Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from conformation to start of production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in a similar situation. Ordered 9/3 with late Oct delivery. Moved to late October/November then two days ago, late November/December. What I was told was that at the start of a quarter (Oct 1) the factory works on European cars then Chinese cars then US. If you order in Q3 you will get delivery sometime in Q4. Sales tells customers up to 8 weeks but this only happens if you order in the early part of the quarter and your car is one they are building towards the end of the quarter when they work on US cars. Even the web site say late November if you order a custom car today. Pretty disappointed with their process and setting customer expectations. I will cancel my order if they do not deliver in December. I do not think the $7500 credit will be available next year due to changes in the tax laws.

When I ordered my S it showed Nov-Dec for a while, then when I confirmed it immediately jumped to late Dec-Jan. I have a Lexus RX to sell / part-ex & the price Tesla has given me is rubbish so was thinking of selling privately but Xmas is *not* the time to be selling a car ... neither is Jan :( So, now wondering whether to push out the delivery or try to sell my car early & run a rental for a couple of months??

@CotswoldSara looks like we're going to be on almost identical production schedules according to what you've said above and your entry on the spreadsheet.

I also went for the S75 RWD. There are 75D's on the sheet, also coming to Europe, that have been ordered more recently than mine but are already in production, so I figured they are probably waiting to run a "batch" of all remaining RWD models. For anyone who placed an order for a RWD on the final day it was possible (Sept 30th), this Saturday would be the last day before they could change their spec, so I guess by Sunday / Monday Tesla will know exactly how many RWD models they need to produce. Hopefully that will mean we might get into production next week, but I imagine that's wishful thinking.... :(. I'm also worried that selecting to pick the car up from the Bristol SC may delay collection whilst they arrange transport down from London, especially if it is around Christmas / New Year. Still, we all know it will be worth the wait!

I'm in exactly the same position as you with regards to my existing vehicle too... I'm trying to get rid of my 9 Month old Audi A3 e-tron, which I had fully loaded so it's going to be a tough sell and at a big loss I'm sure (not as bad as if I'd traded in with Tesla hopefully!). I've decided to shift it straight away though and get a rental car or something.

@PBV240

Don't know about the spreadsheet, looks like it's owner/buyer maintained though so I guess your car won't appear until you add it.

When I ordered my S it showed Nov-Dec for a while, then when I confirmed it immediately jumped to late Dec-Jan. I have a Lexus RX to sell / part-ex & the price Tesla has given me is rubbish so was thinking of selling privately but Xmas is *not* the time to be selling a car ... neither is Jan :( So, now wondering whether to push out the delivery or try to sell my car early & run a rental for a couple of months??

When did you order your car and what model did you order?

@PBV240

Don't know about the spreadsheet, looks like it's owner/buyer maintained though so I guess your car won't appear until you add it.

The same happened with me, though mine never got as far as confirmed before the date jumped from Late November to January. I pushed my sales guy really hard to find me a Inventory vehicle that was the same as my order, and on my third try (I did call him every other day after making my order) he came up trumps and we swapped my reservation. The inventory car had full self drive capability which I was not after, so they simply removed that feature for me. My car is now currently in Tilburg and I hope to have it before the end of the moth (cross fingers) !! Hurrah! It might be worth being quite "on" them to get you a car sooner.

Btw, I spoke to countless useless and unhelpful sales guys before I found one that would actually reply to emails in a prompt manner and do actual work to help me out!

Xing fingers for you!

All this obsolete before delivery is completely unnecessary!
I was only joking about it being obsolete; I originally ordered the 75D, but changed my order to the 75 after deciding spending £4.7k for a tiny 100ms 0-60 improvement, and a few extra miles wasn't worth it. I consider myself luck to have hit the order window to get the 75 with the upgraded standard package before they stopped selling it.
And gives me something to "upgrade" to in 4yrs

I was only joking about it being obsolete; I originally ordered the 75D, but changed my order to the 75 after deciding spending £4.7k for a tiny 100ms 0-60 improvement, and a few extra miles wasn't worth it. I consider myself luck to have hit the order window to get the 75 with the upgraded standard package before they stopped selling it.
And gives me something to "upgrade" to in 4yrs
I understand the frustration when something like that happens - if we ordered the beginning of Sept instead of the end we would not have gotten AWD - a few other 'options' that are now included. Plus, we got $1000 off - that was not offered the beginning of September.

Of course, when we got the order confirm on Wed, it did not have the $1000 off - so I needed to contact our salesman, who actually tried some BS story about it being in the pricing already. . . . so I played back the recording I made of the summary of his promises . . .

Funny how that solved the problem. Being in public, means there was no private conversation 0 they did not have an ordering cubicle so we were actually sitting on the side boards in the showroom -

@comanchepilot you misunderstand, I'm not complaining, I wanted a 75RWD & I'm glad I got my order in on the right day to get one, I hadn't realized until I was in the shop ordering one that they were being discontinued that night!

@tingeling never found an inventory car to match what I wanted so I'm just sticking with waiting :) Sure it'll be awesome when it gets here!

@rosslarner I'm um-ing & ah-ing about collecting from Brissol, I think we'll get a more personal service even if we do miss out on the whole "under a sheet, ta-dah" thing :D Plus if there are delivery faults & the car has to stay in to be rectified (I've heard many many stories about folks refusing cars on forums!) then Bristol isn't as far for me to go as London!

I'm planning on listing my Lexus at the end of this month to hedge my bets on sale vs hire costs :)

@rosslarner I'm um-ing & ah-ing about collecting from Brissol, I think we'll get a more personal service even if we do miss out on the whole "under a sheet, ta-dah" thing :D Plus if there are delivery faults & the car has to stay in to be rectified (I've heard many many stories about folks refusing cars on forums!) then Bristol isn't as far for me to go as London!

I was thinking of getting mine delivered to Bristol but thought that it may be quicker to pick up from Birmingham, even though I live in Bristol. I am hoping that I will not have to refuse pick up due to defects.

I was going to go for the 75 RWD but not quite sure and ended up adjusting my order to the 75D after ordering, kicking my self as I would be received my car by now if I had gone with the RWD as they are rushing the production on the last ones through.

I've heard many many stories about folks refusing cars on forums!

Although ... folk don't post "I had no delivery faults and was able to drive the car away from the showroom" :) so hard to decide if it is common, or not, but yeah its certainly more than 0%, although from what I have read other high-prestige marques can also have unacceptable delivery faults

I drove mine straight out of the showroom, but I only got half a dozen miles - to the detailing shop that Wrapped it :) They had told me to accept any minor paint defects as they would prefer to fix them rather than re-fix something that the delivery showroom [of any brand] had fixed. Their parking lots was full of Zondas and the like, so i figured that they had far more fastidious customers than me and that their attention to detail would do a better job than I could ever spot in the showroom but, as it turns out, they didn't find anything to fix (sample-size of one, of course :rolleyes:)

Haha, haven't noticed any "rushing" with my order yet :D

@CotswoldSara I finally gave in and contacted the delivery team via email this morning... Very good service and they got back to me within a couple of hours. They have told me my vehicle is scheduled for production in the last week of October, so 5 weeks after I placed my order, which was September 19th. They also told me that shipping time would then be 8 to 10 weeks.

It's not the news I wanted but at least it tallies up with what MyTesla is saying and at least now I won't be checking for an update every 5mins!

So I'm all set for getting mine first week in the New Year now... Anything faster will be a nice Christmas present! :)

@CotswoldSara I finally gave in and contacted the delivery team via email this morning... Very good service and they got back to me within a couple of hours. They have told me my vehicle is scheduled for production in the last week of October, so 5 weeks after I placed my order, which was September 19th. They also told me that shipping time would then be 8 to 10 weeks.

It's not the news I wanted but at least it tallies up with what MyTesla is saying and at least now I won't be checking for an update every 5mins!

So I'm all set for getting mine first week in the New Year now... Anything faster will be a nice Christmas present! :)

I ordered end of Oct last year and was given 4 different scheduled production dates, all of which ended up being wrong! I’m afraid checking My Tesla should still be very much part of your hourly ritual ;)

When did you order your car and what model did you order?

Sorry just noticed I never answered you, how rude of me!! I've ordered a 75RWD in white with PUP (also white) & EAP. Went for standard wheels as the upgrade cost is just silly so gonna get them done black at some point. I also stopped short of FAD as I don't think the laws in the UK will get changed before I trade the car for a new one or something else. I just couldn't justify the extra cost for the D spec for such a small gain on range or for the bigger battery (how much!!!) - having driven plenty of big RWD ICEs in the past with far fewer driver assists I'm guessing I'll be able to handle a modern Tesla just fine :)

Hi Sara Sorry just saw where you live I may need to apologise as I work at Gloucester Airport and may fly over Maisemore every now and again...

Don't worry about flying over (so long as you do it quietly at night ;) ) my little boy loves watching planes / microlights / helicopters / etc :D

Reactions: Starks117
small gain on range or for the bigger battery

Apologies if I have already said this, I did a search but couldn't find the post I was thinking of ...

The bigger battery brings some extra range, but on its own I agree that it looks expensive "per mile of range". But there is also a worthwhile improvement in Supercharging speed (they all charge to 70% in about the same time, but 70% is more miles in a bigger battery of course).

In addition to Supercharging speed there is a double-whammy issue with Range too.

I did some calculations based on a journey in a 100 charged to 100% which then needed a Supercharger stop for 10 minutes in order to reach destination.

The same journey in a 75 would have less overall range to start with, so need more charging, and have a slower charging rate, so the 75 would need about 30 minutes charging stop.

I reckon I make a 10 minute charging stop a couple of times a month, and by the time I've had a pee and grabbed a coffee the Charging is completed. A 30 minute stop would be a different thing, for me.

For anyone who very rarely uses a Supercharger it will be a very minor point

Yeah, my problem is I'm scraping to get the the cost of a 75 together ... a 75AWD would just about be doable but I don't think the documented gains are worth the extra cost and the 100 battery is just "out there" on price!! I simply cannot afford another £17k on a car :) So, much as I'd love to have a P100D (wouldn't we all!) I just can't afford it. This time around it's going to have to be the "poor mans Tesla" :D