Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Time for a new (used) SUV but think budget prohibits MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on car #48 (maybe 49/50) by now and very familiar with the different brands, warranties, Didn't beat the X5 but it's been rapidly falling apart. Typical use from a stay at home mom shuffling kids around. Heater failed, radiator/coolant failure, water pump replacement, recent tires, brakes, rotors, etc. and now it has a massive oil leak from probably the oil pan gasket and a persistent valve cover leak. Not interested in paying all that money to have it fixed because I have zero confidence those are the last of the issues for a while.

39k for a 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE, 3rd row seat, new brakes and rotors, CPO warranty for 60K miles and/or January 2023. Dealer is about 5 miles away and offers loaners, pick up/drop off service. Don't see how a 2016 MX 75d is "worth" about 17k more when I factor in the transport cost, difference in trade, increased taxes and those things.

Tesla is in my future but not for my wife at this point in time.

X and Y are simply in different categories. Y cost less, and X gives more.

If just up to me I would go with X. I have enjoyed my S and would like to have a similar experience in an SUV. My wife, however, likes the smaller size of the GLK and therefore likes the Y better than the X. I think we will wait until we can experience driving both so we can make a more informed decision (or get my wife the Y and I will just keep driving the S). Probably couldn’t lose either way.

Track the used. I’m seeing some but not a lot of used 100d’s on Tesla-info.com, and ev-Cpo that get pretty close to your needs. Join them so they can email you new listings and update you with the major price drops from day to day.

Reactions: EVortex
Unless you really, really need the extra cargo space and/or 6+ seating, a brand new model Y beats out a three-year-old used Model X in almost every possible aspect. Efficiency, range, charging, cost, AP, MCU, etc... you name it. I guess the Model X 0-60 time is marginally faster than the Y for non-performance versions. If it were me I would 100% go for the new Model Y and use the "savings" over a used X to get the performance version.

Last edited:
Reactions: teko and SeaNile
If it were me I would 100% go for the new Model Y and use the "savings" over a used X to get the performance version.
I wish I was ready for that minimalist design. But not yet. Somehow craning my neck to see the 3/Y monitor while driving is rather annoying but most I guess like that. No dual binnacle straight ahead in front of the driver? No sound of the FWD that reminds me of the Starship Enterprise? What? No falcon wing door-eye view of those vegan whites against a dark exterior? Wait. No standing on the sill full height under said fwd? None of the satisfaction of one of my three 6'+ tall stepsons ambling back between the two middle rows and into the third row? No self presenting doors? Hmmm. That feels like going backwards. Thats tuff too. No self closing door? You want me to use those two handed handles on the Y, really? Or maybe I'm just gettin too old for this...

I wish I was ready for that minimalist design. But not yet. Somehow craning my neck to see the 3/Y monitor while driving is rather annoying but most I guess like that. No dual binnacle straight ahead in front of the driver? No sound of the FWD that reminds me of the Starship Enterprise? What? No falcon wing door-eye view of those vegan whites against a dark exterior? Wait. No standing on the sill full height under said fwd? None of the satisfaction of one of my three 6'+ tall stepsons ambling back between the two middle rows and into the third row? No self presenting doors? Hmmm. That feels like going backwards. Thats tuff too. No self closing door? You want me to use those two handed handles on the Y, really? Or maybe I'm just gettin too old for this...

I guess it depends what you value. Most of what you mentioned doesn't really do anything for me - I'd much rather have newer tech with faster charging and more range. Plus I often find the FWD more of a hassle than a benefit.

FWIW, the 'presitge' need is always costly the longer you hold on to a used car. The repair costs eventually plus the reduced resale for being out of warranty will be very expensive.

If you have to pick a prestigious suv to impress your clients or VC money, look at a lexus of perhaps newer infiniti QX60 (after 2016) , they generally have lower maintenance costs and also cheaper than a range rover.

If you don't need to impress anyone, just get the cheapest highly rated japanese SUV, and you will save tons of money to put towards an EV SUV in a few years. Look into what a used Model Y or X will sell for in 3 years.

With an EV, the electicity costs will be much lower than gasoline, even with today's historic low prices, charging at off-peak hours at home still cheaper than filling up. You can also factor in the savings in gasoline minus your electricity charges if you know your annual driving distance. It should add up to quite a bit over 3 years.

Also, while range is important, that has to be compared against your actual regular driving distance and presence of a charger where you stop (at work, lunch), and for most people, there's always a way to make the difference between 200miles vs 300 miles irrelevant except for the rare road trips.

FWIW, the 'presitge' need is always costly the longer you hold on to a used car. The repair costs eventually plus the reduced resale for being out of warranty will be very expensive.

If you have to pick a prestigious suv to impress your clients or VC money, look at a lexus of perhaps newer infiniti QX60 (after 2016) , they generally have lower maintenance costs and also cheaper than a range rover.

If you don't need to impress anyone, just get the cheapest highly rated japanese SUV, and you will save tons of money to put towards an EV SUV in a few years. Look into what a used Model Y or X will sell for in 3 years.

With an EV, the electicity costs will be much lower than gasoline, even with today's historic low prices, charging at off-peak hours at home still cheaper than filling up. You can also factor in the savings in gasoline minus your electricity charges if you know your annual driving distance. It should add up to quite a bit over 3 years.

Also, while range is important, that has to be compared against your actual regular driving distance and presence of a charger where you stop (at work, lunch), and for most people, there's always a way to make the difference between 200miles vs 300 miles irrelevant except for the rare road trips.

My first priority is to not burn fossil fuels. I have a problem with the thousands of premature respiratory deaths every year. Our Tesla’s are just one of the big ways of starting to combat this problem. If that EV is of dream car type quality, all the better for those so passionate. This prestige thing is good if you’re into being seen. But I just love the looks personally.

• Disagree
Reactions: TOBASH