Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use Power Shifting for Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish you could set a reserve percentage for each time period (peak, part peak, off peak) rather than just one value for all usage. My peak time doesn't use much energy but my off peak uses most of it. I wouldn't mind giving some of my battery to off peak to charge my EV's, even though off peak rates are the cheapest (although $0.125 is still not "cheap" compared to some places in the country).

Just got my 2 Powerwalls installed today. I'm not able to set them to the new TOU modes, only Backup or Self-powered. Anybody have any idea why that might be before I call Tesla tomorrow? The Powerwalls are on version 1.15.10 and my Android app is version 3.3.6, which according to Tesla's software update page, both seem to be post-TOU update. Thanks in advance!

Just got my 2 Powerwalls installed today. I'm not able to set them to the new TOU modes, only Backup or Self-powered. Anybody have any idea why that might be before I call Tesla tomorrow? The Powerwalls are on version 1.15.10 and my Android app is version 3.3.6, which according to Tesla's software update page, both seem to be post-TOU update. Thanks in advance!

It is a staggered rollout. You just have to wait for it. It's not tied to any specific firmware or app version beyond being on 1.15.x or higher and 3.3.6 or higher.

It might be worth using the "to Powerwall" numbers to calculate the cost of the electricity you used. The efficiency loss and vampire drain probably are non-trivial. Over the time I've had my Powerwalls (since mid-February), they've imported 427 kWh but only exported 328 kWh according to the gateway's statistics. Presumably 26 kWh went into charging them up initially, but that's still a significant shortfall.
I’m not seeing the terrible efficiency losses you are. Mine are within 90%. Is there a resistance heater inside the Powerwalls that might have to kick on in cold temperatures? I could see that causing some internal consumption that might throw the numbers off, but I can’t be sure.

I think it's because of vampire drain rather than efficiency losses. During the first 6 weeks I did not discharge very much. It's only after I got the TOU update that I started discharging more than 10% a day. As a result, a higher percentage of my losses are just due to loss of charge over time. My powerwalls are inside a garage, so the temperature should not have been an issue.

I think it's because of vampire drain rather than efficiency losses. During the first 6 weeks I did not discharge very much. It's only after I got the TOU update that I started discharging more than 10% a day. As a result, a higher percentage of my losses are just due to loss of charge over time. My powerwalls are inside a garage, so the temperature should not have been an issue.
Fair enough. It's something I'll definitely keep an eye on. I can't get lifetime stats because mine displays units in MWh (0.1 to Powerwall, 0.1 from Powerwall). But on the weekly graph, it's very close. So I may have the same vampire stats that you do, but they're hidden in the rounding.

Is there a way to force updates, or are you just stuck waiting like the cars? We recently turned our system on after it having sitting for months due to various issues with the install process. The power walls are showing version 1.9.2 and I am kind of surprised they haven’t updated yet having been up a week now. Tesla Energy and the Tesla app can both see the system, so I know it’s connected to the internet.

Is there a way to force updates, or are you just stuck waiting like the cars? We recently turned our system on after it having sitting for months due to various issues with the install process. The power walls are showing version 1.9.2 and I am kind of surprised they haven’t updated yet having been up a week now. Tesla Energy and the Tesla app can both see the system, so I know it’s connected to the internet.

There is no way to force updates. You are at Tesla's mercy for software and feature delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
You might want to consider ringing Tesla support; sometimes earlier firmware gets stuck trying to self-update; they can force an update from the back end if needed. If you don't call them, they might not notice or get around to it.

Thanks! I gave them a ring - had to be transferred around a bit to get to the Powerwall Team, but as soon as she got on the phone, she said - oh, yah, that is an old firmware version. They are going to push an update to me within the next 24 hours.

When we added a second Tesla, we decided to upgrade our solar output to cover the need for additional charging. We are on net metering with SCE in SoCal, meaning our Time of Use rate (TOU-D-A) varied from $0.12/KWH at night to A $0.48.KWH peak daytime rate in summer. So, we added panels and two Powerwalls. No two days are alike, of course, but yesterday gives a good summary of how the system works and shows its potential. Happy to try to answer any questions.

Hart Solar Powerwall.jpg

Powerwall Data 30JUL18.jpg

Thanks! We just got a new system installed that is 11.34kW but the max output I am seeing is 8kW. Our panels do get dusty, and I had wondered how much that affected output. It sounds like it can have a big effect based on your observations of 20% less output.
SoCal has very dirty air, of course, but I think (hope) that we have an unusually dirty few month here.
BTW: The Tesla app seems to be recording about 4-5% less than my solar system monitors.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
BTW: The Tesla app seems to be recording about 4-5% less than my solar system monitors.
Getting slightly off the thread topic but I would note that SolarEdge's version of the output from my array is about 3% more than the output from the inverter as measured by a meter on the cable. I think SolarEdge is reporting the output from the array into the inverter and the 3% is in the right range for my overall inverter losses (it's a 3680H). So check your inverter efficiency and make allowance for it put always operating at the optimum efficiency.

The Powerwall app uses the power measured by the CT on the inverter output. Also, PVOutput (if you use it - very useful IMO) gets the daily array output data from the SolarEdge server and also uses the instantaneous solar power from the Powerwall's data to adds to the overall confusion.