Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tip for not screwing yourself over with Progressive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well something had to go wrong on this transition from a Model 3 to a Model Y...

I sold my Model 3 and was about a week without a VIN and my insurance was coming due. I wanted to keep the continuous coverage discount so I contacted Progressive and told them my car was sold but could I still remain insured and within about a week I would have a VIN for my new car. They told me they could switch the policy so I was insured but there wasn't a vehicle associated with it. Great, fantastic, I see the new amount show up in my account and hit "pay".

Well, turns out that started monthly payments instead of my normal "pay in full" which I do for the discount. I didn't think anything of it because I knew I would be changing the policy again within a few days and would pay the full amount then. Well fast forward to a VIN and updated the policy... I can't "pay in full" because it's not a renewal or new policy, it's an UPDATE to the policy. Are you Fing kidding me?! Screwed out of about $60 discount or so.

Wonderful Progressive... so glad there isn't "anything we can do for you" when I want to PAY YOU ALL upfront. If they weren't the cheapest this would have caused me to jump ship.

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7
uhh why didn't you just pay the bill, then once you got a Model Y, call them and exchange VIN's ? "I sold my 3, here's the VIN for my Y" then they would have made an adjustment to your account if needed.

you just made your life more difficult.

I thought I was “doing the right thing” since the car had legally been reported as sold and was no longer in my possession. It would have only been for about five days, and honestly I wouldn’t have given a crap about paying for coverage on a vehicle I didn’t have for that time (since it would save me in the long run), but I thought I should report the sale to my insurance since my licensing body had been updated on the sale...

Lesson learned; next time around I’ll just hit “pay” on a renewal if this ever comes up again, I’ll wait for THEM to figure something out and come ask what’s up...

uhh why didn't you just pay the bill, then once you got a Model Y, call them and exchange VIN's ? "I sold my 3, here's the VIN for my Y" then they would have made an adjustment to your account if needed.

you just made your life more difficult.
I'm also with Progressive and that's what I did. For some unknown reason I am saving over $300 a year with the MY over the M3 for the exact same coverage. Sweet. It will pay for my homelink.

It is true that a State Farm agent would sort your issue out for you. But I found that paying my agent $500-$1000 a year to occasionally do a bit of helpful clerical work was not worth it.

I prefer Progressive, but I think "nothing fancy" is the best way to deal with customer service reps who must fit what they do into a predefined procedure/script.