Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tips for window regulator repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV-Fixme

Former Vendor
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2019
Orange County, CA
Here's a couple mistakes I made trying to remove the windows so I'll share and you don't have to make it.

First there is the nut on the front attachment point. Shown in the pic below, never take that nut off. loosen it and your window will come up, the nut grips the rubber onto the window.
95CD24B1-5E00-46A6-9FB3-5F61C71E3D7C.jpeg
Second the rear attachment point is released buy gently pressing the button with a screw driver.
913337EA-DFD9-41F2-9561-9DAFFDA0CA69.jpeg
This is the side you push, where I have shown the screwdriver.
8D30F45D-D033-4550-A580-419FB40DF0F9.jpeg
I'm also including a picture of the back side to more clearly show where the button is.

When placing the glass back in I like to support the plastic holder as I lock the window back on the tab. That should help prevent strain on the connector and it breaking the off the cable.

Here is a video for the regulator replacement that is not from me.

Last edited:
The other way around. The rear window attachment has the nut you loosen but don't remove. The front has the clip. At least that's what it is on the driver's front regulator that I replaced.

The driver's side rear door of my 2018 Model S has a nut on the attachment point for the front of the window, and the plastic clip on the attachment point for the rear of the window. So, Tesla must have reversed them on the front doors.

For everyone else reading this... Just remove your door panel, then the black plastic panel covering the large opening in the door, and you will be able to quickly determine what's at each end of the window. The key is to just loosen the nut a turn or two. Don't remove it.

I am having this same problem with my 2018 Tesla Model S and I came across the same information posted above. I also came across this company that sells the Regulator Ferrule that they've made out of metal instead of the plastic one that comes with the original regulator. They were saying that you might be able to just replace the ferrule and not have to take the whole regulator out and replace it because this one piece is almost always the thing that goes bad. I ordered it and I'm going to try it but thought I'd put this here in case others are searching for this fix. Window Regulator Ferrule | Gruber Motors

I am having this same problem with my 2018 Tesla Model S and I came across the same information posted above. I also came across this company that sells the Regulator Ferrule that they've made out of metal instead of the plastic one that comes with the original regulator. They were saying that you might be able to just replace the ferrule and not have to take the whole regulator out and replace it because this one piece is almost always the thing that goes bad. I ordered it and I'm going to try it but thought I'd put this here in case others are searching for this fix. Window Regulator Ferrule | Gruber Motors
It depends on what broke on your regulator. Sometimes the ferrule breaks, but in my case the plastic traveler car broke. That’s the piece where each cable end attaches. It rides up and down the rear track. You should be able to make a determination by removing the door panel and looking at the regulator with a flashlight.