Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting front windshield: 50% or 70%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 50% ceramic on my front windshield and I think it is fantastic. At night its not terrible but I could definitely see why people would want 70% instead because my wife has 70% and its much easier to see at night. If you are going to tint your front windshield I don't know why you would go with anything other than ceramic to block the most heat possible.

The only downside I have noticed is that it messes with my Auto climate control. Where 72 used to be perfect for the interior now I have to dial it down at least 2 degrees cooler to get the same cabin temp because the sensor is not reading as warm. Bear in mind most of my driving is around 10-15 minutes so this is in the initial cooling of the cabin. When on longer drives, say an hour, you can really notice the benefit of the ceramic tint as you can set the auto climate control to 75 and it keeps the cabin nicely cooled because of the reduction in heat.

By law, all windscreens are shipped with full UV protection.
Heat rejection might be worth it I suppose.
Side windows don't ship with UV protection, so definitely a good tinting product is worth it.

Eh. Photosync 75’s main benefit on the windshields of now 2 Model S has been glare reduction. It also reduces heat based upon before and after readings, but the glare reduction is the most noticeable.

When it is really noticeable? When I don’t have it - e.g., during the rare occasions when I accept a loaner S. Not only do I feel like a goldfish in a very large bowl, but the glare is comparatively awful.

Tinting the pano (yes, a layer on top of the existing) has also been very helpful.

Latitude 31N.

Eh. Photosync 75’s main benefit on the windshields of now 2 Model S has been glare reduction. It also reduces heat based upon before and after readings, but the glare reduction is the most noticeable.

When it is really noticeable? When I don’t have it - e.g., during the rare occasions when I accept a loaner S. Not only do I feel like a goldfish in a very large bowl, but the glare is comparatively awful.

Tinting the pano (yes, a layer on top of the existing) has also been very helpful.

Latitude 31N.
Yes, it reduces glare by allowing only 75% of visible light to pass through.
https://www.allprowindowtinting.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/photosync_datasheet_072114.pdf

That reduction in visible light means that your reaction will be delayed by milliseconds in borderline low-light situations.
This slight increase in risk is why windscreen tinting is now illegal in the risk-averse, richer parts of the world.

Yes, it reduces glare by allowing only 75% of visible light to pass through.
https://www.allprowindowtinting.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/photosync_datasheet_072114.pdf

That reduction in visible light means that your reaction will be delayed by milliseconds in borderline low-light situations.
This slight increase in risk is why windscreen tinting is now illegal in the risk-averse, richer parts of the world.

Reaction *may* be delayed, not will be delayed. Reaction time has multiple inputs. As well, less glare = less eye fatigue = less impacted reaction time.

Further, the conclusion is not universal either. The primary reason enforcement occurs in rare instances in California*, for example, is because, according to the letter of the statute, you can't have *anything* on the windshield (paraphrasing here) blocking [the field of view]. No radar detectors, none of those windshield mount doodads, nor film (tint).

Otherwise an informative post.

* Not that the Golden State came to mind first as an example of a risk-averse, richer part of the world *polite cough* /s

By law, all windscreens are shipped with full UV protection.
Heat rejection might be worth it I suppose.
Side windows don't ship with UV protection, so definitely a good tinting product is worth it.

So I geeked out and bought a UV meter, and actually the OEM front windshield only blocks out about 90% of the UV. I spend enough time in the car that getting a layer of ceramic and taking the UV filter up to 99.9% is worth it for me.

Also for those wondering, the OEM "sun roof" on the model 3 was showing a 99% UV filter, so no need for tint there unless you want additional heat protection or want it darker. I got it tinted with an additional 50% and really like that it decreased the heat and made it darker.

So I geeked out and bought a UV meter, and actually the OEM front windshield only blocks out about 90% of the UV. I spend enough time in the car that getting a layer of ceramic and taking the UV filter up to 99.9% is worth it for me.

Also for those wondering, the OEM "sun roof" on the model 3 was showing a 99% UV filter, so no need for tint there unless you want additional heat protection or want it darker. I got it tinted with an additional 50% and really like that it decreased the heat and made it darker.
Wow I appreciate your dedication to science!
I’d love to know what the results are once the UV film is on.

Reaction *may* be delayed, not will be delayed. Reaction time has multiple inputs. As well, less glare = less eye fatigue = less impacted reaction time.

Further, the conclusion is not universal either. The primary reason enforcement occurs in rare instances in California*, for example, is because, according to the letter of the statute, you can't have *anything* on the windshield (paraphrasing here) blocking [the field of view]. No radar detectors, none of those windshield mount doodads, nor film (tint).

Otherwise an informative post.

* Not that the Golden State came to mind first as an example of a risk-averse, richer part of the world *polite cough* /s
May = Will
When aggregated across a population, which is the context in which laws are decided.
And the rich, risk-averse place I was referring to was my own beloved nanny-state, Australia :)

Last edited:

There is definitely SOME UV tint on the OEM side windows...they look clear from the outside but taking a picture with the door open will show the true blue hue of the UV tint. See below*

IMG_0309.JPG

I plan on having my car tinted next week with Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle 40% on the front and rear sides, rear (1-piece) as well as the sunroof. For the windshield I'm doing FormulaOne Stratos 70% as a higher end option to AIR80 they offer.

Attachments

• Llumar FormulaOne Tint Specs.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ciditad
There is definitely SOME UV tint on the OEM side windows...they look clear from the outside but taking a picture with the door open will show the true blue hue of the UV tint. See below*

View attachment 334650

I plan on having my car tinted next week with Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle 40% on the front and rear sides, rear (1-piece) as well as the sunroof. For the windshield I'm doing FormulaOne Stratos 70% as a higher end option to AIR80 they offer.
You can't actually see UV tint (by definition), but some UV films also have tints (or impurities) that block visible light. The side windows are allowed to have even visible tinting, so most cars have a little, with the back side windows allowed to have 'privacy' glass, ie. strong tint.
Just go easy on the amount of visible light blocking on your windscreen, it really is hazardous in low light, a bit like wearing sunglasses at night (but not as extreme).

You can't actually see UV tint (by definition), but some UV films also have tints (or impurities) that block visible light. The side windows are allowed to have even visible tinting, so most cars have a little, with the back side windows allowed to have 'privacy' glass, ie. strong tint.
Just go easy on the amount of visible light blocking on your windscreen, it really is hazardous in low light, a bit like wearing sunglasses at night (but not as extreme).

You can't see UV light...you CAN see UV tint. Almost all automotive tint nowadays have SOME level UV protection built in.

Any tint in the 70-90% range is more than safe at night as it's essentially clear. And being that most of my driving is done during the day (like the majority of drivers) the trade off IF any is exceeded by the benifits of glare reduction and lessened eye strain. I would argue that wearing glasses or even using the sun shade would be much more of a hindrance than the tint film.

What are you guys doing about stuff like registration sticker and toll tags? Do you just put them directly on the tint film?
Buy vinyl cling paper from crafts store and apply stickers to vinyl before windshield. Easy removal.
I am having my windshield replaced and the new one is sitting on the stand. I am going to have it tinted before it goes onto the car. Does the tint need to be cut around the cameras at the top of the windshield?

Yes

I have 70% ceramic tint on my front windshield and it's been one of the best investments/mods I've done to my model 3.

The tint is virtually invisible and heat rejection from 99% of UV rays. I honestly think it's a must if you live in a hot climate state (I live in Southern California)