Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timed charging....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a discussion at work, and what seemed like several recent UI updates. .
I just wanted to check with those in the know, there still isn't a simple way to make the car charge from 0030-0430 is there?
I can't see it.
I have it start at 0030 and add 35% whatever the battery is.
Just making sure I've not missed a trick.
Thanks

Nope, not directly in the car.

There are a couple of options/workarounds

You can schedule the start in the car and set up a simple iOS shortcut (Androd probably has the same) and schedule the stop time. You could do it the other way too (iOS to start the charge, car to stop it) but thats more complicated. (you can also use iOS to schedule the start and stop if you wanted to)

You may be able to schedule the charger, the Tesla v3 wall charger for instance allows you to set a window when it will provide power

You can use a 3rd party app, but in essence thats not much different to option 1

You can kind of do what you're suggesting, set a start time and then set the target state of charge to be about the right amount of % extra to stop around the time you want charging to end.

Personally, option 2 is the easiest if your charger allows, otherwise I'd go Option 1

After a discussion at work, and what seemed like several recent UI updates. .
I just wanted to check with those in the know, there still isn't a simple way to make the car charge from 0030-0430 is there?
I can't see it.
I have it start at 0030 and add 35% whatever the battery is.
Just making sure I've not missed a trick.
Thanks
Can't you just set off-peak charging on the scheduled departure screen, then it will aim to finish at 0430. Of cause if you need longer to reach your desired SOC it will start earlier than 0030 to complete the charge.

Reactions: MovingSouth
Thanks all.
Currently lost all log in details for the myenergi app/ zappi so it's become a dumb charger.
Using the car tech and adding 35 is no hardship and ensures I only spend 9p x 28 over 4 hours.
I'd just hoped Tesla had made it easier but no probs. I've stared at the app and the car UI. At least it's not me being thick!!

Can't you just set off-peak charging on the scheduled departure screen, then it will aim to finish at 0430. Of cause if you need longer to reach your desired SOC it will start earlier than 0030 to complete the charge.
Though that doesn't minimise the cost any more that starting at 00:30 and letting it overrun if necessary. It does have the benefit for the network of not usually starting exactly at 00:30, along with everyone else and contributing to the sudden peak in demand.

Thanks all.
Currently lost all log in details for the myenergi app/ zappi so it's become a dumb charger.
Using the car tech and adding 35 is no hardship and ensures I only spend 9p x 28 over 4 hours.
I'd just hoped Tesla had made it easier but no probs. I've stared at the app and the car UI. At least it's not me being thick!!
Since you have a Zappi, just set a scheduled boost in the Zappi itself for the same time every night and plug in or not

Not having app access won’t stop schedules working

Last edited:
or as alternative... you have LR/Performance, right? so ~70-80 kwh battery.

if it is a 7 kwh charger, it means that in 1 hr you will charge ~10% (9-10% give or take)

So if you are on 35%, and want to charge for 4 hrs, then schedule charging as normal and set max charge level +40% from current SOC, so ~75%

or as alternative... you have LR/Performance, right? so ~70-80 kwh battery.

if it is a 7 kwh charger, it means that in 1 hr you will charge ~10% (9-10% give or take)

So if you are on 35%, and want to charge for 4 hrs, then schedule charging as normal and set max charge level +40% from current SOC, so ~75%
Thats exactly what I do. Car set to start charging at 00:30 which in our home charger means 10% SoC per hour (2021 M3 LR). SoC limit normally set at 70% for daily driving but will reduce limit if SoC at start is below 30%. Our Andersen A2 allows schedule charging which is set for 00:30 to 04:30 as well.