Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint voids window warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - I need some advice if you don't mind. Here's the story.

I took delivery a little over a week ago. Took note of any issues I wanted fixed and scheduled the service appointment. While I was waiting for the service, I took it in for tinting the 2 front windows, which I regret being so hasty in hindsight. After the tint job, I noticed the passenger window was not flush to the B pillar. I can't confirm if it came like that and I hadn't noticed, or if the tint installer caused it. So I added that issue to the service request. The driver side window actually sits flush to the B pillar. See attached picture.

20201007_204342.jpg

On service day, my TA immediately called out that tinting could void any warranty related to the specific part, but he said he would try to push for it. He agreed that it was kind of a weird rule and generally played good cop. Come today, I picked up the car and the TA said the techs refused to do anything about the window and that it meets standards. My hope is that it still forms a seal and water won't get in. I guess I can learn to live with it if it's the only cosmetic issue with the car. Kinda bummed out and kicking myself for doing any aftermarket work to it so soon. I really didn't think tinting would void the warranty on the window.

Should I try another SC? Talk to the same advisor again? Other?

The law states they have to prove the modification caused the issue to void warranty coverage - they can't just speculate, they are required by law to take it apart figure out the cause of the problem, then fix it - if the modification caused the problem, then they are allowed to persue you for reimbursement.

In spec or not, no idea about that.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and EVPM
I'd try another SC.

I had a Window that was pushing too HARD against the seal on top and that was causing the seal along the top of the door panel on the INSIDE to open. And let noise in. Took a long time to figure out and I fixed it myself. This was a Model X. Hardest part was taking the panel off. Adjusting was fairly easy. Not sure how the Model 3 adjusts though.

You want all Windows to sit properly flush. Might not be a problem today but might be tomorrow.

I'd try another SC.

It sounded like they didn't reject working on it because of tint though. I doubt tint folks did anything. Common mis adjustment and trivial to fix. A good body shop can take care of it probably cheap. Then hand Tesla the bill ;) on your next visit.

Reactions: EVPM
The law states they have to prove the modification caused the issue to void warranty coverage - they can't just speculate, they are required by law to take it apart figure out the cause of the problem, then fix it - if the modification caused the problem, then they are allowed to persue you for reimbursement.

In spec or not, no idea about that.

Appreciate the insight about the law. Is that a state law? Might be different in California vs Texas.
Not sure if you can tell in the picture but the glass seems to "bow" outward. The flushness tends to be worse in the middle compared to the top and bottom.

Appreciate the insight about the law. Is that a state law? Might be different in California vs Texas.
Not sure if you can tell in the picture but the glass seems to "bow" outward. The flushness tends to be worse in the middle compared to the top and bottom.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

I don’t believe they have to be responsible for your modifications either. Say they decide to replace the glass, they don’t have to redo the tint.

Should they? Probably. But that’s a different question.

I'd try another SC.

I had a Window that was pushing too HARD against the seal on top and that was causing the seal along the top of the door panel on the INSIDE to open. And let noise in. Took a long time to figure out and I fixed it myself. This was a Model X. Hardest part was taking the panel off. Adjusting was fairly easy. Not sure how the Model 3 adjusts though.

You want all Windows to sit properly flush. Might not be a problem today but might be tomorrow.

I'd try another SC.

It sounded like they didn't reject working on it because of tint though. I doubt tint folks did anything. Common mis adjustment and trivial to fix. A good body shop can take care of it probably cheap. Then hand Tesla the bill ;) on your next visit.

I'll ask the mobile service for their opinion. They moved 2 tasks to mobile service because parts were on order.

I had this issue on my MY. Right/front passenger window wasn’t flush. I had my windows tinted before I brought it in for service.

They didn’t bat an eye. Fixed it perfectly. Never heard a peep about the tint.

Pics showing it flush at the top, then bowed out as you go down. You can really see the difference in the second pic. I don’t have a pic of it fixed, but it’s flush top to bottom now.
05A63D77-5636-455B-A9B3-97D6C6E89A4E.jpeg
9A60262F-2A70-4CA3-8FD6-944A8BAED826.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
I had this issue on my MY. Right/front passenger window wasn’t flush. I had my windows tinted before I brought it in for service.

They didn’t bat an eye. Fixed it perfectly. Never heard a peep about the tint.

Pics showing it flush at the top, then bowed out as you go down. You can really see the difference in the second pic. I don’t have a pic of it fixed, but it’s flush top to bottom now.
View attachment 596405 View attachment 596406

Dude that's exactly like mine! Thanks for your pics.
Do you know what steps they took to fix it?

I picked up the car and the TA said the techs refused to do anything about the window and that it meets standards. My hope is that it still forms a seal and water won't get in. I guess I can learn to live with it if it's the only cosmetic issue with the car. Kinda bummed out and kicking myself for doing any aftermarket work to it so soon. I really didn't think tinting would void the warranty on the window.
Hang on. If they said the window is within spec, then the issue wasn't with the tinting--they just don't think it warrants repair.

Dude that's exactly like mine! Thanks for your pics.
Do you know what steps they took to fix it?

Do you get a “slap/rattle” when you close that door? I started to get that after a couple of weeks. I also had a few times where the window would roll itself down to the vent position after I closed the door. That’s what finally prompted me to mention it when I brought it in for service (I had Homelink installed while it was there, too).

From the Invoice:

Concern: Customer states: Front passenger window seems misaligned compared to the other windows. Window rattles when it closes it intermittently rolls down when door is closed Performed Medium Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment. Verified Proper Operation.

Correction: Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment - Medium

Here’s a pic of it fixed. The window is flush. No slap/rattle. And now less road noise coming from that door, too.

13D24F2D-431F-4476-A54D-81D74D343887.jpeg

Do you get a “slap/rattle” when you close that door? I started to get that after a couple of weeks. I also had a few times where the window would roll itself down to the vent position after I closed the door. That’s what finally prompted me to mention it when I brought it in for service (I had Homelink installed while it was there, too).

From the Invoice:

Concern: Customer states: Front passenger window seems misaligned compared to the other windows. Window rattles when it closes it intermittently rolls down when door is closed Performed Medium Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment. Verified Proper Operation.

Correction: Exterior Component/Panel/Glass Adjustment - Medium

Here’s a pic of it fixed. The window is flush. No slap/rattle. And now less road noise coming from that door, too.

View attachment 596479

I don't have any window failures as you described yet. Then again I've only had it for 10 days. Yours definitely warrants adjustment because of the intermittent rolling down of the glass. Thank you so much.

I don't have any window failures as you described yet. Then again I've only had it for 10 days. Yours definitely warrants adjustment because of the intermittent rolling down of the glass. Thank you so much.

I’ve had mine about two months now...the slap/rattle started after about a month or so, and the “auto-venting” (haha!!) after about 6 weeks.

The SC took care of it and now it’s perfect. Point is, tint should have nothing to do with it. The window is either aligned or it isn’t.

I used Pomona/Walnut SC btw. My wife and I have each taken our MY’s to them and we got great service. Loaner car without asking, delivered on time and fixed right.

brought my M3 in for issues with dog mode and other temp settings. Tesla now want to charge $460 to fix a problem with the windshield temp sensor. They stated "We also noticed the windshield was tinted. So there's a possibility that the damage to the sensor was outside influence."