Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting rear window causing very loud noises?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a full PPF + ceramic and tint done at a local installer. I was very excited to pick up the car, but unfortunately it's now making very loud sounds in the following scenarios:

Unlocking the car and opening any door.
Opening the truck.
Putting the car into park.

Here's some video links to illustrate:

I had all side windows and the rear window tinted. I started to suspect that in the process of the rear window tint, moisture got into the electronics. I took the car to my local service center, who noticed the rear hatch speaker looking like this:

HJu2iAg+TqmSADbkqLePqg.jpg

The car is now at the service center awaiting further diagnostics, but the tech that looked at it stated that if the damage was caused by the tinting, the repair costs will be out-of-pocket.

I've communicated all of this to the shop who worked on my car, and the owner has stated that they will take care of whatever needs to be done to get this resolved. I am worried that there may be damage done to the car's electronics that may not be apparent yet, but might cause a malfunction later. I'm also worried that Tesla may say that my warranty has been voided. I don't want to share information about the vendor until all is said and done, but I did want to get advice on how best to proceed.

I’d guess they removed some trim to get better access and didn’t put it back correctly, so it’s preventing the hatch from closing correctly. That blue plastic trim clip clearly didn’t get seated correctly. Hope it’s that simple...

The hatch still opens and closes. The trim clip not being seated correctly is not in and of itself a big deal, but all signs point to real damage to my car's electronics. If you watch the videos, you'll clearly hear very loud, electronic noises when the car is unlocked, when a door is opened, when the trunk is opened, or when the car is put into park.

Gotta admit, I lol'd when I heard that noise. Hilarious.

Sounds like you've got the best case scenario. Tesla is on the case and the tint shop owner has already accepted responsibility and told you they'll make it right. Good on all parties involved. As for you, I'd stop worrying quite so much. There's only so much "electronics damage" window tint could possibly cause, and Tesla can't void your warranty for something like this, because warranties and the law don't work like that.

Hope it's resolved quickly, because I'm going to be laughing every time I hear that noise until I know it's fixed. ;)

I know the sound is startling., but it very realistically could be the actuator motor working against a stop. Or some tint material jamming a window motor?

Or an elaborate prank involving an air pump and a whoopee cushion ?

Be interesting to hear what Tesla says

The hatch still opens and closes. The trim clip not being seated correctly is not in and of itself a big deal, but all signs point to real damage to my car's electronics. If you watch the videos, you'll clearly hear very loud, electronic noises when the car is unlocked, when a door is opened, when the trunk is opened, or when the car is put into park.

If it only makes the noise during those 4 instances and not when playing any other source like radio, streaming, navigation then the audio file (or firmware) Tesla uses is corrupt and no way the tint shop caused it.

Another thing, do you have Unlock on Park enabled or disabled? Switch it and see if that changes the noise.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sensorybanana
Update: after spending half a week at my local Tesla Service Center, the mystery has been solved. They suspect the tint shop swapped the rear hatch speaker wire with the lock wire. This explanation would be consistent with what I've been experiencing.

I have a good relationship with my service advisor, so he was nice enough not to charge me for the fix!

Reactions: rjscoder