Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use charging (TOU)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Northern California and the power company has dramatically different rates based on time of use. I've found the "start" time in the charger settings, but there is no ability to set a window, or a different start/window time for weekends.

My JuiceBox charger that I use for my i3 allows setting of a window (e.g., 11pm - 7am) and different windows for week days and weekends.

Am I missing a setting somewhere, or has Tesla provided only the most basic control on charging?

You aren't missing anything. In practice I find that it doesn't matter. I set the start time to 23:00 to handle weekday charging, and set the limit such that charging doesn't run past 07:00. If I want to charge outside that window I override it manually, but that's rare.

It is odd that Tesla appears to be the only EV car manufacturer that does not offer this feature. Especially being so popular here in CA where TOU rates are the way to go with an EV.

Maybe Tesla assumes everyone will be installing 40A capable chargers so that the charging time won't ever bleed into the next day's high rates.

You are missing something. In practice I find practically all TOU plans are off peak, on weekends and holidays. Your Tesla will wait until midnight, etc, to begin, when you might want an immediate charge at these times. Say, for advertised power when state of charge is low, or when you need more miles than your wall current allows overnight.

This subject has been discussed dozens of time. The fundamental issue is that the charging program can't be set to automatically start charging based on the desired end time so that the battery is as warm as possible right before departure. All other EVs have this capability except Tesla.