Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does tinting really help with saving battery life so my m3 sr+ doesn’t have to cool itself down as often?

Anyone who didn’t do tinting, do you feel like you’re baking inside? If this is more a cosmetic fix than practical, I want to save my money.
Tinting will not help save battery life to any meaningful degree.

Tinting will help reduce the heat you feel in the cabin depending on the film applied.

If you are looking to save money, do not make the mistake of tinting with cheap film.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I do not know about battery life, but a high quality ceramic tint will definitely cut down on the wear and tear placed on the AC system. Where I live, it routinely is above 100 degrees F during the summer. Once I had Xpel's Prime XR Plus window tint installed, I noticed that the AC kicked on less often in order to keep the cabin at 70 degrees.

Looking online, it appears there are theoretical arguments for it, and I'm aware that people have lowered energy bills with their home HVAC, after tinting or insulating windows, for example. The attached screenshot from Tesla shows the effect of HVAC, when controlling for everything else.

Personally, I think it largely depends on a number of factors (everything from how often your vehicle is in direct heat, to how long, and whether you're tinting all glass, or just what's legal), but even then, I wouldn't do it for the specific purpose of saving battery. Basically, I don't think the difference between reaching your destination and not, will hinder on window tint. If it did, it would be cheaper and easier to just drive slower, lol. Now a good tint does reduce cabin heat, but aesthetics and privacy are also main considerations for most.

Attachments

• With and without HVAC.PNG
    With and without HVAC.PNG
    124.9 KB · Views: 498
Here in north Texas, I enjoy a significant benefit from having tinted windows, including “clear” tint on the windshield. The car doesn’t get as hot in the summer and the AC needs to run less to keep it at the set point.

Will it extend the life of my battery? If you mean do I go farther on a charge, it probably makes some difference in the summer, but probably noticed as much difference as what speed I’m driving or how quickly I accelerate. It definitely makes me more comfortable, though.

Does tinting really help with saving battery life so my m3 sr+ doesn’t have to cool itself down as often?

Anyone who didn’t do tinting, do you feel like you’re baking inside? If this is more a cosmetic fix than practical, I want to save my money.

I am located east of you, Inland Empire where summer in full sun get 100-120 °F. Have a Model 3 and Model Y - there is a big difference in cabin heat without tinting, more so by not tinting the glass roof.

Leaving the car out in a parking lot during sunny months (March to October) can get the cabin hot upwards of 100 °F fast. You can let your cabin bake or activate cabin heat protection that use AC - meaning battery.

So, do you park out in the sun most of the time or in cool covered spot?

Does it get hot sunny enough in LA (for you) for considerable amount of time in a year?

You can always buy roof screen with/without the additional cover sheet (~$80) if you do not want to spend $200 to tint the roof with heat rejecting film.

For me, tinting the side windows and windshield is a must where I am at. For a year or so, I've used sun screen on my Model 3 glass roof - but tinted the roof the second summer I had the car. I am happy I did. So much so I did my Model Y right away.

I am sure it shaved some battery use/life - but I think the best bang for the buck was the increase in comfort during hot sunny days in Inland Empire. Well spent $600 for upgrade IMO.

20200512_171057.jpg
20200512_171311.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
I do not know about battery life, but a high quality ceramic tint will definitely cut down on the wear and tear placed on the AC system. Where I live, it routinely is above 100 degrees F during the summer. Once I had Xpel's Prime XR Plus window tint installed, I noticed that the AC kicked on less often in order to keep the cabin at 70 degrees.
Agreed. Xpel ceramic tint on all my cars Model 3's included. In hot south Florida summers my A/C never runs above fan speed 7 (AUTO).
As I always tell everyone, the steep angles/upward facing glass is very important for film. (windshield, roof, rear glass)

I could never own a vehicle without tint - even when I lived in Detroit.

Reactions: joebruin77