Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting the window on your Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got 30% all around. Honestly could have been a bit darker but I didn't want to deal with the hassle in case I got pulled over. It’s dark enough and when it’s overcast or at night it looks pretty dark. I love it. Felt like a fish bowl before. I don’t have a pic of the back but they did it it one piece and it looks very flush.
0AE199C5-A134-4845-A38C-9CB95A5F940F.jpeg

30% on the windows. I left the back window as it was, untinted. I was concerned that the roof would be too dark. Didn't know it I would like it and I could always get it tinted if I needed. So far, not one person has asked or noticed that the sides are tinted and the back window is not. Saved $200 by excluding the back/roof.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I just got 30% all around. Honestly could have been a bit darker but I didn't want to deal with the hassle in case I got pulled over. It’s dark enough and when it’s overcast or at night it looks pretty dark. I love it. Felt like a fish bowl before. I don’t have a pic of the back but they did it it one piece and it looks very flush. View attachment 651957
Looks awesome. Exact look I’m going for on my white M3. So you tinted a portion of the back window too? Blended in nicely with the factory tint?

30% on the windows. I left the back window as it was, untinted. I was concerned that the roof would be too dark. Didn't know it I would like it and I could always get it tinted if I needed. So far, not one person has asked or noticed that the sides are tinted and the back window is not. Saved $200 by excluding the back/roof.
Good info! Thanks for sharing.

There are already a TON of threads about tinting your windows. The easiest way to find them to do a search in this forum for "tint" in Titles Only. Click the link below to see.

Or you could have just answered the question just as easy... OP, I went 30% all around as well and its perfect IMHO. If you get the rear window done make sure they do it in 1 piece and not 2, it will look better albeit a little more expensive usually.

Or you could have just answered the question just as easy... OP, I went 30% all around as well and its perfect IMHO. If you get the rear window done make sure they do it in 1 piece and not 2, it will look better albeit a little more expensive usually.
But I DID answer the question with FAR more information than anyone could have posted: I gave them a link to easily read up on a lot of ideas and opinions. I actually took the time to provide assistance, not only to the information requested, but also to let them know that they this new individual could search these forums for useful information.

But hey, you downvoted my post, so you really showed me!

Reactions: cylonmode
I was thinking of leaving the rear window untinted too, but it'd look too weird, plus a fair amount of heat would still get into the car, where the A/C is marginal at best. Another HUGE source of heat is the immense front window. I'll reluctantly have to tint it too, with the lightest possible shade (80%, I think), and all tint the highest heat-rejection available, which the shop I called says it's Lumar IRX (is that true?). But it'd be like $850, and 2/3rds of that the front and rear glasses alone. All side windows would be $335 'only'. How much are you guys paying?

I was thinking of leaving the rear window untinted too, but it'd look too weird, plus a fair amount of heat would still get into the car, where the A/C is marginal at best. Another HUGE source of heat is the immense front window. I'll reluctantly have to tint it too, with the lightest possible shade (80%, I think), and all tint the highest heat-rejection available, which the shop I called says it's Lumar IRX (is that true?). But it'd be like $850, and 2/3rds of that the front and rear glasses alone. All side windows would be $335 'only'. How much are you guys paying?

I paid $450 for 30% sides/back (1 piece) and 80% front... Ceramic, I forgot what brand it was.

I sent a inquiry to a local shop yesterday, this is what I got back from them......(Thank you for inquiring, but we do not tint those vehicle because of the potential of the rear window to crack and or have the defrost lines to become damaged)

Shops are so afraid of these cars.

I sent a inquiry to a local shop yesterday, this is what I got back from them......(Thank you for inquiring, but we do not tint those vehicle because of the potential of the rear window to crack and or have the defrost lines to become damaged)

Shops are so afraid of these cars.
Wow never heard of that. Interesting. Yeah j think I’m just going to do all the side windows to start. Can always go back to tint the back.

Like 510storm, I did 30% on all the glass (except windshield), including the roof glass in one piece. It looks great and isn’t too dark looking out the back at night. Helps with cooling as well. Luminar IRX.
At night with the dimming side mirrors, can you make out other cars? On an un-tinted window I feel the dim is pretty aggressive already, I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to see much (although the AP cameras can, I guess).

I just paid $450 for 35% on sides/proper one piece back window.
0.jpg