Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint problem and seeking advises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had my Model 3 tinted with Xpel Prime XR 35%. I really liked the tint. However, the tint quality was really questionable for the rear window. I did it in one piece and knew it was a difficult job. This was done at a shop in CT with very good Google reviews (4.5/5 from 62 reviews) and the owner claimed they had had done this for over 20 Model 3's.

As can be seen from the photos attached, there are some uneven cut of the film and many bubbles and air gaps next the to defroster lines. The shop initially said the bubbles would go away but asked me to go back for pressing down some bubbles after 2-3 days. A week later the bubbles were not changed, and after seeing the attached photos the shop decided to redo the tint. However, after taking the car to the shop today (the forth time in two weeks, and left it in the shop for all day with the redo appointment), I was told by the owner that this is normal quality expected for Model 3 rear window and they cannot redo it ("it is so difficult to do--we have the best tinter but how it will turn out really depends on luck").

They now offer me two options: 1) redo the tint in two pieces, and 2) take it as it is ("it is normal, you won't see the bubbles 2-3 feet away, you are setting your expectation too high").

For those who had their rear window tint done in one piece, could you comment on if the quality in the attached photos is expected? Any advises would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
20190727_140928~2.jpeg

20190727_141009~2.jpeg

20190727_140934~2.jpeg

20190727_140934~2.jpeg
20190727_140911~2.jpeg
20190727_151735~2.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks everyone! Yes, I am not sure I can trust the work any more for the redo. I may ask for a refund (likely a battle given the comment of "this is normal"). The harder question is then what? Find another installer to correct the problem (not sure anyone wants to touch a hard problem created by others), or live with the bubbles....:(

Reactions: SammichLover
I had issues with my tint job as well, the guy said he would redo and when he stripped the tint the defrost lines were damaged in multiple places. He retinted and when I would turn on the defrost half of the lines would not work. I luckily got him to strip the tint a 2nd time and refund the tint cost as well as glass replacement. The original tint did not look bad it was done in 2 pieces instead of 1 like I specifically asked for, in hindsight I would have kept the 2 piece job knowing everything I went thru to get it corrected. Tough call for you as the bubbles and trash caught behind the film is def unacceptable but stripping it might cause defrost damage. GL

• Helpful
Reactions: yxm3
The rear window in the 3 is indeed hard to reach, properly clean, and work out any bubbles there are. I've got a couple defects in mine, but I don't find the above close to acceptable. The crappy cut around the heater leads looks sketchy, too.

However yeah, I'd be worried about someone that did this job pulling that off. To redo or not. That they'd break a defrost line or something.

Did you happen to test the heater lines prior? You can do that on a cold day, in the shade/dark using a steaming bowl of water to create fog and then turning on the rear defrost. Just be very careful not to scald yourself or spill a bunch of water in the car. When it is cold enough outside you can just sit in the backseat of the car facing backwards and let it fog up from your breath, but unlikely that'll work in August.

• Helpful
Thanks so much for the discussions and information! The defroster lines are exactly what I worry about next if go for a redo. The installer said it should not be a problem since the tint is fresh and easy to take off. This is probably true but I don't know whether I can trust what they say now. I have had my Model 3 since last December, so I know the defroster lines work well so far, after going through the many snow days in the past New England winter.

That adds another dilemma to this situation, so I can:
1. suck it up and live with the bubbles
2. suck it up and live with the bubble, but demand a refund
3. ask the installer to remove the tint and refund (risk of defroster line damaging)
4. ask the installer to remove the tint and redo a 2-piece tint (risk of defroster line damaging)

BTW, does anyone have a picture of the 2-piece tint? How visible is the line between the pieces (I guess this also depends on the skill of the installer)?

Thanks!

1 piece. Hopefully you have an experienced installer in your area. That makes ALL the difference in a high-quality end result.
I've seen a quality splice job done in the area around the top of the defrost lines. It was indiscernible in all but the very closest inspection from the backseat. I however didn't even bother with that. Because I went with 70% on the rear, too, I just did up into the beginning of the factory tint. You simply can't see it from outside and you never notice it from the front seat inside, because it is above where the mirror views. Anyone that is relegated to the back seat I clearly don't care much about, so their opinion doesn't matter. ;)

• Helpful
I recently had my Model 3 tinted with Xpel Prime XR 35%. I really liked the tint. However, the tint quality was really questionable for the rear window. I did it in one piece and knew it was a difficult job. This was done at a shop in CT with very good Google reviews (4.5/5 from 62 reviews) and the owner claimed they had had done this for over 20 Model 3's.

As can be seen from the photos attached, there are some uneven cut of the film and many bubbles and air gaps next the to defroster lines. The shop initially said the bubbles would go away but asked me to go back for pressing down some bubbles after 2-3 days. A week later the bubbles were not changed, and after seeing the attached photos the shop decided to redo the tint. However, after taking the car to the shop today (the forth time in two weeks, and left it in the shop for all day with the redo appointment), I was told by the owner that this is normal quality expected for Model 3 rear window and they cannot redo it ("it is so difficult to do--we have the best tinter but how it will turn out really depends on luck").

They now offer me two options: 1) redo the tint in two pieces, and 2) take it as it is ("it is normal, you won't see the bubbles 2-3 feet away, you are setting your expectation too high").

For those who had their rear window tint done in one piece, could you comment on if the quality in the attached photos is expected? Any advises would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

We're sorry to hear about your experience and we completely agree that this is unacceptable. Please reach out to us at [email protected] with information on who your installer is, where you're located, and any other info you want to provide.

Is possible that you post a picture or your tint? Thanks!

I've seen a quality splice job done in the area around the top of the defrost lines. It was indiscernible in all but the very closest inspection from the backseat. I however didn't even bother with that. Because I went with 70% on the rear, too, I just did up into the beginning of the factory tint. You simply can't see it from outside and you never notice it from the front seat inside, because it is above where the mirror views. Anyone that is relegated to the back seat I clearly don't care much about, so their opinion doesn't matter. ;)