Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting Model Y Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I just thought it might look better. I've never seen one, but I was assuming a uniform band at the top would have a rather abrupt transition. Can you send a pic?
AEC7C7BE-DC42-4DAD-9241-BCC86F6623AC.jpeg
705E43FC-5AF6-4654-811C-E7D591098F6A.jpeg

Note: lower section is 40% tint. I don’t have a doctors note and it is illegal in my state. Having said that I don’t really care. It isn’t enforced and the one cop who might give me guff I will just pay the fine. I enjoy the cooler interior temps and not having people stare at me thru the front windshield like a fish bowl. The strip helps to hide the height of the windshield.

When I drive my Model Y I keep the driver's side sun visor flipped down all of the way and pushed forward towards the windshield. This covers pretty much the same area of the windshield as does the top strip in the photo.

Thanks for the pics! I've been watching videos lately of how to install these strips and it looks pretty easy. I think I will give it a try. I found one very interesting clip showing how to cut the bottom to match the top curve of the windshield so the strip is a constant height from left to right, which has a little different look. I may give that a try.

Does anyone know what the new 2021 Model Y roof tint is in % from the factory? It is darker but does a very poor job of heat rejection. I'm considering adding xpel heat film to the roof to help. We added 30%tint xpel to the front side windows after my grandson touched the glass and burnt his finger. It matches the back now for tint.

Another complaint I have with all Tesla Cabin Overheat protection- Why do I need to reset it every day for it to work. I wish Tesla would give us a setting that we can keep it on all the time or keep the default 12 hour. My problem is I may not use the car for a couple days and it overheats unless I go out and reset the CO timer.

Thanks! That 5% is obviously not ceramic. I just went out and measured the temp on the roof top outside. 126° inside it was actually hotter at 127.5°. This is on an overcast day with air temps of 90° I'm going to get a quote on having the roof done.

I also measured the front side windows. outside was 116° inside was 102° so that xpel is working as claimed. It is the double glass too

Thanks for the tip on just using the remote.

Have you added a tint to the windshield? The glass roof is made of laminated glass, the tint is part of the plastic middle layer. For $50 a roof sun shade with the mesh fabric can help reduce the intensity of the sun as felt on your head while driving. Some claim ~15 degree temperature reduction. Some of the sun shades now come with a second reflective cover that you can install over the mesh. The reflective layer will totally block the sun.

Thanks! That 5% is obviously not ceramic. I just went out and measured the temp on the roof top outside. 126° inside it was actually hotter at 127.5°. This is on an overcast day with air temps of 90° I'm going to get a quote on having the roof done.

I also measured the front side windows. outside was 116° inside was 102° so that xpel is working as claimed. It is the double glass too

Tinting the roof even 20% helps dramatically. I will post some pics with 20%. I decided not to go 5% as I didn’t want it blacked out.
43B4F027-EF03-4137-A944-B485B882FC98.jpeg
BEB241F7-43D1-4878-B881-92574554296A.jpeg

Have you added a tint to the windshield? The glass roof is made of laminated glass, the tint is part of the plastic middle layer. For $50 a roof sun shade with the mesh fabric can help reduce the intensity of the sun as felt on your head while driving. Some claim ~15 degree temperature reduction. Some of the sun shades now come with a second reflective cover that you can install over the mesh. The reflective layer will totally block the sun.
We use a reflector board in the windshield. I have reflectors for the roof and rear hatch back for my Model S but they are too much a PIA to install and take down. I decided not to spend ( waste) the money on those for my wife's M Y as she would probably never use them. I will say they worked on the S but the Xpel film is worth the money for the convenience and efficacy.

Reactions: Schulz1983

I went with Xpel XR+ on all glass. 35% on front & back windows. 70% on windshield, roof, & rear hatch. Windshield & roof are the difference maker.

Reactions: Deutsch100
You should be able to reset the 12 hour timer by remotely unlocking, locking the doors.
Testing:
Seemed to work on the M S right away. The Model Y failed and continued to go up to 117°. I opened the door and checked the screen to be sure I had activated Cabin Overheat with A/C and It was on but not working. Finally after 20 minutes at 117° they Y came on and the temp dropped quickly to 100°. Then held at that for another 30 minutes. Don't know why the door unlock and lock with the remote app appeared to have failed but I'll do another couple tests later in the week to verify.

Reactions: rjpjnk
70% made no visible difference that you'll be able to discern from pics. That's the whole idea behind 70%, reject the heat but provide no discernible difference on visible light.
That's what I figured. I have 30% on the S roof and it is darker but I don't care since I can't see up and out from the driver's seat and we rarely have anyone in the back. My wife wants something more like what you did because she hauls the grandkids all the time. I'm waiting to schedule the Y with our local XPEL installer.

I did 3M ceramic high performance tint on my new Model Y.

I did the side windows, pano glass roof and front windscreen. Side windows 30%, windscreen 70% and 20% on the glass roof. BEST decision ever. I drove it 2 days w/o tinting and the heat coming in from the glass roof and windscreen was boiling hot. Now, it is cool, darker (but still plenty of light) and the A/C works even better!

Tinting the roof and windshield are IMO the most important. Of course I like the look of the darker side glass, but having no heat come in from the roof and windshield is heaven!!

Reactions: jcanoe