapering to reach a target of backup reserve + 30%. If the charge is greater than backup reserve + 30%, the powerwalls will discharge to offset house load until they reach that level.
3. Peak: powerwalls discharge to offset house load.

I'm hoping the "machine learning" in the system will adjust the 30% reserve for peak usage to better reflect usage in the long term. We have an electric dryer and on laundry days I have to adjust the reserve to be able to offset load for the whole peak period.

Note also that I've set my off-peak period to begin at 7pm because I participate in OhmConnect, so I'm less familiar with what would happen in the post-peak period.

Yea I noticed it as well that it was using solar during part-peak, but now that it's full peak period it is drawing from the powerwall for the house only. I just kicked on my Model 3 to charge and It sucks power from everywhere (grid, solar and battery) as I would expect.

Not impressed so far. Gloomy autumn day in Melb, 7am to 11pm peak, forecast PV today about 5kWh, but TBC only charged to 63%.

Prediction - if we're lucky we will only use about 5kWh from the grid during peak - the same amount TBC didn't bother to pre-charge by.
Screenshot_20180516-074802.jpg

My algorithm said charge to 100%

I finally got Time-based Control today! Just in time for Summer TOU rates...

I am in Northern California PG&E land with Powerwall version 1.15.1 and Tesla App version 3.3.6.
This must coincide with PR that TE has released TOU for PowerWall 2.
Tesla releases Powerwall 2 update to let owners take better advantage of variable energy costs
Tesla Powerwall adds time-based control

Only ~6 months late with very public beta.

Looking forward to it whenever my installer has stock.

• Love
Reactions: Babaron
I talked to a Powerwall support rep today. One interesting fact that came out of the discussion is that they don't recommend TBC - Cost Saving mode for people with rate plans that don't have solar generation during Off-Peak. My Part-Peak starts at 7am weekdays, so she said that Cost Saving mode would not work for me and that I should just use Balanced mode. I have been doing that, but I found it interesting that there is no hint of this in the published information.

You guys that just got TBC and are on PG&E Schedule EV, please read this carefully. Then, take a deep breath and give up on Cost Saving mode...

You guys that just got TBC and are on PG&E Schedule EV, please read this carefully. Then, take a deep breath and give up on Cost Saving mode...
I’ve considered this. But can’t I just tweak my schedule in the app to still skew things appropriately?

You and I are on the same rate plan. Why not just skew our "off-peak" in the app to end at 11am or whatever is necessary to recharge the Powerwalls? Sure, we might consume some higher-rate energy, but it'll still work as designed - we'll mostly sell back during peak.

I'm guessing I'm missing something.

I’ve considered this. But can’t I just tweak my schedule in the app to still skew things appropriately?

You and I are on the same rate plan. Why not just skew our "off-peak" in the app to end at 11am or whatever is necessary to recharge the Powerwalls? Sure, we might consume some higher-rate energy, but it'll still work as designed - we'll mostly sell back during peak.

I have tweaked the hours where it works perfectly sans grid charging. It will only charge on any source during shoulder and off peak, and discharge on any usage during peak. The only tweak I did was to have it use net usage during 7-9 peak hours (i effectively chabged this time to offpeak on the schedule). I want to have some baseline as I am still able participate in ohmconnect and make money on certain days. And as the summer fog starts rolling in, I want to make sure I don’t drain too much where the morning sun(or lack therof) will still be able to charge enough for that days peak usage. Anyways, I think the TBC cost savings works great—at least for my needs

I'm just telling you that it works as expected on Balanced with our weekday rate schedule. Cost Saving works great on the weekends when there is no Part-Peak. But you can obviously do whatever you want...

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
TBC was out of charge by 7:30 - still 3 1/2 hours of Peak to go.

I'm going to let this run, to see whether it gets better, but not a great start.

I will give them some benefit of the doubt because my mode switching may have confused the algorithm, but, to be honest, all they needed to look at was load used during peak hours less PV generation during peak hours to work out how much to pre-charge :)

upload_2018-5-16_20-0-44.png

TBC was out of charge by 7:30 - still 3 1/2 hours of Peak to go.

I'm going to let this run, to see whether it gets better, but not a great start.

I will give them some benefit of the doubt because my mode switching may have confused the algorithm, but, to be honest, all they needed to look at was load used during peak hours less PV generation during peak hours to work out how much to pre-charge :)

View attachment 301489
Are you able to charge off the grid? From the looks of your chart, you’re charging the battery at midnight to 1am

Are you able to charge off the grid?
Yep, here in AUS we don't get things like SGIP or federal tax incentives or have NEM regimes that pay the same for feed in as for consumption (usually much less, though there are some plans for peak feed in tariffs), so we can pretty much do what we want. Powerwalls are a much more marginal proposition for us - for many, we hope the ROI = warranty period.

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet