Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinted Windows - NY State

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my CPO a couple of weeks ago and I am on the fence about tinting my Windows. NY recently announced that all cars must allow 70% light through to pass inspection (see below link). My tint installer told me nothing is legal anymore since the Tesla windows factory just meet this requirement and any tint I put on it, will darken them to less than 70% light through. He did mention most mechanics won't care and pass you anyway, but he warned me that he can't guarantee me I won't have issues. I want to tint the windows for two reasons: heat reduction (I have black interior) and I've always felt aesthetically, it has looked sleeker.

1) Where do you bring your Tesla for state inspections? Can it be any state inspection shop? or does it have to be Tesla? If it's only Tesla, I am definitely not getting them tinted as I am sure they will play by the rules.

2) In the past, I've used 35% as I don't want something to dark and I've never had trouble from cops. I am not so much worried about being pulled over, more for inspections. I am considering going with 3M Crystalline.

Tinted windows - NY State Law

So I just got my CPO a couple of weeks ago and I am on the fence about tinting my Windows. NY recently announced that all cars must allow 70% light through to pass inspection (see below link). My tint installer told me nothing is legal anymore since the Tesla windows factory just meet this requirement and any tint I put on it, will darken them to less than 70% light through. He did mention most mechanics won't care and pass you anyway, but he warned me that he can't guarantee me I won't have issues. I want to tint the windows for two reasons: heat reduction (I have black interior) and I've always felt aesthetically, it has looked sleeker.

1) Where do you bring your Tesla for state inspections? Can it be any state inspection shop? or does it have to be Tesla? If it's only Tesla, I am definitely not getting them tinted as I am sure they will play by the rules.

2) In the past, I've used 35% as I don't want something to dark and I've never had trouble from cops. I am not so much worried about being pulled over, more for inspections. I am considering going with 3M Crystalline.

Tinted windows - NY State Law

I would not take the chance.

A Tesla driver I spoke to the last time my car was in told me that he was expecting that inspection locations would soon have to document tint the way emissions are documented. In other words, new equipment that can't be tampered with may be on the horizon for the inspection shops. (This was all just his personal opinion...not Tesla opinion.)

The Mt Kisco service center is not a NYS authorized inspection facility. They take new cars to a local shop for inspections. I'm not sure about the other Tesla SCs in NYS.

You can take your Tesla to any inspection shop, and you will pay less because it doesn't require the emissions testing. Just bring the instructions for how to put the car on a lift, etc. You also may want to check with where you plan to take it first, to make sure they are comfortable with it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mbhforum