Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timer charging restricted to 16A?

HenryT

Jan 29, 2020
Manchester
I have also been having the same problem with my Model S P85 (2014 model) since the start of 2021. It went in to Tesla but the situation was not resolved and they appear to be blaming the wall charger (a Rolec Wallpod), but I have never had a problem with it previously and if I force the charge to start then it charges at 32A with no problem.
I have done various tests on scheduling a charge at different times of the day. Curiously if the scheduled time is the same calendar day and less than 120 mins from when I connect the tether, then it charges at 32A but if the time is over two hours it always, or in the next calendar day, it charges at 16A.
I feel your pain @Dezthe.

Mine was never resolved, I just learned to live with it as we weren't doing much mileage anyway. In the event I replaced my car with a M3 which charges perfectly happily on a timed charge, using the same "faulty" WallBox charge point. Big surprise (not).

arg

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2012
Cambridge, UK
I was having possibly related problems (2014 S85, wouldn’t charge in winter due to bug whereby it switched off the supply if only running the battery heater and not yet charging; workaround by manually turning on the heat from the app).

Eventually this appeared to be fixed in a software update, though hard to be completely sure it wasn’t just warmer weather.

Sadly Tesla’s software QA seems to have got (even) worse in recent years.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC