Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to pull the trigger and buy a Model S. Help me understand the pricing though please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't seem to wrap my head around what to do here, so I'm looking for advice. I originally started looking at used P100D's, which then turned into looking at used Model S Performances. I WAS looking at a 2019 or 2020 Model S Performance, because my requirements for a new ride are "it needs to be quicker than what I have now (Charger Hellcat), and it has to be AWD". All the low mileage Performance models I've seen (with or without FSD) are still 85-99K. Seeing that, I humored myself and went to Tesla's website and was able to create the perfect Black on Black Dual Motor Long Range with 21" wheels for 85,990.00 (No FDS and a 10-14 week lead time)

So, help reinforce my logic. I feel like buying a 2019 or 2020 Model S Performance comes down to paying the same to 10-15k more for getting 0-60 in the Mid 2's instead of 3.1 like the new Long Range Dual Motor does. I mean, is there ANY reason I should consider an older Tesla if the money is the same for a brand new, 0 mile, new-interior refresh Model S? Is the used market pricing just that ridiculous? Is the difference between 0-60 in 2.4 and 3.1 seconds mind blowing? Either way, I'm pushing forward with this and would love to hear someone else's thoughts.

Thanks

FYI - unless I am mistaken, FSD is not transferrable. So if you are looking for a used Tesla, unless you are buying it from Tesla, it doesn't matter if it had FSD. You would still be required to pay $10k to unlock it.

But I could be wrong on that. Worth factoring into your decision though.

All that said, to me, it always come down to how much you personally suffer from FOMO (fear of missing out). If you one who tends to get it and face buyer's remorse, by all means go for the performance. This is coming from a P100D who has that problem and I have not regretted my purchase. If you don't need the fastest quickest car out there (coming from a Hellcat vs a Demon lets say), then you may be perfectly satisfied with a brand new Long Range.

Below are specs for the 2021 MS Performance and the 2022 MS Long Range:

2021 MS Performance
Price before options = $93,190
Fully loaded = $111,690
0-60 = 2.3 sec
Top speed = 163 mph
Range = 334 to 387 miles, depending on wheels

2022 MS Long Range
Price before options = $81,190
Fully loaded = $100,190
0-60 = 3.1 sec
Top speed = 155 mph
Range = 375 to 412 miles, depending on wheels

Whether or not the Performance specs justified/justifies the price is, of course, up to you. If 3.1 seconds 0-60 is good enough, go with the new Long Range.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH
FSD is transferable. It’s just a bad rumor that never dies. It stays with the car.
Sometimes buying used tesla can/has disabled FSD to make the car more affordable, but, that doesn’t mean FSD isn’t transferable on third party sales

Thanks for clarifying...I think I was mixing it up in my head with the free lifetime supercharging. Which for most models does not stay with the car.

Honestly take the speed as a grain of salt when it comes to your purchase. Unless you're out racing your hellcat every second when you're driving it then you'll rarely need the performance 2.x second acceleration from a dig. The range is the important factor that I'd say most of the FOMO comes from instead of the performance. The new LR 0-60 speed is the same/faster than my 2015 P85D w/o ludicrous. Unless you NEED to show off with launch control you don't gain that much over the standard driving experience. 3.1 is plenty fast for 95% of the cars you'll cross paths with and if I was currently in the market to upgrade I wouldn't overlook the performance over a LR. Now if I was going for plaid that would be a diff story but even then range is a bigger factor for 90% of scenarios that I'd rather have over speed.

Honestly take the speed as a grain of salt when it comes to your purchase. Unless you're out racing your hellcat every second when you're driving it then you'll rarely need the performance 2.x second acceleration from a dig. The range is the important factor that I'd say most of the FOMO comes from instead of the performance. The new LR 0-60 speed is the same/faster than my 2015 P85D w/o ludicrous. Unless you NEED to show off with launch control you don't gain that much over the standard driving experience. 3.1 is plenty fast for 95% of the cars you'll cross paths with and if I was currently in the market to upgrade I wouldn't overlook the performance over a LR. Now if I was going for plaid that would be a diff story but even then range is a bigger factor for 90% of scenarios that I'd rather have over speed.
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. This brings up a great point too. I've watched all the Ludicrous+ launch videos and to me, and it's in the same vein as me wanting to race someone in my Hellcat and telling them "hold on, I need to put my slicks on real quick" (since the Hellcat can't hook for ****). Is it safe to assume that if I get a brand new LR, that 3.1 0-60 won't require me going into a special mode, waiting for the batteries to reach temp, and then waiting for Cheetah mode to engage? If it's just 3.1 from stop light to stop light whenever I drive it, I'm SOLD.

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. This brings up a great point too. I've watched all the Ludicrous+ launch videos and to me, and it's in the same vein as me wanting to race someone in my Hellcat and telling them "hold on, I need to put my slicks on real quick" (since the Hellcat can't hook for ****). Is it safe to assume that if I get a brand new LR, that 3.1 0-60 won't require me going into a special mode, waiting for the batteries to reach temp, and then waiting for Cheetah mode to engage? If it's just 3.1 from stop light to stop light whenever I drive it, I'm SOLD.
Correct, no wait

Get the refresh since you have a choice. You don't want a "new" old S now. The interior upgrade by itself is worth it over the old interior

3.1 seconds is as quick as you need for anything. Set for life. You'll be able to trounce basically any car. And any quicker is just stupid (but also worth it)

Reactions: Tigers
The LR I'm sure is plenty quick for most car buyers. But I can't imagine being the kind of person who previously had a Hellcat and then convinces himself that the Performance version isn't worth it. :) The Performance is substantially quicker. The cheetah mode and battery heating are only the icing on the cake when you go to the drag strip. A Performance model will still smoke an LR if you stomp it from a cold dig. Personally, as an even swap, I would not trade my Raven Performance for a new LR. I'll keep mine until my Plaid+ arrives.

The LR I'm sure is plenty quick for most car buyers. But I can't imagine being the kind of person who previously had a Hellcat and then convinces himself that the Performance version isn't worth it. :) The Performance is substantially quicker. The cheetah mode and battery heating are only the icing on the cake when you go to the drag strip. A Performance model will still smoke an LR if you stomp it from a cold dig. Personally, as an even swap, I would not trade my Raven Performance for a new LR. I'll keep mine until my Plaid+ arrives.
That's an interesting take. All the 2020 Performance models I've found are 90-99K, so my brain is fighting me on paying more for that car when I could get a 0 mile, completely refreshed interior (and I assume newer hardware) LR for less, and still have a decent shot at surprising people off the line. Decisions/Decisions....

Bang for the buck, for sure the new LR is the way to go. But for sheer performance, 2.4/2.3 is still quicker than 3.1. That's how Elon gets his premium profit margins. And that's why the Plaid+ will cost so much more. The fastest or the "best" will always command that non-linear upcharge. While 3.1sec is plenty fast enough 99% of the time, the true performance fanatic will always have that voice inside that says this is not the "best" or the quickest. So it depends on how much you need to have the "best".

Bang for the buck, for sure the new LR is the way to go. But for sheer performance, 2.4/2.3 is still quicker than 3.1. That's how Elon gets his premium profit margins. And that's why the Plaid+ will cost so much more. The fastest or the "best" will always command that non-linear upcharge. While 3.1sec is plenty fast enough 99% of the time, the true performance fanatic will always have that voice inside that says this is not the "best" or the quickest. So it depends on how much you need to have the "best".
I've spent WAY too long trying to build out high horsepower vehicles and now I'm at a point where I just want something cool, comfortable, and can at least hold it's own coming off a red light. The best I've ever gotten 0-60 in the Hellcat is 3.9 and I went and bought 11" wide rears to shove 315's on the back. It's useless from a dig and I'm done driving on Drag Radials every day. I did that for like 15 years. I think the LR will still put a smile on my face, and the electronics HAVE to be nicer than my Uconnect setup in the Dodge. Now I'm just sitting at checkout wondering if FSD is really worth the 10K. I assume I could always add it a couple of years from now if I get bored.

Now I'm just sitting at checkout wondering if FSD is really worth the 10K. I assume I could always add it a couple of years from now if I get bored.

Pros to buying it now:
- You can roll the cost of FSD into your car loan (assuming you are not paying full in cash)

If you wait, you never know what it will cost later, the price fluctuates often and can change just with an Elon tweet. It may be cheaper in the future, it may be more expensive.

Get the new LR, I have a 2021 LR+ and previous to that a 2014 P85. The performance cars dont bring much to the table other than straight speed. They don't have any handling benefits, or looks benefits either. A LR will easily go quick 0-60 than a hellcat, plus you will be getting the updated interior and exterior. Also those performance models need to be preheated and need a well prepped surface with good tires to see those 2.3s 0-60, otherwise youll be getting closer to a 2.8. At that point a LR is almost as fast.

Got my order in for a Black/Black LR with 21 inch wheels. Now comes the wait. THANK YOU for the input gang. Now to get the Hellcat ready for sale. Looking forward to the new ride!
Great choice! Ironically did a quick 80kmh pull against a hellcat on the way home today, kept up pretty closely even with 40% battery! The new LR will definitely fill your needs for go fast