Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Changes at what miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
S60 RWD here. I get about 27k miles on Goodyear RS/A2 tires. I'm about to put my third set on the car. However, I drive steep mountain hairpin curves every time I leave home and live on a gravel road. Ordinary city or freeway driving is way easier on tires than mountain twisties, although a lot less fun! As with some others above, my rear tires wear way faster than the fronts so I rotate them regularly.

I've thought about different tires than the Goodyears but the others usually mentioned at TMC are so much more expensive that even if they did last longer it wouldn't be cost-effective. The Goodyears handle my mountain curves quite well but are a bit noisy. I bought a new set of wheels for the latest set of new tires and plan to put the snow tires on the old wheels. That way I can do all my tire switching at home. I also got rid of the original acorn lug nuts and switched to the new style nuts with caps that Tesla uses now, which are way easier to work with.

my 2¢.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
I've thought about different tires than the Goodyears but the others usually mentioned at TMC are so much more expensive that even if they did last longer it wouldn't be cost-effective. The Goodyears handle my mountain curves quite well but are a bit noisy.

my 2¢.

The Goodyear are about 30% less expensive so if the Micheline last 45k miles the Goodyear can last only 32k to have the same cost per mile. But you are also paying more frequently for change of tires, balancing, disposal fee (at least here in CA).
But then, we should not not rate tires only by how long they last. Stopping distance should be high priority. All Teslas are heavy cars. They work tires down quicker.

The Goodyear are about 30% less expensive so if the Micheline last 45k miles the Goodyear can last only 32k to have the same cost per mile. But you are also paying more frequently for change of tires, balancing, disposal fee (at least here in CA).
But then, we should not not rate tires only by how long they last. Stopping distance should be high priority. All Teslas are heavy cars. They work tires down quicker.
The price difference was considerably more than 30% where I've been buying my tires and I have no way to know that I will get more mileage out of them -- the mileage others get is not applicable to my driving situation. I'll have to try it and see for myself sometime and haven't been willing to do the experiment yet.

The factor I care about most is LRR, given the short range of my car (~185 RM), but I have been unable find studies that compare the Goodyear tires to others.

The price difference was considerably more than 30% where I've been buying my tires and I have no way to know that I will get more mileage out of them -- the mileage others get is not applicable to my driving situation. I'll have to try it and see for myself sometime and haven't been willing to do the experiment yet.

The factor I care about most is LRR, given the short range of my car (~185 RM), but I have been unable find studies that compare the Goodyear tires to others.

When I bought my car in 2014, Tesla just changed from Goodyear to Michelin MXM4 because of the lower rolling resistance. They said they get 2 or 3% more range. At some point I had the Goodyear on my car and they didn't last as long as the Michelin. I don't remember the exact numbers. I think 20-30% difference. I tried Pirelli P7 and Hercules tires as well. The Hercules had worse grip especially on wet roads and lasted less. The Pirelli messed up the whole driving experience. Many issues. They did last long, though. I'm back on Michelin for now. Maybe I'll give the Goodyear another try.

When I bought my car in 2014, Tesla just changed from Goodyear to Michelin MXM4 because of the lower rolling resistance. They said they get 2 or 3% more range.
That's interesting; wasn't aware of why Tesla made the switch.
At some point I had the Goodyear on my car and they didn't last as long as the Michelin. I don't remember the exact numbers. I think 20-30% difference. I tried Pirelli P7 and Hercules tires as well. The Hercules had worse grip especially on wet roads and lasted less. The Pirelli messed up the whole driving experience. Many issues. They did last long, though. I'm back on Michelin for now. Maybe I'll give the Goodyear another try.
Did you like the Michelin MXM4s? I could give them a try the next time I need new tires, which will be about a year and a half. Better rolling resistance plus a bit better mileage might make it worth it. If they are quieter that would be a bonus (my Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires are very quiet but that may be because of the softer rubber).

Last edited:
That's interesting; wasn't aware of why Tesla made the switch.Did you like the Michelin MXM4s? I could give them a try the next time I need new tires, which will be about a year and a half. Better rolling resistance plus a bit better mileage might make it worth it. If they are quieter that would be a bonus (my Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires are very quiet but that may be because of the softer rubber).

I went through a lot of tires. I have 175k miles on my Model S. The Michelin are my favorites. I keep going back to them. But I might try those Dunlop tries mentioned above next time. At less than half the price they might be a good overall deal. Dunlop isn't a bad brand.

I went through a lot of tires. I have 175k miles on my Model S. The Michelin are my favorites. I keep going back to them. But I might try those Dunlop tries mentioned above next time. At less than half the price they might be a good overall deal. Dunlop isn't a bad brand.

Wow, 175k miles!! Did you have to do any major repairs? Is the car still driving it like a new?

How many times did you have to change tires?

Wow, 175k miles!! Did you have to do any major repairs? Is the car still driving it like a new?

How many times did you have to change tires?

No major repairs. A coolant valve ($300) was the only out of warranty repair so far. I had to replace the 12 Volt battery ($240) but that was my own fault (don't ask). It would have been up for replacement soon anyways. Other than that, just wipers, tires, cabin air filters. Nothing major. Brakes look like almost new. I think I should flush brake fluid and maybe the DU oil as well. Everything holds up really well. Except the paint. It looks pretty beat up. Tesla's paint quality in not up to par. I went through 3 sets (4) of Michelin, 2 Hercules, 2 Goodyear. Car drives like new, accelerates faster than the sticker said. Supercharging is 20% slower than when it was new. Lost about 11% or range. The car is 4.5 years old. Never planned on driving so much but now that we have it we use it the most.

No major repairs. A coolant valve ($300) was the only out of warranty repair so far. I had to replace the 12 Volt battery ($240) but that was my own fault. It would have been up for replacement soon anyways. Other than that just wipers, tires, cabin air filters. Nothing major. Everything holds up really well. Except the paint. It looks pretty beat up. Tesla's paint quality in not up to par. I went through 3 sets (4) of Michelin, 2 Hercules, 2 Goodyear. Car drives like new, accelerates faster than the sticker said. Supercharging is 20% slower than when it was new. Lost about 11% or range. The car is 4.5 years old. Never planned on driving so much but now that we have it we use it the most.

That's awesome. More reason to like electric vehicle.

Are you planning to keep driving until 300K+ miles? :D

Or maybe a time for a new Tesla? :rolleyes:

That's awesome. More reason to like electric vehicle.

Are you planning to keep driving until 300K+ miles? :D

Or maybe a time for a new Tesla? :rolleyes:

I plan on keeping it for the time being. Not sure how long. The longer I drive it, the more money I save. The running cost of my Model S is rather low. I know some repairs will come up but I will try to do most of it myself if I can. Just replaced a broken pin on my charge port myself.

First set of MXM4's lasted 45k miles, rotated once. Did a lot of long distance driving.
Second set of MXM4's have 20k miles on them, they might have another 10k at most. Very limited long distance driving this set.