Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire and efficiency (Wh/mi) - Aftermarket tire owners opinions wanted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my Model S scheduled to show up in a few weeks, and one of the first things I'm planning to do is swap out the all-seasons for performance summers. I've been looking at my options, trying to pick something that has a good mixture of performance and efficiency. I might stay on the 19"s, or move to 20"s, but since manufacturers don't really rate rolling resistance, I thought it would be interesting to see what members with aftermarket tires are getting for average Wh/mi.

Opinions from owners with stock tires are appreciated to help determine the typical variance, though I can probably get a pretty good idea what those are from old threads.

Further, this obviously varies quite a bit by driving style. My goal would be to try to avoid something like the Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position, which I'm told has extremely high rolling resistance, perhaps the highest in its class.

Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting topic for a thread. Maybe I get get an embedded Wiki so people can edit directly. If there's something similar that already exists let me know: a search didn't turn up anything. I'll have this one canned.

Some of the options worth considering are as follows, and I'll add any new ones that get posted. I'll be scouring old threads in an attempt to find more over the coming days. Probably would have been better to start this in the summer before weather was a factor, but general "this tire seems much worse" kind of conclusions may still be possible.

Stock 19" sizing:
Goodyear Eagle RS-A2 (stock)
257 (Thanks to jerry33)
~300-350 (Thanks to yobigd20)
312 (Thanks to JohnQ)
321 (Thanks to Liz G)​
Michelin Primacy MXM4 (stock)
260 (Thanks to jerry33)​
Continental ExtremeContact DW
Hankook Ventus V12
Pirelli PZero Runflats -
Not recommended
340 (Thanks to jerry33)​
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus - Requested by Al Sherman

Aftermarket 20" sizings:
Michelin Pilot Super Sports
255/40 front, 285/35 rear: 280 highway, 350 city/mixed (Thanks to gbdesai)​

Stock 21" sizing:
Continental ExtremeContact DW (stock)
330 (Thanks to jerry33)​

Aftermarket 21" sizings:
Hankook Ventus V12
245/35 front, 285/30 rear: 250-270 city, 350 lifetime (Thanks to gimp_dad)

Notes:

• TireRack Comparison - Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=174
Result summary: S-04s have 2-3% fuel economy hit compared to the other tires in the test. The PSS was within 1% of efficiency the leader, the Dunlop, while far exceeding it in performance.​

Also, two errors in the headline that can't be fixed... sigh.

Last edited:
I can give you three numbers for 19":

GY OEM -- 257 (13,500 miles)
Pirelli PZero runflat -- 340 (200 miles)
Michelin Primacy MXM4 -- 260 (400 miles)

And the loaner on 21" were 330 (100 miles)

The MXM4s hold the road far better than the GY. There are no "whoa" moments. The GYs sometimes felt as if they were skipping when turning (and not turning all that fast either).

The Pirellis were an emergency choice, the only tire Discount tire had in stock. I thought they would be sub-par and I wasn't disappointed.

29.6k miles on stock OEM GY 19s avg 351Wh/mi but I have a bit of a heavy foot as you can tell from my last trip. :). If I drove like a "normal person" that could probably be under 300. (I say this because when I'm stuck in traffic and I am forced to do the speed limit, I've seen it go below 300, lol)

uzaheje5.jpg

@jerry33 - What's your gut on the tread life of the GY OEM vs. the Michelin Primacy MXM4? If I'm reading it correctly there's a 45k mi warranty on the MXM4, which I find pretty compelling. Also, how was the ride roughness and volume of the MXM4 vs. the GY?

FP updated with experiences and requests. Thanks mnx, I didn't realize TireRack did that. I'll hunt through the site to see if there are any other applicable tests. With their more controlled tests, the results are interesting. Hopefully they've done comparisons that included some of the other tires here.

Gizmo--

Just a note on the first post; Jerry indicated 257 on the Goodyears, you've got 340 up there (same as Pirelli run flats).

I've been getting 312 on the Goodyear RSA2 with a fair amount of start/stop and long highway driving at 75-80mph.

Consumer reports also rates rolling resistance. In terms of UHP Summer Tires, they give 4 models a "Very Good" rating. In no particular order: Conti DW (no wonder Tesla selected it for the 21"), Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 (closest to stock is 255/40/R19), Nokian zLine (closest to stock is 255/40/R19) and Hankook Ventus V12 evo. Interestingly enough Tirerack has the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT beating out the Hankook Ventus by 0.74% although that is a >1 year old test.

Gizmo--Just a note on the first post; Jerry indicated 257 on the Goodyears, you've got 340 up there (same as Pirelli run flats). I've been getting 312 on the Goodyear RSA2 with a fair amount of start/stop and long highway driving at 75-80mph.
Thanks, fixed. That's one reason this would work better as a wiki. :redface:

Consumer reports also rates rolling resistance. In terms of UHP Summer Tires, they give 4 models a "Very Good" rating. In no particular order: Conti DW (no wonder Tesla selected it for the 21"), Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 (closest to stock is 255/40/R19), Nokian zLine (closest to stock is 255/40/R19) and Hankook Ventus V12 evo. Interestingly enough Tirerack has the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT beating out the Hankook Ventus by 0.74% although that is a >1 year old test.
That's great. Didn't know that, either. I'll probably join to take a closer look at their results and see what tires they've tried.

What's your gut on the tread life of the GY OEM vs. the Michelin Primacy MXM4? If I'm reading it correctly there's a 45k mi warranty on the MXM4, which I find pretty compelling. Also, how was the ride roughness and volume of the MXM4 vs. the GY?

I don't think there's much difference in the tread life. Around here tires never make it to the end of the tread life anyway. I've never had as many flats as I've had here in DFW, so road hazard is more important than tread wear warranty. Ride isn't much different. What's different is that the MXM4s don't skip when turning, they stay planted. The other difference is the price. The GYs are cheap.

@jerry33, @LizG
I'm still having trouble wrapping around the idea of a Tesla Model S getting 5 digit miles on a single set of tires. "21 life" is very different.

Yes. Precisely why I didn't get 21" tires. If there was a 18" I get that, If there was a 17" I'd get that in preference to the 18". Generally, the larger the wheel diameter, the more money the tire company makes.