TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tips on Garage 14-50 Installation

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by CHGolferJim, May 31, 2015.

1. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

I'm preparing the final touches in my garage prior to ordering a 70D in the next few months, and would appreciate any suggestions.

I have a 2-car garage within my house, storage/2 fridges/walkway in the left bay, and my car in the right bay. The breaker box is on the left interior wall. Prior to talking to the electrician, what are the trade-offs in putting a new 14-50 plug by the breaker box and using an extension cord vs. running conduit from the box to an outlet on the wall between the doors (and therefore right next to the back left of the Tesla)?

Thanks.

2. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Officially, Tesla says they don't support using extension cords. That said, many of us use them when needed - for example I carry extension cords with me for travel when I need to destination charge somewhere. That said, I would not use an extension cord as a permanent solution. I'm going to guess that a properly installed conduit with wiring will cost about the same as a well-built 50 Amp extension cord anyway. If I were you, I'd get the conduit run and not rely on an extension cord.

3. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Pgiralt, thanks for the post. I had that sense from readings here but couldn't find a clear recommendation, so appreciate your confirmation. Certainly a much neater solution, and a nice feature for home resale.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

For what it's worth, NEC forbids an extension cord for your application; section 110.3 requires you follow manufacturer's instruction (Tesla explicitly says "do not use an extension cord), section 400.8 (cords; uses not permitted) explicitly states that flexible cord may not be attached to building surfaces (400.8 (4)) or where subject to physical damage (400.8 (7)). As a result, you may fail inspection and/or experience potential liability and/or insurance implications if you choose that path and something happens.

See the FAQ (in my signature if you're using a web browser, or in the charging/north-america section of the forum if you're on Tapatalk) for more information.

5. pmoa

pmoa Member

I agree with the conduit. It looks nice and a better for resale value if you ever get to that point.

6. vvanders

vvanders Member

+1 on running conduit.

Check with your homeowner's insurance but many will not pay out if a fire or other issue were to happen if you aren't running things to code.

7. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Certainly would not take any short-cuts vs. code. Thanks to everyone for the solid input.

8. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

I suspected it was also against code but didn't want to say it without knowing for a fact. I knew FlasherZ would chime in. :)

9. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

I recommend doing something temporary first - with an extension cord. Just to see how you like it. I've changed solutions - outlets and locations - due to the difficulty in managing the cord. Ultimately the only "easy" solution is going to be wireless charging, but until then you'll want to experiment a lot with what you do with the cord.

A lot is said about "code" on this forum, but I bet every single one of us drives above the speed limit! Which is a lot more dangerous than using an extension cord with the right gauge wire. And don't forget - in the Model S you can lower the amp draw during charging.

10. richkae

richkae VIN587

Another tip is that some electricians will put the outlet in upside down for our application.
    You want the ground pin on top, and they will put it in with the ground pin on the bottom.

11. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Agreed. I thought I was getting ahead of the game by having the conduit and outlet installed before the car arrived. The location of the outlet looked great until the car arrived and I found I had to have the electrician come back and move the outlet.

12. spc

spc Member

here is what I have and it is very practical. I put a hook on the wall to the right of the plug where I hang the cord near the plug. Out of the way and it will reach the car even if I park on the other side.
    I hope this helps. I ran some 60ft of #6 cable from the main panel to be able to safely handle the 40Amps.
    wall_plug-300.jpg

13. FlasherZ

The primary difference here is that speed limits were also put into place to save fuel and generate revenue for states. The national electric code is purely about safety. Once in a while you get a provision that sneaks in because of a manufacturer's representative, but there is enough representation on the code-making panels that things usually clear up pretty quickly.

If you're going to jerry-rig, then no one's going to stop you; but don't encourage others to violate law. In some jurisdictions, violating the NEC is a misdemeanor compared to a simple speeding citation.

14. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Thanks! That's the plug and wire that come with the car? I will also paint the area Tesla red and add a sign with logo :cool:

15. smilepak

smilepak Member

Given the cord is 18 feet, that is a pretty clever location. I wonder how much would it cost for that location for the electrician?

16. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Here's my install which is similar. This is the HPWC, but I actually had a 14-50 in this location before I decided to switch to the HPWC. The install cost should not be much more.

IMG_7086.jpg

17. FlasherZ

I see you use the same loop-conforming strategy that I do... :)

18. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

This is a public forum. He asked for advice and I gave him mine. You gave him yours. Go have a coke and a smile, and relax.

19. FlasherZ

Publicly advocating breaking the law and putting someone's life in danger is a bit irresponsible. I've had my coke. Sorry you see a problem with me advocating safety. There's a reason the Code exists. Break it if you want, but don't tell others to put themselves in harm's way.

20. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

If I may ask, what is the black device on the wall above the HPWC?

Thanks,

Bruce.