Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for car to power up (be ready to drive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gjunky

Trifecta: Solar and both cars are EVs
Mar 26, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Not always but on a regular basis, I see the message on the front screen "Systems powering up. Press brake when the message clears". Sometimes it is there for a few seconds. Sometime for 10 seconds or more.

My wife encountered this message and it took several minutes (she said 5 but I wasn't there) to clear. The car is a big paperweight until this clears and with the high heat today and no AC yet not a good thing. The center screen ended up being locked up too and she had to reboot it (after the car woke up and drove). Needless to say, she wasn't very happy with the car. The car had been driven and then parked for 40 minutes until she came back to it.

It sounds like the car went to sleep. Not sure why it takes different times to wake up again. It is very inconsistent.

Does anyone have any information on what triggers this message and can you give some indication on how long this message usually stays?

Not always but on a regular basis, I see the message on the front screen "Systems powering up. Press brake when the message clears". Sometimes it is there for a few seconds. Sometime for 10 seconds or more.

My wife encountered this message and it took several minutes (she said 5 but I wasn't there) to clear. The car is a big paperweight until this clears and with the high heat today and no AC yet not a good thing. The center screen ended up being locked up too and she had to reboot it (after the car woke up and drove). Needless to say, she wasn't very happy with the car. The car had been driven and then parked for 40 minutes until she came back to it.

It sounds like the car went to sleep. Not sure why it takes different times to wake up again. It is very inconsistent.

Does anyone have any information on what triggers this message and can you give some indication on how long this message usually stays?
Mine does the same thing, and I have the (subjective) notion that it happens more often in extremely hot weather. (Am I dreaming this or has someone else noticed this correlation?)

This, in my opinion, is a segway into discussing the pros and cons of the Tesla interface and software model.

You get the pros of over the air updates, configurable screen displays, and a generally high tech experience. But you get the cons of a personal computer -- it works most of the time, but on rare occasion it stalls or locks up and you may have to reboot.

I've had this happen to me a couple of times, once when it was very hot out. The time it was hot out the center stack was offline, which also means the AC is offline. Not cool -- pun intended.

One recommendation. If you get the "wait" message and the center screen is dark for longer than normal, don't wait any longer. Immediately reboot the center stack. Afterwards, if you still have any weird messages on the instrument cluster, reboot the instrument cluster.

Mine does the same thing, and I have the (subjective) notion that it happens more often in extremely hot weather. (Am I dreaming this or has someone else noticed this correlation?)

That is very possible because it had been VERY hot here. Turning the power conservation setting to off completely removed any wait time for us.