Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tips for new Tesla owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might help Model 3 buyers, but it does nothing for Model S and X buyers.

Washington does have no sales tax on batteries for EVs and equipment that will improve EV infrastructure.
Incentive Programs: Deferrals, Exemptions, and Credits

I wish Tesla would sell me the battery for my Model S separately. That would save me around $1000 in sales tax.

Why wouldn't it help S or X buyers? It wouldn't eliminate their sales tax, but would reduce it wouldn't it?

Right now there is no sales tax exemption if the car is worth more than $35K. I haven't seen a proposal that would give any sales tax exemption for Model S or X sales, they all have maximum MSRP caps that are way below the Model S and X base prices.

@setheryb & @wdolson
the revised tax exempt law was signed by Gov Inslee for the car segment between $35k-$42,500 April 18, 2016 (to begin July 2016).
Originally WA permitted any EV/Alt fuel vehicle to qualify to be tax exempt. Then (in 2015?) it was reduced to only allow cars up to $35,000. Lawmakers made this change specifically to exclude the luxury car buyers from the tax exemption.
The Puget Sound area EV community rallied to get the law revised to give cars up to $42,500 (in order to include both the Model 3 and the BMW). The consolation was cars between $35k-$42,500 only have the first $32k tax free. It is HIGHLY unlikely it will be reversed any further to include the higher priced luxury car buyers.
Also, the law will be phased out after a specific number of car buyers receive the credit (don't recall the exact), but it is estimated it will go until about mid 2019.

The increasing problem with this forum is that there is too much excitement and not enough info.

It seems like there's at least one new thread for every active person here, instead of one or two threads per TOPIC which is how it should be. It wasn't so bad at first but now most of the threads are pointless and filled with previously answered or unanswerable questions. I'm glad you're excited but I've run in to most of the answers you're looking for by accident.

Since the 3 isn't even out yet, the model S/X owners are the experts on non-3 specific questions anyway so you should read those sections as well.

I can't wait until tesla really starts releasing more facts. Hopefully then this will become less of a BS factory and more of a place of meaningful discussion.

The increasing problem with this forum is that there is too much excitement and not enough info.

It seems like there's at least one new thread for every active person here, instead of one or two threads per TOPIC which is how it should be. It wasn't so bad at first but now most of the threads are pointless and filled with previously answered or unanswerable questions. I'm glad you're excited but I've run in to most of the answers you're looking for by accident.

Since the 3 isn't even out yet, the model S/X owners are the experts on non-3 specific questions anyway so you should read those sections as well.

I can't wait until tesla really starts releasing more facts. Hopefully then this will become less of a BS factory and more of a place of meaningful discussion.

It will just become a wall of threads all covering the same thing. Need proof? Next time Elon even remotely mentions the 3 on Twitter, check in on here....you'll see 5 different people, all with < 50 posts, all posting in all caps and exclamation points!

Reactions: Tiberius
It will just become a wall of threads all covering the same thing. Need proof? Next time Elon even remotely mentions the 3 on Twitter, check in on here....you'll see 5 different people, all with < 50 posts, all posting in all caps and exclamation points!

Excellent point... Maybe I should move my expectations back to 1-2 years after release.

It's funny how different forums can be based on the topics. My first forum was for off-roading. Everyone poking fun at each other and awesome write-ups, tips, etc. It was perfect.

Mustang forums are full of scumbags, Kawasaki forums were pretty fun, Ducati forums are full of people who love the bikes but are clueless when it comes to wrenching, Lexus forums were young and douchey (as expected) with awful mods.... etc.

Here it's 90% yuppies with diarhea of the mouth lol. At least advertising isn't out of control but here's hoping it gets better in time.

Excellent point... Maybe I should move my expectations back to 1-2 years after release.

It's funny how different forums can be based on the topics. My first forum was for off-roading. Everyone poking fun at each other and awesome write-ups, tips, etc. It was perfect.

Mustang forums are full of scumbags, Kawasaki forums were pretty fun, Ducati forums are full of people who love the bikes but are clueless when it comes to wrenching, Lexus forums were young and douchey (as expected) with awful mods.... etc.

Here it's 90% yuppies with diarhea of the mouth lol. At least advertising isn't out of control but here's hoping it gets better in time.

Well, I can't get too mad at "yuppies"...I suppose technically I am one.

I'm also in an Audi forum right now (as that is what I am currently driving), and it's a different tone. Mostly because everyone knows the lineup and specs, and we're not guessing about anything.

but here, everyone wants to be the first one to break the news....except most of us get twitter alerts, track the stock, etc etc. so by the time I log in here, I'm just coming to see the reactions, the only "new" information I've been getting off the boards here is a lot of the tips and tricks from S/X owners.

...Here it's 90% yuppies with diarhea of the mouth lol. At least advertising isn't out of control but here's hoping it gets better in time.
Hmm. I guess I must be part of the other 10%:
Young? Nope.
Urban? Hardly. My entire mountain county has a population of 4500 and the nearest freeway is 100 miles away.
Professional? Not unless you consider "early retirement" a profession.

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I remember the days of getting a new ICE car, people kept the rev's below a minimum.

Is there a "break in" period for an EV?

An ICE is a much more complex mechanism than an EV. With an ICE there are many moving parts that need to get fully lubricated with oil as it circulates around and the moving parts need to fully mesh with one another.

When my SO got her 2013 Subaru Impreza, I noted the break in instructions were not as extensive as I've seen before. With today's stricter tolerances in car manufacturing, the parts settle in more easily with less slop than they used to.

I wouldn't expect there to be as much break in for an EV.