TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Time of Use charging (TOU)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Boatguy, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

I'm in Northern California and the power company has dramatically different rates based on time of use. I've found the "start" time in the charger settings, but there is no ability to set a window, or a different start/window time for weekends.

My JuiceBox charger that I use for my i3 allows setting of a window (e.g., 11pm - 7am) and different windows for week days and weekends.

Am I missing a setting somewhere, or has Tesla provided only the most basic control on charging?

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

You aren't missing anything. In practice I find that it doesn't matter. I set the start time to 23:00 to handle weekday charging, and set the limit such that charging doesn't run past 07:00. If I want to charge outside that window I override it manually, but that's rare.

3. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

I set it to charge at 12:05 am every night and it will be done within 2-4 hours depending on the number of miles I drove that day. Off peak rates starts at 11pm on weekdays and 9pm I think on weekends so I just pick 12:05am so there is no question.

4. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

I have TOU, too, super off peak is between 10pm to 8am. Set my charge start time at 10:10pm, I never have the need to charge my MS for more than 10 hours.

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

It is odd that Tesla appears to be the only EV car manufacturer that does not offer this feature. Especially being so popular here in CA where TOU rates are the way to go with an EV.

Maybe Tesla assumes everyone will be installing 40A capable chargers so that the charging time won't ever bleed into the next day's high rates.

6. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

You are missing something. In practice I find practically all TOU plans are off peak, on weekends and holidays. Your Tesla will wait until midnight, etc, to begin, when you might want an immediate charge at these times. Say, for advertised power when state of charge is low, or when you need more miles than your wall current allows overnight.

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

This subject has been discussed dozens of time. The fundamental issue is that the charging program can't be set to automatically start charging based on the desired end time so that the battery is as warm as possible right before departure. All other EVs have this capability except Tesla.