Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tire leak when cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla cannot find leak, pretty much since day one. 2018 awd long range 18 inch oem rim. it goes all summer without a problem, but when we hit a cold spot it loses 20 pounds over the weekend. I'm inclined to think a porous rim, or dissimilar metals in tps. Anybody else have this problem?

Whenever I have a leak I can't find, I take the wheel off and roll it into the pool and hold it underwater. Even a tiny leak will form a bubble occasionally and pop to the surface. Maybe yours would leak if you drop it in some cool water. I suppose in a pinch you could put it in a bathtub and check sections at a time.

The last time I had to do that I found what looked like a wire or one leg of a staple. It was so tiny there was no way to see it but a bubble formed. The tire was only leaking maybe one PSI per week. You might have something like that going on and the hardening of the rubber in colder weather just doesn't let it conform to the puncture as well as when it is warm.

Mike

I had a strange issue with my rear tires this past winter. Sitting in the garage, one tire would lose 10 psi over night. I have a compressor so aired it up. This happened repeatedly for a week. Then one day it's fine but the opposite tire lost 10 psi. Then it was fine.

Rather than taking a tire off and dunking it in a pool, it's pretty easy to use soapy water. The leak will blow bubbles.

The density of the tire changing based on temperature seems to make sense.

Rather than taking a tire off and dunking it in a pool, it's pretty easy to use soapy water. The leak will blow bubbles.

That's always the first step which I suspected was already done. There's one problem with soapy water: it's soapy... so it has bubbles. :) If you have a very slow leak, it can be impossible to find with this method. Dunk the wheel and move it around a bit: the only bubble will be the one at the leak.

Mike

The tire was low when I first drove the car new from tesla. I thought it was just poor prep, as tesla was having a lot of problems then and filled it up when I got home. Almost 4 years ago. Multiple visits to the dealer, including one time they called me to tell me the computer told them it was low and to bring it in. We had the tire and TPS replaced less than a year ago. The tire guy did not find a leak, but we wanted the car to be reliable and paid out of pocket. The problem has been consistent . about 15# loss per night when the temperature is low. When my wife was working from home over the peak of the epidemic, it wasn't such a big deal. But now she has to go into the office, and into the main office 75 miles each way once or twice a week. And she simply can't trust the car.